1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelvin Sampson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T_Man, May 3, 2016.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I don't think a pending extension at UH would prevent Sampson from becoming the Rockets' new coach. That is if both sides wanted it.

2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

No, our defense under him was average. I'll grant you it got worse when he left, but it wasn't great to begin with.

3. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

They already shot those rumors down. I'll be pissed if he left UH for the Rockets. It would hurt my Coogs and this bball program more than it helps my Rockets.

4. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

He was running the Rockets' offense at UH better than the Rockets were doing this season.

5. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

As a Rockets fan, I'd love the hire.

As a Coogs fan, I'd hate it

6. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

He had the defense nice and tight before he left and I was very content with him running the defense. It hasn't been the same since.

7. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

I'm a die hard UH fan and alumnus, but Kelvin Sampson couldn't even get UH's team past the first round of the conference championship as the number 2 seed against a team with a losing record. You can make the argument about the team having injuries or not really having a dependable big man, but that game could have been won with coaching alone. Give them 2 free throws instead of a three--sound familiar?

Just like this season's Rockets team, they showed up against some big name match ups (LSU early in the season, SMU, UConn, etc) but lost against teams they should have been blowing out.

As much as I love Coach Sampson for UH and love the idea of him developing a program, the Rockets are in win-now mode and need a tough, competent coach that can confidently go against the Warriors and the Spurs and put up a fight against them.

8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Wasn't it like weeks before the playoffs? Our defense immediately took a hit.