1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

ESPN ranks Astros as #15 in MLB

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RootHouston, Feb 11, 2015.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hear you buddy, well welcome back, just try not to run off so easily next time.

2. Salvy

Salvy Member

Yup, you nailed it! 2001-2006.... I was in middle school when I started watching them and that's only because I had nothing to do on a Sunday (I think) and I had a cold. Flipping through the channels and The Houston Astros were on.... I was not big into sports and had no idea how baseball was played or the rules. But I clearly remember that game, it was Shane Reynolds vs The Mets? Maybe it was Dodgers.... But I know for a fact it was Shane Reynolds pitching. Oh it was the cubs! I remember the grass walls! Anyways, I was bored watching the game but felt cool thinking to myself "I'm watching the baseball game, I'm grown now" something special happened the next time they were on and I recognized some of the people I had seen in the first game. Bagwell and Biggio and HIDALGO!!!!!!! I was hooked and that led my interest into The Rockets (Sigh, the Mo Taylor and Steve Francis era) Been Watching Rockets ever since thou.... Don't think I've missed too many Rockets game....

3. RootHouston

RootHouston Member

Don't be a bandwagoner. If the Astros suck or don't, a fan sticks with the team. Unfortunately, too many Houstonians just don't get this.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

The funny part is, you have more time to watch random sports and other things in college than any time in the future.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I am a big baseball fan so I've stuck with it. But in peoples defense, Baseball isn't exactly a riveting sport if your team is terrible. I could see how casual fans would split when times got tough.

Basketball and Football are much more enertaining sports on a casual basis, but close games in a pennant chase are hard to top.

6. The Law

The Law Member

The best part about good seasons is remembering all the suck you had to endure to get there. Checking out during the down times and coming back to reep the reward is in no way "Hardcore." It is merely the pure definition of a band wagoner.

That being said, the Astros need the bandwagoners to buy tickets too, because the Juice Box can really rock when there is a buzz about our Astros.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

One of the big reasons I'm happy that I moved back to the area is the ability to take my sons to games. We've been to plenty of Round Rock Express games over the years and they loved it. Over the past 2 seasons, they actually sat down and watched the game and asked questions. Now, they'll get to see what it all meant there at RR. I'm already looking at the early season weekday day games so I can take them. It makes it even better that it's coming at a time when the Astros should be better and that will hopefully help them get hooked. My oldest is 9, turning 10 in Sept. I was just a year older in 1986 and I was hooked after that season.

8. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I'm looking forward to this. The Astros were always pretty good through my boyhood, culminating in the 05 World Series team when I was a freshman in college. I stuck it out through the past 5 years going to ~5 games a season and dreaming on prospects. This is the first time I'm going to feel like I really have something invested in the success of these young guys.

9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

This is really an important year for the front office and Crane. Expectations are pretty high compared to any year in a long time. If we see regression from guys like Dallas, Colin, Altuve, Carter and some of the new guys don't perform, and the team struggles to win 65 games, from a "fan" aspect it's gonna be ugly

I don't see that happening, but for a team with no "real" playoffs expectations this is a pretty dang big year

10. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I really hope they do well, there's nothing like having a good baseball team in town.

If they get pretty good, and people stat riding the bandwagon, I can say, "I've had my gear since 2013!" :)

11. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I am an Astros fan since i can remember.
    How big of a fan? Well, i am born and raise in Puerto Rico, and STILL and Astros fan. Only one time in the World Series, AND STILL an Astros fan.
    I've gone to Houston and watch the Astros 4 times. Gooooo Astrossss

I love talking baseball, so guys, lets do it, lol

12. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

30+ year Astros fan. I have never paid more attention to the Astros minor league players than I have in the last several years. A lot of it is due to the excellent info posted in this forum (thanks Nick). Will be even cooler to watch them get to the big leagues, knowing where they came from.

13. RootHouston

RootHouston Member

I have to disagree. Baseball is one of the best sports to watch even if your team is doing poorly overall. This is the game where anyone can win any particular game. Even the best teams don't sweep all of the time. If you take every game for what it is, and don't try to make it about the whole season, it's plenty watchable.

Football and basketball are the opposite of this. The better team will almost always win.

14. msn

msn Member

word.

greatest. game. ever.

Pretty sure they play baseball in heaven.