1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

More Adventures in Unemployed Clutchfans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Hayesfan, May 4, 2010.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Well I found out today that next Friday will be my last day (is it wrong to want to use all my personal days and sick days between now and then?)

Anyone have any experience with the Unemployment system?

2. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

I don't really have any helpful advice but good luck finding a new job. Lord knows a lot of people need it.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that and good luck on your job search. As far as taking your personal days, well you earned them so you might as well use them.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

May I ask why you will be unemployed? Layoffs, firing, or on your own? :confused:

If it were me, I would use these sick days or vacation days for employment search. There's nothing wrong with that, I think. :eek:

I know you will get paid for not working and show proof of at least searching for something while you're getting paid. I truly don't know how your state would work. Don't you get paid for your leftover VACATION days?

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I have experience with unemployment but in TX, I know you're in Ohio. Different states have different rules, Ohio's probably a little less pro business than TX. TX has strict rules on getting benefits

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i'm sure if she were fired she wouldn't have an opportunity to use her sick days

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Sorry to hear about that HayesFan hopefully you can find something real soon that you really love to do.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

For me, the question is whether you care what the current employer/co-workers think-- and whether there is really anything to do between now and then.

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

had my pay decreased last week... so I'm wanting to leave. Should I quit and have more time to look for a job, or try to squeeze it in my busy work day? I feel like I'm not getting anywhere...

Feeling your pain Hayesfan.

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

laying off... we do small business accounting and we've lost a ton of clients... not as much money coming in = less money going out by laying me off.

Not really anything for me to do... I'm trying to switch careers anyway. I need to find a teaching job in middle school math to finish my schooling in May.. so that's what I will be looking for.

11. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Not wrong to use up sick leave/vacation time if you have nothing to do and no deadlines to hit or anything.. (and if they're not going to pay you out on that anyway)

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Sigh, welcome to the club.

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

El Hitman may have an opening for you :grin:

14. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Definitely not wrong, but you might want to have that extra cash while you're looking for a new job. Will they pay you for the personal days if you don't use them?

15. fredy

fredy Contributing Member

I've used my sick days and personal days before and everything was fine with me before on another job.

Recently ive been thinking about leaving my job too. I'll also submit my application with El Hitman, haha :p

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Sorry to hear about that...I can walk you through the process in Tx, but i read you're not there...I am assuming you could google it for your state and I would recommend you apply immediately, like the very next day...

As for wanting to take sick leave/personal days, as long as its paid I don't see why not...

As they say, when one door closes, another one opens...Good Luck!!

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Bummer.

You should write for an NBA site.

18. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Sorry to hear that, good luck HF.

19. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Absolutely feel for you- first, do look into the unemployment benefits in your state- a Google search will do just fine. Then, The Job Search Plan (JSP):

1. Get all your career documents in order. At the minimum, you need:
    a. Resume
    b. Cover letter template
    c. Thank you letter template
    d. List of references (don't put these on your resume- keep them on a separate sheet)

On your resume:
    a. If you include your address and you seek out-of-state or out-of-area employment, either put Planning Relocation next to your address or leave the address off.
    b. For your email, use one that's professional sounding, no HotRod69@aol.com or something like that.
    c. Try to include as many positive items as you can- awards won, positive comments from performance evaluations, things you did to make the workplace better, goals that you met or exceeded, etc. Find the book Gallery of Best Resumes at Barnes & Noble- many good examples in there.

2. Use the sites in my signature below- particularly Simply Hired. If you're looking for a teaching job, they sort of do things in reverse- like, they'll ask for your references even before the interview. So, just follow the school district's guidelines for applying.

3. Send your resume out to anyone in your "network," circle, etc. Sometimes job leads can be secured from unlikely sources other than ads.

4. Contact your references and make sure you can use them as a reference.

5. Be confident in your interviews without being overconfident. There are literally 100s of possible interview questions you can prepare for, but what's really important is knowing what you do well and knowing about the company/department you are applying with.

That's the jist of it. Most people who follow at least those 5 put themselves in a much better position to succeed.

20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Good luck Hayesfan, you take those days, you earned them