1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Patrick Beverley our 2013 Sam Cassell?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GoRox2013, Dec 2, 2013.

1. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Their games are similar. Both didnt have high expectations coming in but are counted on to make big plays now. When Bev tipped in that shot against San Antonio, it gave me the same feelin I got when Sam Cassell hit some of those big shots during our championship run. Both give off the same energy and compete harder than anybody on the court. If Harden & Howard blossom this year, do you guys see Beverly playing the same role as Cassell? Are you guys seeing the same similiarities I'm seeing? Thoughts please.........

2. bongman

bongman Member

I personally don't see the similarities. Beverley is starting now while Cassell came of the bench. Cassell's role is to score while Bev is to defend. If anything, Lin might have a closer role resemblance. He comes of the bench and a lot of times for his offensive leadership and is usually playing to close out games.

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

My wish is that people would learn to spell his last name.

4. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

True enough, but from what I can remember Cassell started off the bench but eventually became a starter for a string of games. But Cassell always closed games just like Bev.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kenny was always the starter.

There's no real similarity in style or skill though. Sam's offensive game was killer and he was pure clutch city from the start.

I don't see Beverly ever having the offense that Sam has.

6. Play07

Play07 Member

bev hasnt had a 20point game yet with the rockets, & has had plenty of games where he played over 35-40mins

cassell max would be 30mins, and that didnt happen often

cassell had 20+ point games & put up 30+ points a few times in the playoffs with the rockets, 40+ point games with other teams.

bev is known for his pesky on ball defense, cassell is known as a spark on offense that can come in the game & get buckets.

7. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Beverley is clutch on defense and the board. He may not hit the big shots but he'll either keep our possessions alive or create extra possessions in critical moments. Beverley doesn't need to be Cassell, he just needs to keep being Beverley.

8. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I see Beverley is our 2013 Beverley.

9. bucket

bucket Member

Based on his personality and path to the NBA, he has some similarities with Elie, actually.

10. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

This. Very similar games even, in terms of 3 & D, with a bit of a floater, low turnover, low risk players. Key difference (other than height) is that Bev gambles more and gets bigger defensive stats (steals and blocks), whereas Elie was more of a position defender (never with big steals or blocks numbers).

11. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Now that's a comparison that makes sense! Both tough players who are known for their hustle, tough minded plays and some three point shooting.

Also Chandler Parsons is like the Great Robert Horry, I think would be another worthy comparison. As both a jack of all trade type forwards. I do think Horry was way more athletic but Parsons seems to be the better all around offensive weapon.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

No, Cassell was our 1994 Beverley.

Tinman faints.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

1994 Cassell hit a 3 to win a game in the nba finals on the road.

Plus no annoying Kenny Smith only fans hating on him.

14. Maikeru

Maikeru Member

Haha;) Took me a few seconds to get what the Kenny Smith only fans was referring to. Thanks for the chuckle ( Though I am a supporter of he who may not be named ).

PS. I think AB's game is more like Cassell than Bevs

15. tinman

Supporting Member

AB is definitely more Cassell than Bev.

Cassell is more James Harden. A money jump shooter.

Once Harden left the 6th man role in OKC, his talent was on full display.

Same with Cassell. Remember that Bucks team with Cassell and Ray Allen?
    Cassell was #2 in the league in assists behind Kidd one year and he was scoring close to 20 a game.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zhtMHCBlYYU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Parsons is a much, much better offensive player than Horry. Horry was a great, and extremely versatile defender, but offensively his game was exclusively spot up 3's and finishes. Although he was a very good passer in the flow of the offense.

Likewise Cassell was light years ahead of Beverley offensively. He was often our second best offensive weapon.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qunCpYSvnqo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rInVDlgu6L0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

OP, their games definitely aren't similar. Sam was a remorseless assassin on offense who was incredibly clutch. He didn't offer much on defense. Beverly is an attack dog on defense who doesn't do much on offense besides shoot 3-pointer jumpers. Beverly also attacks the offensive glass which was something Sam didn't do.

Sam also had dreams of stardom which he freely shared with anyone who would listen. Beverly is a humble, bring-your-lunchpail type of guy who cares nothing for the limelight.

One similarity is they both like getting in the heads of opposing PGs. Sam did it by hitting shots and talking nonstop. He could be very annoying. Beverly does it by harassing, pushing and shoving on defense, sometimes after the whistle. It was awesome watching CP3 get ticked off at him earlier this season and Beverly deliberately bump into him during a stoppage in play.

There is no Sam Cassell on this Rockets team. Please don't even mention the erratic AB, who is the antithesis of cool, calm, composed Sam.

19. Play07

Play07 Member

Lin can be that Sam cassell type player for us, if he can come off the bench aggressive like he has but do that in the playoffs & limit the turnovers.

20. langal

langal Contributing Member

lin more like cassell. BeverLEY not like Cassell at all.