1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Jul 2, 2012.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Early start? I suppose :grin:

Thought it might be interesting to have a lot of back discussion to look at when that time grows near. See what speculation and thoughts bear fruit and not.

On this July 2nd 2012 day we are currently the 4th pick and 2.5 games behind the 1st pick (San Diego & Ch - Cubs) and 1.5 games behind the 3rd pick (Colorado).

Some thoughts come to mind regarding the 2013 Draft.

Will they change any of the rules? Will we be able to work the 2013 Draft like the 2012 one whereby we save money on some high picks in order to sign hard-to-sign lower picks?

Will the team continue its slide and actually have a shot at the #1 again or will we rebound and end up in maybe the #7 - #10 range?

2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Trade Lee, Myers, Lyon, Wandy etc. TANK TANK TANK!!!!!

One more draft like this last one and one more trade haul and the Stros will be ready. Payroll will be next to nothing after this purge and the farm is really coming around.

Like the Rockets org should learn you have to have a couple of down seasons to rebuild properly.

3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Hah, early but always fun to talk about!

They won't change any rules. The new collective bargaining agreement that put the new draft rules in place lasts until 2016.

We 'could' pull a repeat of the 2012 draft and save money on the high picks to get some tough-signs BUT I wouldn't bet on it. As its been mentioned before (in many places), there were a whole lot of factors at play that led to our 2012 draft. Namely:
    - By virtue of the 1st pick, we had the 2nd highest draft pool.
    - No clear cut #1. Basically the top 8 were very interchangeable.
    - The slot value at #1 was way higher than the signing value of any of said 8 players.
    ----> We had to opportunity to pick whoever was willing to take the low-ball offer.

If we have the #1 pick next year and there's a Strasburg/Harper level player available, I have no qualms about signing them at slot/over-slot value. There's simply no substitute for drafting an all-star talent who can make it to the majors in two years or less. I love the Correa pick but I won't be surprised if it takes him 5 years to get to the big leagues.

To answer your question on where we'll finish: we just lost 5/7 to two of the teams we're chasing for the #1 pick. I'd say we're a good shot for the #1 pick again. I mean, c'mon, our hitting is abysmal. :(

Eh.... to be honest, I seriously doubt trading any or all of those players makes us that much worse. A) they're not performing great anyway B) we're already pretty damn bad.

I just want the farm reload.

#3 xcrunner51, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  4. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Crazy Astros are a lot better than last year and they're still slotted for the 4th pick :grin: It's a long road back but they will get there!

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If there is a Strasburg/Harper level player as a consensus #1 and we have the first pick, then its a no brainer. At least for the first pick. Does anyone know what the draft class of 2013 looks like at this point? Is it too early to have some favorites?

At this point, I am halfway hoping they keep Mills and most of the current players around for the rest of the year.

1) Giving both the entire rest of the season, there would remain little doubt going into next year who is up to the task and who is not.
    2) If this bunch turns it around, great. But if they slide into the top pick (worst record), it can/will give us that much more firepower to scoop up come draft time.
    3) Related to 1), I like the idea of being as certain as one can be about staff and players before you bury or flush them. We have time right now to give each and every person in the organization a chance to succeed. I really hate losing someone who ends up flourishing at his next stop. The slower approach also makes the brain trust look better in that they give the appearance at least of sticking by people and not making quick decisions about them.

The day (hopefully) will come when a guy has a narrow time window to succeed. That is, there are proven and ready guys (ripe farm hands) right behind them to take their place. The luxury one has with a strong farm vs the one we have come to know lately :)

6. xcrunner51

Eh, I know jack squat about the next draft but a quick google search revealed one 2013 mock draft and a few top 2013 prospect lists.

-Mock Draft
    -MLB.com 2013 prospects
    -ESPN HS top 60 of 2013
    -2013 MLB draft prospects from minorleaguebaseball.com (Sickel's website)

Doesn't appear to be any Strasburg's or Harpers yet, but a lot can change in one year.

.... or in the Astros case no one steps up and they just pick the cheapest, again.

7. xcrunner51

I can tell you who will be a 2nd/3rd round pick of the Astros though. One Mr. Cavan Biggio. :)

8. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Yeah I recall about a year ago a bunch of people on here were talking about Nick Williams going #1....and he went 93rd.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Depends on his senior season, but you do have to think the team would be tempted to draft him.

I'm actually very surprised that McLane didn't have them draft Connor with a late round pick.

10. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

I really wish we had picked Nick Williams with the 61st. I'd rather have him than Nolan Fontana. Nick is going to outhit all of our picks from this draft. Well, maybe Tucker or Ruiz will outhit him, but I'd have gone with Nick.

I love the draft, but Nick is a hometown boy, who had a penchant to sign (switching from UT to ATM), and we missed him. Switching his resolve from the Rangers to the Astros is less of a change than from the burnt orange to maroon.

BUT - given that we didn't take Nick (I feel better for having cried about it, thank you), we can take Austin Meadows with the #1 OVERALL pick in the 2013 draft, which we will resolutely earn over the next couple months.

#10 pariah, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  11. xcrunner51

I'm pullin for the hometown kid as much as the next person (I live in Galvy) but the system is already loaded with raw, toolsy outfielders. Fontana is a great contrast to the rest of the high ceiling/high risk players we drafted. He's the kind of guy I see playing at least 10 years in the bigs. I picture him and Villar being the bridge between Lowrie and Correa.

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, though -- the Biggios clearly don't need the money, and Craig himself went to college. It very well could've been a "don't bother".

13. juicystream

I'm sure they weren't going to sign him, just thought seemed a reasonable choice in the 50th round. Maybe 2014.

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Eh. We're 4 games better than we were last year at this point. It's a little better, not a lot.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

We still had Pence and Bourn at this point last year.

16. juicystream

Our current lineup's two biggest weaknesses.

17. xcrunner51

I know BPA is always the way to go with the draft but here's to hoping the BPA is a top-tier college pitcher like David Price or Gerrit Cole. We badly need some top-tier pitching prospects to make it to the bigs in 2014 when all the hitting prospects start rolling in.

And if a Strasburg jumps out of the woodwork, no complaints :)

18. juicystream

I don't even need a Strasburg. I'll settle for a Chris Sale. :grin:

19. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

This was a great draft. With the savings we made on Correra we were able to make risky draft choices with signability issues and end up signing them. Great Draft for Luhnow and Heck. I really like the direction our farm system is heading.

20. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

damn i read the title as 2012. it's just been one of those days.