1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Western Conf. Exec: Most NBA players are good guys because inner-city players are fading away

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/..._medium=share&utm_campaign=web-des-art-top-19

This is from Howard Beck's article on Danny Ferry. A couple of thoughts:

1. Seems a little biased, for the exec to say this. Is being a "good guy" mutually exclusive with being an "inner-city [player]"?

Perhaps a higher proportion of players from the inner city neighborhoods have troublesome circle of friends compared to those from more affluent backgrounds, but there are certainly plenty of exceptions. LeBron James is no more a gang-banger than Steph Curry is.

2. It has been mentioned by other journalists also that the NBA is "gentrifying" of late-- more players from middle class and affluent backgrounds, including a number of second generation players. Some opined that these guys tend to get formal coaching at a young age and come into the NBA with better jump shooting. The Warriors' backcourt is a prime example-- two second generation players who can shoot the hell out of the ball.

1 person likes this.
  2. conquistador#11

i like that the inner city kids are trading in their saggy pants for black watch plaid, bow ties and the eurostep.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is just my opinion and I might be totally wrong but I think that it has more to do with the evolving culture than anything else. In Allen Iverson's era being a "thug" was an amazing thing, you know getting into jail was a badge of honor and all that BS. In the new generation though, stuff like this might be seen as passe and oldie-moldie, you have guys like WB wearing fake glasses and a preppy look as part of fashion.

As far as basketball goes, I think it's just the fact that the NBA now has a mix of other country's playstyle, in the 90's to early 2000's was all about 1-on-1, ISO and breaking the opponent's ankles with a cross over for a step back J. I think the Olympic games setbacks prior to the Redeem Team pretty much proved that style was inferior though, and as a result you had team execs and aspiring players focusing on shooting and skill plays more. I think the NBA shift in rules also had an effect, when hand checking got banned players like CP3 and Steph Curry flourished when before they would'nt be able to survive the contact-heavy play of the NBA.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Walt, it wasn't an Atlanta Hawks executive who said this?

5. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

its more bc basketball isnt a violent sport..

its like futbol.. it has beauty.. the culture is different

football is like the military

6. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

basketball has international appeal... its worldwide. more diverse.

1 person likes this.
  7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

That's the influence of the NBA on the inner city. I didn't necessarily agree with the dress code policy that Stern pushed, but it certainly changed appearances not just of NBA players, but of easily influenced basketball fans who wanted to be like their heroes. I would say that's overall a good thing although I won't give Stern credit for it because he was just trying to make the league appear more palatable for corporate sponsors.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

inner city kids now wear hipster glasses and tight pants

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Shame on you Morey :grin:

10. rocketseagles07

Everyone started wearing fitted clothes not just nba players. Jay Z sets more fashion trends than anyone in the NBA. The trend just changed stern had nothing to do with that

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

"soft" may be a better word to use...although it's an insult too, i guess..

I think it's because it's better to go through the system, if you want to make it. Get on an AAU team and then go to a recognized high school, then a recognized college...it takes resources and support to do this, if you're not already middle to upper class, so the inner city kids who do make it, it's not just because they can play, but because they're doing better than most in the hood and look for a better situation, maybe have better connections, work harder, etc..the "good" survive.

And there does seem to be more second gen players too and most grew up with money and have connections. Coincidentally, I saw Nick Johnson started following Bibby's son today. I wonder if he'll be the next Curry. This picture is from a year ago and he's as tall as his dad. I think he still has a year or two left in HS.

<iframe src="//instagram.com/p/fbUCU_RXEQ/embed/" width="612" height="710" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

<iframe src="//instagram.com/p/fiaFa1xXPC/embed/" width="612" height="710" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

#11 RV6, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Iverson days are over. Thank goodness.

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

FWIW, JR Smith came from the 'burbs. Rotten players are rotten no matter where they came from. GMs are more savvy and less liable to be enamored by the streetball allstar who can crossover fools like none other yet not defend worth a lick.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Long live Iverson

I blame this on the p***y-whipped Doug Christies of the world

15. val_modus

val_modus Member

J Cole deserves the credit for this.

16. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

If J Cole deserves the praise, does that mean thug rappers like 2pac deserve the blame for the Thug ball player culture?

17. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

His character from Above the Rim certainly does :)

18. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Solid post though a bit overly simplified.

Unfortunately the thug culture is alive and well though people do seem a bit better overall nowadays. Also yes, good team basketball did exist in the 90's and 2000's.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

20. Nook

Nook Member

Jesus that is an ugly family.