1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Replacing Front/Storm Doors

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Jul 28, 2014.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'm going to be replacing my front/storm doors pretty soon and I'm looking for some input. Not sure if I should go with wood, fiber glass, or steel. I'd also like for the door to be red or a dark blue/gray color with oval or top panel glass. If wood then a dark chestnut style with glass as well would be ideal. As for the storm door, I'd like full view glass with a solid lock. Anyone have any advice, suggestions, or horror stories? Should I just go to Home Depot/Lowes, or are there other cheaper/better options out there in Houston?

I'd like to watch someone else do it first, so I'm not looking to DIY this time around. And I'm hoping to spend no more than $800-$1,000 total. In fact, < $800 would be perfect.

2. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Storm Doors are fairly easy to install. However, If you are replacing the front door, it might be better to have someone come and frame it/install it for you...

1 person likes this.
  3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lowes/home depot seemed to have the better prices when I got mine a couple of years ago. You should easily be able to spend less than $800.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

When I had a house, I bought the Larson Secure Elegance storm doors. I really liked them. They don't look ugly like security doors, but have laminated full view glass and a 3-point locking system. It was like $750 total (4 years ago) including installation for my front and back door. The storm doors also cut down on road noise more than I expected.

1 person likes this.
  5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

$279 plus 99 installation. This is the sliding glass and the screen comes down with it, you cant tell the screen is there which is a neat design. I don't like the all glass, I need some fresh air come in.

1 person likes this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Lowes/Home depot seem to have a couple of decent sales on storm doors per year. Usually around spring and winter, I think. It may apply to regular doors, too.

Wood doors look great, but may require regular maintenance - especially if you face the sun. Some storm/security doors will make wood warp because they trap heat between themselves and the door. As for which is the best, I'll leave that to others to answer because I've seen Pella, Larson, Andersen all have good and bad reviews. After researching, I just went with a Pella fiberglass front door and the storm door was a Larson.

Steel doors can dent if you get a hail storm or debris bang into them. The paint on fiberglass doors can chip if they get hit repeatedly by debris (they usually give you touch-up paint because of this). This may not be an issue if you have a storm door covering it.

If you hire Lowe's to do the door, they'll be replacing the door and frame more than likely. After watching those guys do it, no way in hell I'd waste my time attempting it. The storm door is more do-able.

I had a couple of mahogany front doors replaced before I gave up with the maintenance and splitting and went with a fiberglass door.

I also had Lowes put in the security door on my back door while they put in the front door as well.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

As a contractor, You'll be paying more than $800 for the Door and an additional Storm Door combo. A single quality door is going to be close to $500. As far as labor costs goes, it depends on the company/handyman. Some charge by the hour, others the job. IF the door is quality enough, It should already be attached to the frame. It's only about 2-3 hours worth of work in total. I won't say what I would charge, but don't pay more than $400 for installation.

Stay away from wood as well. They will swell and shrink due to weather causing energy inefficiencies, as well as future fitment issues. Fiberglass works well for insulating, and Metal skinned doors are great for security. Usually the foam in metal skinned doors is pretty light duty though, always check their energy ratings or that metal skin will heat and cool a lot better/worse with the temp. changes.

1 person likes this.
  8. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

And as far as going with a Lowe's/Home Depot contractor, DON'T DO IT!

They are always contractors hired from the outside. Lowe's has the set minimum fees that they will not budge on, and the contractors have an already agreed on price system with Lowe's. They are not allowed to negotiate prices and are always 3-4 times as much as you should spend.

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I don't know... Home Depot is charging $77 right now for storm door installation, which is a $20 savings. I can't see a contractor coming out and doing that for less than $100. No?

I have a neighbor that does some carpentry work, I'll run it by him and see what he thinks.

10. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

Just curious what type of work do you typically do?