1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN ranks Astros as #15 in MLB

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RootHouston, Feb 11, 2015.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

did not expect us to be ranked this high. thought CWS would be higher as well, considering their offseason

2. RootHouston

RootHouston Member

Yeah, I didn't expect anyone in the media to think we're better than the Rangers and A's either.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Above the Padres after their offseason? Plus they're rumored to have made an aggressive offer to Cole Hamels. Nice to finally see some 'Stro love after almost a decade of dismal seasons.

4. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Nice to see someone in the media not taking a steaming pile of crap on the Astros (looking at you Peter Gammons). Hope they make some nice strides this year.

2 people like this.
  5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

even if this is the only projection over .500...pretty awesome that the team has improved enough to get to the point that 1 person is willing to go out on a limb

6. mick fry

mick fry Member

Making our way to that SI 2017 WS winner prediction.

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

I also have a sneaking suspicion that the sum total of all the Padres' moves is going to be a bust. If they end up with Hamels, I'll amend that though.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Shields was a nice move, though always risk for an aging pitcher who played in front of a good defense.

I like Upton, but they should have got other Braves OF for what they paid.

Kemp...horrible deal.

Shields and Upton move the needle (about 5 wins), but the starting point was not good. Hamels would make their offseason make sense outside of Kemp. The Padres look to be run by the Grocer. I am not an expert on the Padres situation, but the bird's eye view looks like they are taking one last, weak shot at playoffs before they sink. Hamels would definitely change the perception of their playoff odds.

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

It should be a great year for Houston's sports.;)

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Kemp was a very good offensive player last year.

They also picked up Wil Myers.

I think the big concerns are: 1) Health 2) Defense 3) How these power hitters will be affected by Petco

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It just seems like that year after year, there's one team that goes nuts in the offseason...only to fall flat on their asses when it comes to actually playing games. IMO, the Padres are this team for 2015. They've done well but there are still holes that could sink them.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Matt Kemp is bad defensively. An average player for now..not worth the 75 million or so dollars the Padres owe him.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

No way is he as bad defensively as he was last year (unless they put him in center).

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It is hard to believe, but It isn't like he made a bunch of errors. He just can't run.

Now offensively, last year was his second best. Very doubtful he repeats that.

15. Salvy

Salvy Member

Haven't watched the Astros since Clemens, Andy Petite and Lance Berkman.... Don't know any of the players...... Used to be a hardcore Astros fan, is it time for me to return or do I go back to hibernation?

16. Buck Turgidson

Yay arbitrary rankings!

I personally think they're 17th.

17. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How do you used to be a hardcore fan? But yes it's OK to return to your local baseball team as a fan. Good day and enjoy the show.

18. Salvy

Salvy Member

I mean I used to be a hardcore Astros fan, I watched every game and bought the merchandise and went to the games and played with the Astros on high heat baseball 2003 and Astros baseball was pretty much my life outside of school. Then they lost the world series and I was crushed and just couldn't do it anymore, I also had this thing called life happened and I started college so that took up most of time. Forgot about the Astros.... But recently I have been remembering the good old times. Would like to get back into the Stros....

19. Buck Turgidson

So you were a hardcore fan from '02-06 or so? The "good old times"?