1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Appears Ford Mustang was onto something...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Fatty FatBastard, Jan 11, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Fatty FatBastard

Here's the new Camaro:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the new Dodge Challenger:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like the "retro" look is here to stay.

Personally, I think they both look awesome.

2. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I've been thinking for many many years car companies should do this. I like it.

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I thought Chevy stopped making the Camaro?

4. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

The Camaro is stunning, I wonder though if it will be priced higher than in the past or if it will compete penny-for-penny with the Mustang.

Nothing like an American pony car for the weekends. :cool:

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

They did. So they can wait a coupla years and have the "new" Camaro. What? You don't understand marketing? :)

I think GM/Ford/etc. have run out of ideas. They're just saying let's bring back crap from the 60's and have people go ape over it. It should be interesting to see what shape GM is in in the next 5-10 years as both they and Ford are having all kinds of issues with plants closing and employee layoffs. Meanwhile, China is waiting in the wings to invade America's shores...

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think the Camaro is hideous - a bullfrog on steroids, but the Challenger looks nice. I also like the looks of the new Mustang, but can't stand the Dodge Charger.

7. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

LOL! Exactly! It's like the whole 'new coke vs. old coke' thing. Now GM can say, "...and back by an overwhelming demand, the new Camaro!" :)

Unless Americans go broke and make as much money as the average Chinese, there will be little to no appeal whatsoever for those Chinese cars. There are already superior quality vehicles in the States that sell for very cheap and occupy that niche in the market, they're called 'Korean' cars.

8. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I'm trying to find a way to score the '07 Shelby GT500, but it's not looking good...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm starting to eyeball a basic '06 GT and then start modding the hell out of it. True to Pony War form, I don't like the "new" camaro, but that Challenger is right on the money.

http://www.mustangheaven.com/stangspecs/2007cobra/07cobra_main.htm

#8 Falcons Talon, Jan 11, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  9. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

As a Mustang owner, I love the new Stang... I also love the Challenger, looks so close to my uncle's purple 70, very nice, I like. The Camaro on the other hand looks like a Cadillac rip-off.

DoD, I don't think America's car makers are running out of ideas, I think they've finally figured out that Americans who like American cars want cars that look American. American automakers didn't learn their lesson in the 70s when they started churning out Japanese wannabes, and I think they've finally figured out that there are millions of us out there who want cars with some bite.

There is pleny of market for Asian, Euro and American rides and I think US automakers have realized that and instead of copying other styles they are going back to the cars that made them who they are.

10. tested911

tested911 Member

sorry but there is no orginality coming out of chevy... It looks like a cross between an Old GtO, Mustang, and Rear-end Corvette...

But on the positive side finally the American Car makers are chaging the interior. Which have been the same for about 10+ years..

11. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

i totally agree... the cararo's just plain ugly, but the charger looks great. my only problem is the side mirrors. i never liked those type of mirrors on any car. if i had the money... i'd buy it, black of course.

12. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Camero is hideous. Challenger looks good except for the back.

13. Win

Win Contributing Member

I really like the trend of retro's in the American car industry, but then I've long been a muscle car fan, albeit my fav was the AMX/Javelin.

That new Challenger looks perfectly BADASS to me. The body style is VERY similar to the original and really works well with the updated touches. That hood dipping over the front of the headlights is positively sinister - as a Challenger should.

The new Camaro however misses the mark. That grill is attrocious and the tacked on vette style rear end doesn't help either. Thumbs down on what could have been a killer.

Now, if Chrysler (who bought out AMC/Jeep) would just bring back the AMX. I know - it will never happen.

14. Fatty FatBastard

Camaro's new interior:

[​IMG]

Challenger's new interior:

[​IMG]

15. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Weird. I find all the new Mustangs to be absolutely hideous. The rims on the wheels are too smallish or something. Looks like a fat tire around a little rim. The ass end looks way too high or something. And the interior is plain ol hideous.

That Charger looks allright. But the front end and back end look terrible and through it all off for me. Something about the headlights looking squished up in the front end.

That new Camaro though is bad ass. The messy looking crossing bars in the grill could go bye bye but other then that, it looks like it would run over your mother and smile about it.

16. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

The Challenger is pure badassness..

The Camaro looks like crap IMO, the back half of the car is nice though..

17. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

i'm not sold on the camaro yet, it looks like a caddy to me... the charger is awesome and the mustang is sweet as well.... now, if they'll bring back the trans am i'll be set!

18. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

I bought a 2005 Mustang back in May and its been one of the best things I've done. The car looks fantastic and perfroms great. My dad had a '67 Mustang and really liked the new Mustang when I took it by for my parents to see.

One of my co-workers has the new Dodge Charger and she loves it, but I'm not too keen on the body style as it looks just like the Dodge Magnum.

The new Camaro looks alot like the Chrysler prototype that came out last year, the Challenger looks great.

19. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

dude that Challenger is AWEsOME!!!

and price, spec info??

20. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I like the retro move. If I wanted to drive a spaceship I'd work at NASA. What do you guys think of the Chrysler Imperial concept? I think it looks like a RR but I'd hate to buy a freakin German car.