1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Point Guard Prospects for Rockets in 2015 Draft: Jerian Grant vs. Kris Dunn vs. Delon Wright

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Clutch, Mar 23, 2015.

?

If Rockets pick late lotto and go point guard, who would you like to see in Houston?

1. Jerian Grant (Notre Dame)

59 vote(s)
    44.0%
  2. Kris Dunn (Providence)

38 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. Delon Wright (Utah)

17 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Other (Please specify)

20 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

If the Rockets end up picking 14th like they hope, I would anticipate that they will still go best available player... however, the need at point guard might have them looking in this direction. And if so, there are three guys (right now) that are intriguing in that range.

Jerian Grant of Notre Dame, Kris Dunn of Providence and Delon Wright of Utah.

There is a Jerian Grant thread and a recent one for Delon Wright. I don't think there is one for Dunn.

If you haven't watched Kris Dunn, he looks very intriguing.

[youtube]WnpRJhIz7_A[/youtube]

He just turned 21 and is really just playing his first full season as a sophomore since he tore his labrum before his freshman year and re-injured the shoulder his second season. He was a blue chip recruit out of Connecticut and he checks a ton of boxes -- he's got good size, athleticism, wingspan, defensive potential, playmaking ability and he's improving as a shooter.

I have two real concerns with him -- his injury history with the right shoulder (which will be checked out in workouts/combine) and the fact that he's very turnover-prone (averaging over 4 turnovers per game).

Grant is a senior and is older -- he'll be 23 by training camp. He looks like a very good offensive player, shooting almost 49% from the field (though only 32% from three). He keeps turnovers down, but doesn't appear to be as explosive/athletic based on the eye test, though it looks like he gets the job done.

[youtube]xPcCtOTDGKc[/youtube]

And Wright is getting a lot of pub right now. He's the younger brother of NBA player Dorrell Wright. Shooting from distance is the real concern here, but he improved to 36% from deep this year (small sample) and his size, defense and ability to create are real strong qualities. Like Grant though, he'll be 23 years old when camp opens.

This is a good video about Wright:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/video/2015/03/18/rising-stars-delon-wright-utah

... and his highlights from last season.

[youtube]4bGLzGiX1ec[/youtube]

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've read this draft is light on point guards. It seems heavy on centers and power forwards. If the Rockets can manage to pick up a quality defensive center I'd be thrilled. So long as we have Dwight at that position I fear we're going to need a quality back up that can step in and start half of the season.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like Dunn's upside and his defense, but if the Rockets pass up on him because of his injury history that is ok with me.

Wright is nice, but he is a backup PG who might be available from 20-30.

Grant is Harvey's son and Horace's nephew. He has size, his playmaking is average and his shooting is average. He is an ok fit for the 14th pick, but I think Dunn's upside is good. He might be worth a gamble.

4. Normalus

Normalus Member

Kris Dunn is Crawford (LAC) like, but may never be any good in NBA.
    Jeriant Grant straight up bust if he enters NBA, that's my opinion based on my own research and scouting, you guys may have your own opinion and I'm not up to any debates...
    Delon Wright - great size for point-guard, old, but he is better than other two.

I'm good with both Dunn and Wright, both atleast knows other part of the game called defense. With Dunn, there is more risk but higher reward and with our roster I think he may be our pick. I voted for Wright tho.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

1. Dunn
    2. Wright
    3. Grant

Is how i'd rank them...

Understanding Grant might just have the best, longest NBA career.
    I ranked them on upside.

6. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

how about these guys? Jones of duke, Rozier of Louisville, Young of Oregon

7. basketballholic

My concerns with Grant are lateral quickness on the perimeter as an NBA perimeter defender combined with his lackluster shooting which is only going to be magnified playing in the NBA and even more so playing with Harden. I think he's a legit NBA playmaker. Sees the floor great. Plays the right way at the point. Makes the right passes. Can throw it all over the court, etc. But he's got to bring either shooting or defense with that playmaking to be a good fit for us and I don't see the lateral quickness to be a plus perimeter defender to go along with his mediocre shooting by college standards. Average to below average shooters in the NCAA translate to mediocre to poor NBA shooters.

Dunn has the quicks, length, and athleticism to be a defensive difference maker and he's a better shooter. Turnovers are a bit high but he's young and playing alongside Harden would minimize his playmaking. And so far at least, he offsets a good number of his turnovers by stealing the ball back. He gets his defensive mits on a lot of basketballs. My lord have mercy, if he's Jamal Crawford offensively, then that combined with what I see out of him defensively makes him a no-brainer in my book. Draft him already.

I'm personally not convinced Wright is an NBA point guard. I see a good college player who is neither strong enough, nor quick enough, nor athletic enough, nor a skilled enough shooter to do much more in the NBA but be a 14th - 15th man on the roster. Reminds me of guys like Mary Collins, Julius Hodge, etc. But I doubt he's as good as they are. If somebody can break down his game better for me and give me some sort of legit scouting report or video that shows his quickness/strength/athleticism is at NBA level I'll gladly reconsider my opinion on him.

Normalus, I would like to ask you, what info have you come across on Grant that convinces you he is going to bust? Is it a character issue? Work ethic? Intelligence? Or some skill deficiency?

#7 basketballholic, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Kris Dunn maybe the steal of the draft. I love his game.

9. Ubigman

Ubigman Member

10. newAge_Rockets

I am so biased, so I don't know how greatly accurate my opinion could be since I view Jerian through "kelly green" colored glasses, but of all these point guards I think he has the highest floor. As stated by Clutch, he'll be 23 by training camp but Morey has actually embraced older college basketball players (Canaan, Parsons, etc.)

Grant has an extremely high basketball iq, and he has proven to be able to make plays with the ball and play off ball. He has shown that he can hit 40% from 3 in a season and he also plays in a very similar offense to what we run. Like Houston in the NBA, Notre Dame takes leads the NCAA in three pointers taken per game. He creates so many open shots and short corner threes from his ability to penetrate the defense, draw defenders in, and kicking it out. He is also more than a capable finisher at the rim.

At the very least, I think Grant could be a great spark off the bench. I'll root for him wherever he goes next year.

11. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Terry Rozier is a good choice for Rockets! A poor man of Westbrooks!

12. Zbed

Zbed Member

Ryan Boatright? I think he's to small though

13. Zbed

Zbed Member

Obviously not with the Pels pick but maybe a late 2nd round pick?

14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

15. Sanity2disChaos

Dunn did it, for me.

16. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

I started the thread for Delon Wright, but I'm not going to pick any here, because based on projection Delon Wright is likely to be available for our NY second round pick. That'd be a good value pick.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It would totally be a Morey move though to pass on all these PG's and drafted a SG or PF.

If there was ever a draft to allow need to put a prospect ahead of another, this would be the year.

I've seen alot of Grant this year, but not much Dunn or Wright.

Based on these clips (hard to judge based on Youtube clips) the one thing I do see is that Wright kind of seems to move a bit methodical for a PG. That's a little concerning for me, and the shooting doesn't help his case for seeing time on this team.

But Dunn... man I need to go re-watch some more of his games. He looks pretty impressive, and I love the size and athleticism.

Grant, I've been wanting him all along. The guy is super competitive and I could see him fitting right in from his rookie year. That guy is solid all around.

18. basketballholic

Dunn's maturity and leadership on display here

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B_k-LD9mu8U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

What about a 4th option? Picking Tyrone Wallace in the 2nd round. I say his game is somewhat equal to Grant and Wright.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I agree with this. I am hoping Kevon Looney stays in the draft and Morey takes him with the Pel pick.