1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Western Conf. Exec: Most NBA players are good guys because inner-city players are fading away

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Jet036

Jet036 Member

Why is that?

2. Jet036

Jet036 Member

say that to my face and I'll wreck you

3. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Yeah, all these players go to privileged schools. Better education and resources. And I'm not talking about college. Look at all the players lebron and up who went to various catholic prep schools.

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

It's all about priorities... Typically, to be truly successful at anything u have to be devoted to your craft and not worried about nonsense....

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Unnecessary generalization statement. I'd rather see data, a study, something that matters... and either way - I don't care. Iverson or Urkel, I don't care what the players do off the court. It's not like there was ever a major epidemic of NBA players brewing up meth or something.

6. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

These racist azz comments are gettin very common

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Why would someone question the looks of another family?

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

They have always been very common.

Player evaluation is such an important and uncertain business that NBA teams are eager for draw conclusions based on any kind of information, which may or may not be relevant-- Vertical leap, advanced stats, personal background (race and otherwise). When in doubt, a scout or front office guy will tend to throw a bunch of random tidbits into a report rather than admit that he or she doesn't know much important stuff about the player. Random stuff based on race is just another part of the NBA's "profiling" business.

This stuff didn't recently begin. The whole high IQ but soft Euro thing has been around forever, for example.

Also, a decade ago, a European big man prospect was described as being unusually tough for an European because he came from a pretty messed up "inner city" family in a war-torn country and was willing to bang. One "insider" told ESPN that, because of this, "the brothers will respect him." A pretty racial comment, no?

(Guess who the prospect in question is?)

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Are you Mike Bibby?

10. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

and skateboard apparently

11. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

We'll in Argentina Tevez is a god for being very hood (Arg version) while Messi is commonly refereed to as "The Spaniard" and accused of being born with a silver spoon. Even though he wasn't. Seriously, they don't really like Messi down there.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I recall Chad Ford describing Darko Milicic as a tough, inner city kid.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He talks like one.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/woWqSmichOo" allowfullscreen="" height="315" width="420" frameborder="0"></iframe>

:grin:

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Meth is doing to poor white rural America 10x the height of the epidemic of crack cocaine in the inner city black America. That's something that nobody talks about or notices. No matter who is suffering, you better believe meth is a plague that could shut down America and other leading nations of the world. It's just a horrid epidemic with very little to no media coverage of the consequences since it does effect mostly poor white rural America.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

We do have Breaking Bad, though.

16. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

I don't know about the "good guy" thing. That seems pretty ridiculous to me.

I will say that the amount of coaching and development that youth players receive is off the charts today. And it is much more likely that you have access to that coaching and skill development if you have more resources.

My son just turned 11 and he worked out intensely about 4 hours a day during the past summer. Now that school is back in session, he has four basketball training sessions and an athletic training session each week and plays 2-3 games on the weekend.

His team program costs between $2,100 and $2,800 a year. That doesn't include his athletic training ($30 each week), extra individual skill development sessions at $60 per training, camps, extra teams that he joins, etc. Anyhow, you get the idea. At 11, his training easily costs around $4,000 a year. Now, imagine that you have more than one kid...

If you can afford the training, you have an advantage. That part rings true. You still have to do something with the training of course, but it certainly gives you an advantage if you are willing to put in the work.

Youth basketball training is becoming a big business, and I expect the trend will continue. That means even more kids with middle-income and affluent backgrounds will be playing college ball and in the NBA.

17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

18. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Nich Van Exel's son killed a dude, and River Oaks is inner city. Get over yourself.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

"Inner city" is a gentrified place now. A lot of places that were hood are not so much anymore.

20. onreego

onreego Member

People with millions can look like trolls and it won't matter. They will look good to someone.