1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by magman, Mar 7, 2015.

1. magman

magman Member

Anyone watch this? I gave it a go and I was surprised by how good it was. Really enjoyed it. Felt like it came out of nowhere.

If you liked 30 Rock, I really recommend it. Same heightened reality vibe from 30 Rock, and same type of humor. Tina Fey produced so it's a given.

2. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

My wife and I just plowed through the first five episodes. It's great! Definitely everything that's right about a Tina Fey kind of show.

I really like the main girl from the Office, too.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It's got the same feel as the Fox (and ABC) millenial sitcoms, but those aren't exactly ratings winners so I can see why networks would pass on it.

Kemper is a ball of energy though, thank goodness she didn't just fall back on the family fortune.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Ellie Kemper is awesome. So fun to watch. She's the reason the show really works.

I've enjoyed the first season a lot. Nothing special, but definitely fun for a weekend binge.

5. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

It's giving me some good chuckles. Kemper was definitely the perfect pick for this role

6. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I have a huge crush on Ellie.......

7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I think it's been good

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'd break her.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd like to plow through the Office girl, regardless of how weird she seems. She's packing some hidden goozers in there.

1 person likes this.
  10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Stay classy, CF.

I was a huge 30 Rock fan so I think I'm going to have to give in and sign up for Netflix. Haven't seen House of Cards yet either so that will be an extra bonus.

11. VanityHalfBlack

She is a babe!

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

Everyone plays their part so well. Tituss Burgess is a scene stealer, for sure.

Could have done without all the "Dong" jokes though. And for it being on Netflix, I wish they would have been a little more edgy with stuff in the dialogue.

Oh well, there's always next season to troll the respawn, Jeremy.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Really great show.I think I like it more than 30 Rock, the characters are more likable

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Why did they get a korean guy to play a vietnamese person. His accent and mannerisms is all wrong.

15. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

UKS getting lowkey fire for being racist towards Asians and Native Americans, apparently.

But this show is great. Tituss Burgess is hilarious.

Martin Short's character makes me nauseous.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I wouldn't bet on it with the sitcoms, part of Netflix's hopeful revenue stream is syndication and secondary distribution, advertisers and possibly consumers probably don't expect or tolerate their sitcoms to have excessive vulgarity.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

Well, this was meant to be a network TV comedy at first, right? Just, corporations wouldn't pick it up, so it went to Netflix?

Just like with House of Cards and other 'flix programming, I don't think Netflix requires the bonus of its shows being syndicated. Not saying they wouldn't welcome it, though.

And I don't mean 'edgy' as in 'vulgar.' I mean edgy as in comedy akin to something similar to shows on FX. I thought the first few Dong jokes were great, but there was just too much of the same joke.

There's nothing wrong with UKS though. Probably the funniest comedy that came out this TV season.

18. VanityHalfBlack

I see what you did there. Actually no I don't. What's going on here?

19. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I like Kemper, good to hear this is solid. I was looking for something else to start watching, not surprised to hear it's a bit tame but it was meant to be an NBC show before they passed on it and Netflix scooped it up.

I'd assume season 2, if there is one, would be a bit edgier.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I was actually being serious. Its like Jennifer Lopez playing a French person. It comes off poorly. They would been better off saying he was Korean. The only reason I see them saying he is Vietnamese is so they have all the Dong jokes, though I think the name Phuc is a lot funnier.

#20 rockbox, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015