1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we just take a second to appreciate The Avett Brothers?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lurch, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

The Avett Brothers are releasing a new album this summer. This is a letter they released to their fans via their website a few weeks ago.

Here is the first single, "Ain't No Man"

https://youtu.be/21ystqlD_Rk

As a fan, I love watching them grow. I have seen them in concert twice and they were the best shows I have ever been to.

They get better and better with every album. As a fun of music in general, I love seeing how much they love what they do and care about what they put into their albums.

1 person likes this.
  2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Sure I'll take a second to appreciate these guys I've never heard of...wait...nope...nevermind.

3. Buck Turgidson

tl;dr

They do put on a great live show.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Queue the gratuitous banjo.

I want to like them, but their "quirky non-threatening sensitive guy" thing sometimes feels a little calculated and forced, like it was put together by the same people who design fast food marketing campaigns to have as broad and bland an appeal as possible.

And that really sounds a whole lot more bitter and upset about them than I really feel, but there is a feeling I get about them that pops up when listening that the whole thing isn't as spontaneous and carefree as they seem to want you to think.

5. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fBQZnHv74dQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Seeing them at Red Rocks this summer.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This sounds like the complaints about JJ Watt. Not quite sure he's really that genuine and would rather assume the worst rather than just appreciating what he is.

Maybe they are putting on a bit of an act or maybe not. I love their music and try not to worry about that stuff too much until there is something to actually worry about.

You b*stard. That would be an awesome venue to see them. I've seen them at their ACL Festival sets in the past. Missed them last year at The Woodlands Pavilion.

{EDIT} I'm fairly certain one of the ACL sets I saw them play was with RM95...

#7 leroy, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  8. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

I saw them at Shaky Knees in Atlanta last year. Great experience.

9. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

I'm sure all you fans are already familiar with this. But just in case, I found it a couple of months ago on Amazon Prime and I'm still not sure how I feel about it, like really strange fusion cuisine where you really aren't sure whether hoisin sauce really belongs on tamales...

One of the Avett Brothers put out a whole album of Elliott Smith covers last year. KEXP recorded them in studio.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X-EKr5FPFPk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Saw them in 2007 in Ithaca NY, and they're pretty much been my favorite group ever since. The Rick Rubin-produced albums have been really good imo, and have done a lot to bring them a wider audience.

the rooftop videos are great:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NXT4YJekeXc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Lol....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gWltZIHNRkA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The nightmare of turning *this* into something that is conceptually a fit for "Country Top 40" or whatever..

#12 Ottomaton, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016