1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is JJ WATT more popular now than Akeem (and others)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by what, Oct 18, 2014.

1. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Bruh, just because you have a crush on the Titan's QB doesn't mean you have the right to dog JJ.

2. Remii

Remii Member

Plenty of people tune in to watch football games because of a specific player... And I asked do you think a lot of people (outside of Houston) are tuning in to watch the Texans because of J.J...?

I'm not going through this subject again with you because you've already made it perfectly clear that you had a problem with Dream being African so you're opinion is tainted. And apparently you've never been outside of Houston. Sorry to disappoint you but UH and the Rockets were no secret.

1 person likes this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's funny you mention Watt as "All-World" since no one outside of the U.S. Knows who Watt is. Dream is an international icon. Hakeem put Houston on the map.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

And you see why we argue! LOL.

That is because it was our little secret. Hakeem didn't have a very infectious personality.

Heck neither did Andre Johnson who got almost no publicity when he was the top WR in the league.

Hakeem was tarnished because his championships were overshadowed by Jordan not being in the league, or on the comeback(totally unfair but true).

Hakeem is a Houstonian legend, unlike Watt who will represent the NFL much like LT, Ray Lewis, etc.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

Wow. You are delusional. LT? Ray Lewis? You know Watt hasn't even played in an AFC championship game right? Seems like hopeful thinking. You better hope he Texans make a few real playoff runs before Watt runs out of gas or gets hurt because the odds are against him. The NFL grinds players into dust.

6. Remii

Remii Member

J.J. didn't just become a great player this year... He's always been a great player... That's why I said he's popular because of marketing and not necessarily his play on the field. But yea, I see exactly why we argue ;)

And as I told the other guy _ I'm a transplant here. Grew up on the east coast and if y'all don't think people appreciated the Rockets outside of Houston ---> you're trippin.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Never disputed that. I'm said it doesn't usuallyhappen for a non-QB, much less a defensive player. You already knew that, yet you still argue.

Do you really believe they don't? I know a youngster in Washington State who's a Texan fan because of Watt.

Get this straight... I don't have a problem with Hakeem's heritage. I said America might have a problem fully embracing his heritage.

Who said they were a secret? I said somewhat a secret. The context was his being underrated. I've never met a Rocket who didn't think Hakeem was underrated.

btw- Phi Slama Jama wasn't just Hakeem

8. Houstunna

Supporting Member

I've never met a Rocket fan who didn't think Hakeem was underrated.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/n_-9Z2LF4fI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Perhaps you should tell Horry about your East Coast experiences.

Thank God these today's players are going to Hakeem for post moves. It helps keep Dream relevant.

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Watt is different. You know this!

10. Houstunna

Supporting Member

You believe in Santa and the Tooth Fairy too.

11. Remii

Remii Member

If they're not tuning into Texans games to watch J.J. than he's popular because of his marketing and not necessarily his play on the field. He's a commercial star.

You're probably the only person in this thread to bring up Olajuwon's heritage. You also stated twice about how you had a problem with his speaking... You don't speak for America _ you speak for yourself and some of the people you may know.

12. Buck Turgidson

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hey <a href="https://twitter.com/JJWatt">@JJWatt</a>, I think my friend Natalie nailed her Halloween costume. Your thoughts? <a href="http://t.co/sruvt8f5sV">pic.twitter.com/sruvt8f5sV</a></p>&mdash; Ryan Phillips (@RumorsandRants) <a href="https://twitter.com/RumorsandRants/status/527998364957163520">October 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Well, you finally shut up about Hakeem's not being underrated.

#progress

1) He's marketed because of his play. Advertisers aren't using a player like Brooks Reed and creating a myth that he's talented.

2) You're being naïve thinking no one outside of Houston watches the Texans because of him. You should be ashamed of yourself for comparing a defensive lineman to a quarterback on the level you're doing, anyways.

Again I ask, did you hear his HOF speech? The looks on the crowd's face was uncomfortable. I felt bad for him. Hakeem doesn't speak clearly, never has. That's a fact, not an opinion.

He's still my favorite athlete though.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

You must be diluted or haven't traveled farther than Mexcio if you think People outside of the U.S. Watch or even care about the NFL. The amount of people that follow American football probably compares to the amount of people in the U.S. That follow Cricket.

15. Houstunna

Supporting Member

All it takes to refute your statement IS people in Mexico and/or Canada watching football. Mexico is Cowboy country, Rochester is trying to get half the Bills games, part of metro Detroit is in Canada. So fact is, there are people outside of the US watching football.. and they know about Watt. When you're hyperbolic, your argument is easily refuted. Do better

16. Buck Turgidson

Per the NFL last year, the UK fanbase is 12 million, with 2.5 self-identifying as "avid fans". Sunday viewership of games has doubled since 2006.

17. Remii

Remii Member

My silence on that matter is not because you (think) you're right. It's because I'm not going to continue that debate with someone who never spent 5 minutes outside of Harris County especially during the 80's and has a problem with Olajuwon being African.

That's all well and good but he didn't become popular like he is now until he started being marketed because he was always a great player.... That is why he is popular because of his commercials and not necessarily his play on the field...

I never compared him to a quarterback... So you weren't paying attention to what you were reading. But by your on statement _ if people aren't tuning into games to watch J.J. because he's a defensive lineman... Like I said _ he's popular because of his marketing and not necessarily his play on the field... And people do tune in to watch teams because of specific players besides the quarterback position by the way.

Yea, but who cares. That had nothing to do with people not wanting to see him play. And you tried to parlay that into the reason why he didn't get endorsement deals with companies like Nike when in actuality Nike wanted him but he didn't want to sale his soul so they could sale his name to kids who couldn't afford the shoes. For Olajuwon to be your favorite _ you should be ashamed of yourself for not knowing that and using the reason of him being African. The shame sir, the shame....

Also, James Harden and Howard are more recognizable outside of Houston and worldwide than J.J. So those two are the most popular Houston athletes.

18. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Thanks.. nice stats. Some will probably still refute facts.

Go tell that to Horry.. he actually played with Hakeem and knows him. You've been in the GARM long enough... you've read several posters claim Dream was underrated and they aren't just from Houston. You're just being stubborn and playing dumb... well, hopefully you're just playing.

Also, go ahead and hold on to whatever you think I think about Africans. Another example of being stubborn.

He's only been in the league 3 years.. did you expect a DL to be a star as a rookie.. lmao :confused: He became popular after winning DPOY and doing the Fantasy Football commercial before last season.

Why does it have to be one or the other? He's popular because of both. Believe what you want though.

Duh.. nobody said they didn't. I said QB is by far the main position people watch.

Who said people didn't want to see Hakeem play?

Hakeem not taking endorsements is a major reason he's not more popular and is underrated.

I already stated Harden and Howard might be more popular worldwide.

19. Remii

Remii Member

So do you think there are a lot of none Texans fans running to the TV to watch J.J. play....???

Basketball is a global sport and the NBA is global. It's kids around the world dreaming of growing up and coming to America to play ball. Harden and Howard have both been in championships, the Olympics, and have global endorsements... There's no might about it.

20. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Do you think no one is?

They're definitely running to his Youtube highlights.

Harden and Howard are globally more popular than Hakeem.