1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Things to do in Houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by madsaaa93, Jul 26, 2014.

1. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

The hill country is much more enjoyable in the warmer months... I think the biggest draw is the proximity to all the fresh water of the surrounding lakes/rivers/springs that you won't be able to enjoy in November. I'd stay in houston for a couple days then austin for a couple. Do yourself a favor and try to head down to gruene, tx about an hr south of austin and catch a show in the most iconic dancehall around.

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Houston is not much of a city to see, unless you grew up here or work here I don't see why you would want to visit. For one you have to have a car to get around. There aren't really any "attractions." Houstonians don't mind tearing anything town for a strip mall or parking lot. I guess NASA might be something unique, but NASA is shell of itself. I think houston is trying to do better with bayou park renovation and things like discovery green, but houston doesn't really try to preserve things.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

There's plenty to see, imo. But you have to like things like museums, symphonies, musicals, etc. The night life is improving with midtown getting crowded and the restaurants are great esp if you're willing to spend.

4. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Food, food and more food.

Lots of different types of restaurants. Great Indian/Pakistani restaurants, great Mexican restaurants, great BBQ, great steakhouses, great burgers, great Vietnamese food, lots of sushi places, lots of great coffee places, lots of great food trucks and great chains only local to Houston/Texas such as Whataburger, Beck's Prime, Papas.

5. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Its basically a combination of a bar/grill and a strip club. A Houston classic. Its nice.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

This could get interesting...

[​IMG]

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

San Antonio is a dump, I would never recommend anyone going there unless they want to see the alamo

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

No it isn't Downtown is pretty nice. They extended the riverwalk so you can bike along it. Its like 7 or 8 miles. There are also markets and stuff and pretty good tres leches.

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I wouldn't call it a dump if it's in comparison to Texas attractions. It's geared more toward tourists than Dallas and Houston are.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yeah, San Antonio sucks.

11. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Don't hate cause they're champions.

San Antonio is more tourist friendly than Houston and Dallas.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'm not hating their basketball team, just don't like the city. It's a fugly city. And Barkley is right, that's no river it's a dirty creek.

13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I'm having a cocaine party soon. You can come.

14. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Galveston is just a 30 minute drive from Houston. If you want to relax on the beach or ride in the ferry, you can go to Galveston. There are a lot of things to do in Houston depending on your personality. Really a lot of restaurants here.

15. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

I mean 1 hour drive from Houston to Galveston, though.

16. cebu

cebu Member

17. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I would never recommend Galveston to someone coming to visit the US. Especially someone coming from Australia, where they have nice beaches and easy access to get to Bali or even Thailand.

Galveston is a factory of sadness in comparison

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Do you need me to keep the wife occupied while you're out?

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Austin if you want to party with hipsters and college kids. Eat good food. Catch some random live music. Want to hike or do something outdoors.

Houston if you want to checkout museums, buy ****, eat the best food in Texas and have the means to travel around.

San Antonio if you want to to be around families, relax, have some margaritas and sloth around. Seaworld + 6 Flags - again, families.

20. bmd

bmd Member

I mean, Houston is a nice city with fun stuff to do... but there is nothing particularly unique about Houston in terms of things tourists can't find elsewhere.

But you can still have a fun couple days. Go to the Rockets game, go to the Galleria Mall, eat at some good restaurants, explore the city a bit, etc.