1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

2010 Houston Dynamo offseason thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by desi tmac91, Oct 21, 2010.

1. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

The past two threads didn't get many replies so I thought I'd just stuff all Dynamo news/rumors for the offseason in one thread. It is a bit premature considering we have one game left but we are about to finish at the bottom of our conference, so no harm in starting the thread I guess.

Dynamo workout Cuban youth

Alvarez was popular with the farm team (Austin) and he seems like a decent prospect. Dynamo do have plenty of mid-fielders but if the coaching staff finds him to be worthy of a roster spot and worth developing then I don't see why we shouldn't do it.

2. rockets247

rockets247 Rookie

*Crickets churping* NOBODY CARES about soccer.

1 person likes this.
  3. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Not true. There World Cup threads were great and there are some English Premiere League fans around too. Soccer is the single most popular sport in the world so to say "nobody cares about soccer' is nothing short of ignorant. You can make the case for the MLS though but if this thread bothers you so much then you can simply ignore it.

Columnist Davis lists potential Dynamo targets for DP

http://www.glenndavissoccer.com/soc...-the-future-what-star-should-land-in-houston/

Interesting read but there is absolutely no chance on getting Forlan, many Dynamo fans have this extremely longshot belief that we could be in the running for him like us Rockets fans did with Bosh/Melo except getting Forlan is far less likely. If the Dynamo were to get a Diego Forlan I would buy season tickets on the spot.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I watched more Dynamo games than Astros games this year

5. rockets247

rockets247 Rookie

don't you get the hint that when nobody posts about the Dynamo for a long while translates to meaning NOBODY CARES? Sorry, the Dynamo don't classify as world cup athletes, they classify as a team just like the Aeros, A TEAM THAT NOBODY GIVES A CRAP ABOUT.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Move along then, look at the name of the forum you are in.

Texans, Astros, Dynamo

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Yep, no world cup players, definitely not that guy that started at central midfield for team USA or the first guy off the bench in the World Cup.....those guys were definitely never on the Dynamo :rolleyes:

Aeros are minor league hockey team, the Dynamo have won the last 2 championships this city has gotten

8. rockets247

rockets247 Rookie

How many people acknowledge the Dynamo winning two championships in this city? It is MINOR LEAGUE. Many in Houston don't acknowledge the Dynamo championships.

GUESS WHAT THE DYNAMO WON THIS YEAR??? A date with their couches. LOSERS.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Getting Forlan would be ridiculous. But he can still play at a high level. Someone like Henry was down to a #4 option at striker. Forlan was fantastic at the World Cup, I bet it is a few more years before he comes over here.

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

The last couple of years, the Dynamo had players that was on the World Cup Roster.

Brian Ching was on the World Cup roster in 2006, and probably would have made in on the 2010 injury if he wasn't injured earlier in the spring time.

Stuart Holden, who currently plays in England, was on the roster. He will definitely be on the 2014 roster.

Ricardo Clark, who currently plays in Germany, was on the roster.

Geoff Cameron who is currently on the roster has a pretty good shot at being on the 2014 roster.

This is the first year the Dynamo missed the playoffs.

In five years here, they've been in the playoffs four teams. They won it in 2006 and 2007 and was in the conference finals in 2009.

That World Cup thread was one of the bigger threads this year.

Every year, there is a running EPL thread. Also, there is a Champions League thread that gets bumped up.

You posted a lot in this thread, so keep bumping it. Don't like it, don't come here reading it.

11. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Onstad and DeRo play for team Canada.

But yea, most of the good players from the championship years are gone. Oliver Luck is gone too which is arguably the biggest loss.

12. luisantonio1014

Carlos Salcido would've been a good pickup. He can play any midfield position, maybe even striker. He's got a strong leg.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

that's why Soccer teams are the richest, most popular, followed teams in the World. :rolleyes:

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Like I said, no more washed up players as the "designated player." Get a good South American or a good European Striker to compliment our already speedy African forwards Orduro and Ngwenya. :( Let's use the 4-3-3. Get a new goalie, too.
    Dude, it's the first year the Dynamo don't go to the playoffs. They've been consistently good since being here starting 2006. The fact that we're so good makes English and overall European teams take our players. We're cream of the crop in the MLS (whether a minor league as you point out or not) year in and year out, except for this year.

:eek: You have so much hate for something you're arguing with people who obviously have a different opinion, but it's your opinion. Get rid of the hate, man.

#14 SwoLy-D, Oct 22, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  15. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

I don't know why people feel the need to insult soccer.

I tried to get into it August and September, but it's just not my cup of tea. Still, it's a hugely popular sport with a lot of history and there is no need to disparage it here. If you are not interested in it, just ignore the thread.

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bobby, I didn't think I'd ever need to tell you this, but I would be a bad parent if I didn't. Soccer was invented by European ladies to keep them busy while their husbands did the cooking.

[​IMG]

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Just ignore the idiot. Responding to morons like that only makes their resolve stronger and guarantees that their next post will be even more moronic than the last one. Lump him in with the brian_chapass of the world and move on.

On to the matters at hand...

Priorities for 2011..

1) Central Midfield - DP or not, this position needs a serious upgrade after the losses of DeRo, Holden, and, to a lesser extent, Rico Clark. This season proved why Kinnear's system requires a central mid with goal scoring abilities. It opens up more space for Ching and the other forward.

2) Keeper - Pat Onstead is freaking old. It's time to move on. His age and injuries this year killed this team.

3) Forward - Brian Ching is not a creator. He's a very good finisher when set up. With the weak sauce that's been constantly paired with him over the last 2 seasons, opposing backs have an easy time keeping him in check and out wide where he cannot do damage. The Dynamo need a dynamic scorer who can run at defenses. Plus, with Ching's injury history, there has to be someone else on the field that can finish besides him.

If these 3 things can be fixed this offseason, the Dynamo will be back in the playoffs and a contender next season.

18. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

Last game of the season on Saturday afternoon, Houston Dynamo vs. Seattle Sounders, 3pm @ UH Robertson Stadium. There's also an article about MLS improving attendance. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304741404575564463288685240.html

19. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Tally Hall and Tyler Deric have both looked good when they played this year, and as much as I love Onstad it's obvious that his time has come and gone.

And I think the defense is also a huge concern, we've given up an absurd number of goals this year, which is the biggest difference between the current team and past versions. If we can bring in a good central midfielder then we can move Cameron back into defense which would help out two of our problem areas.

20. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Great...with our win against Seattle our pick just dropped to from #4 to #7.

Mock from draftsite.com had us taking Diego Restrepo, a keeper. He would replace Onstead but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a trade up that would snag us Omar Salgado.