1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans place Nix on IR, sign Ryan Pickett

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Sep 24, 2014.

1. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

1) Guard and MLB are the two positions rookies seamlessly transition to. Guards selected in the top 2 rounds are generally expected to start from day 1. This is the narrative I am trying to push.

2) So you're denying you said: "Bridgewater, Bortles, etc... all are horrible, etc..."?

3) I am still waiting on that link. Funny how you say I make things up, and then claim people are writing about XSF's potential despite his bad start. Keep googling my friend.

2. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Well.... He did say Guard is more difficult than Tackle in the NFL.

Anywho... I thought nix's knee was healthy, but BOB deemed him "out of shape" and "learning to be a pro"?

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Ehh. Typical O'Brien misdirection as evidenced by Nix undergoing a third knee surgery in September.

It doesn't look good, but teams knew about it. It was a calculated risk by the Texans that may burn us, but it could pay off huge. It may be bad, though. Hopefully his knee recovers.

I wouldn't call him a wasted pick, though, in the least bit.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

1. Fine, it's still inaccurate. XSF would be starting if not for Ben Jones being good, otherwise he would be starting from day one. He's got talent than anyone who knows what to look for can see, but right now he needs to get coached up a bit on technique and scheme.

2. I did say those things....how is that relevant? Also, more to the point, it's accurate. Bridgewater and Bortles are 2 of the 3 worst QB's in the entire league....doesn't mean it's relevant to XSF.

3. I'm not going to look up a link just to show that you don't know what you're talking about, you'll figure it out eventually. By all means, continue to embarrass yourself if you like.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Wasn't that a surgery on his wrist?

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

He was having knee and wrist issues. I always understood it was a third knee surgery, but maybe I have that wrong in my head? I'm not totally sure I guess.

7. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

1) Ben Jones has been good? That's news to me. Looks like BOB tried his darnedest to replace Jones with XSF vs. Tennessee, but we know how that ended...

2) Do I really need to answer this? Bridgewater is 21 years old, and he plays the hardest position in all of sports. Yet, he's already a "Jake Locker"? Why does a XSF get development time, but Bridgewater is a bust? I do not understand your logic.

3) I want the link because I am genuinely interested. I would love some positive news on XSF because what I witnessed vs Tennessee was embarrassing.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

1. He's been pretty much the same as the rest of the line, terrible in pass protection, decent in run blocking. Saying he's been good is probably not the right way of saying it, but the point is that XSF is a rookie with a lot of technique to learn. That's where his problems have come rather than it being something like strength or size, things that take longer to fix if they are bad.

2. Simple. How many QB's go from god-awful, being one of the worst in the NFL, to being good? That's a pretty short list. How many O linemen go from looking lost to pro bowl status? That's a pretty long list.

3. Google is your friend.

9. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

1) Yea.. Let's be careful with our words.

2) Bridgewater has 5 starts. 3 good. 2 bad. Also, he has a terrible oline. i guess the online excuse is only in play for Fitzpatrick, huh?

3) are you talking about this article? BOB on XSF
    I thought you had a 3rd party critiquing XSF's play, not the man who drafted him.

1 person likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Using your definitions of "good" and "bad" that means Fitz has 5 "good" games, and since he's never had a game this season as bad as the best "bad" Teddy game, I guess that makes the final 3 games somewhere in between. If that's the case, you should REALLY like our QB.

11. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I have no dog in the fight, and I've noticed that certain names have just started dominating this forum, but I love the NFL draft and random trivia so here is a list of guards drafted (only ones drafted as guards and not tackles who have slid inside) since 2008 and games started in their rookie season:
    #7 Jonathan Cooper - 0 GS rookie (injury)
    #10 Chance Warmack - 16 GS rookie
    #20 Kyle Long - 16 GS rookie

#20 David DeCastro - 3 GS (knee injury majority of season)
    #27 Kevin Zeitler - 16 GS
    #40 Amini Silatolu - 15 GS
    #55 Peter Konz - 10 GS

#23 Danny Watkins - 12 GS

#17 Mike Iupati - 16 GS
    #45 Zane Beadles - 14 GS

#51 Andy Levitre - 16 GS

#39 Chilo Rachal - 6 GS
    #59 Mike Pollak - 13 GS

Trivia aside, and hopefully back on topic, he's really done a great job of shoring up the interior. Has a lot more left in the tank than I thought he would. Hopefully we can find someone to groom and be mentored by him.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well the hope is that Nix would be that guy, but he's gotta get healthy first. Just having a big guy in the middle has been a breath of fresh air after all of the Shaun Cody's and Earl Mitchell's we've had to suffer through.

13. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I agree, it's nice to have a big boy in there. I'll admit I wasn't thrilled about the Nix pick, but you're right, the hope is that he is that guy. Pickett has pretty much exceeded any expectations I had of what he brought to the table, so let's hope Nix can do the same whenever he heals up.

Cheers to a cordial discourse.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I had mixed feelings about the pick, his knees were reportedly REALLY bad which is why he dropped in the draft, but he has first round talent if by some miracle he can stay healthy.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Rehashing the pick again, huh? I looked at past drafts recently. Nobody picked in the 3rd round works out. Y'all will scream and cry about the Seahawks and find a few guys here and there that panned out. I'm telling you, the number of guys that wind up starting much less stay in the league is miniscule.

We took a bonafide top 30 talent in round 3. Cant fault that. But maybe I'm insane because I also felt that with 3 first round picks, none of which were high, that Darly Morey made a smart, calculated risk by taking Royce White. It didn't work out. Maybe this wont either.

Either way - I like when teams have the balls to gamble.

16. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Run defense pre Picket was giving up over 5 yards a carry, I think I read that post-Pickett they are giving up only 3.7 or so

17. Nook

Nook Member

So far the 2014 Texans draft has been nothing short of amazing.

We have gotten unbelievable contributions from Clowney all the way down.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I know that was intended as sarcasm, but the 2014 draft is looking like it'll be pretty solid.

19. Nook

Nook Member

I knew you would say that.

What I find to be the most solid has been the contributions of our top 5 picks.

1. Clowney: more games missed than tackles (6 to 2)
    2. Xavier Su'a-Filo: barely can find the field, and when he does, it isnt for long.
    3. C.J. Fiedorowicz: more penalties than receptions.
    3. Louis Nix: well he has contributed as much as those picked above him at least.
    4. Tom Savage: See Louis Nix.
    5. Jeoffrey Pagan: 0 tackles.
    6. Alfred Blue: What does it tell you when your most productive rookie is a 6th
    round back averaging 3.5 yards a carry?

20. Summer Song Giver

It tells you, three things. Rick Smith is your GM, the Mcnair family is ever content owning a middling at absolute best, NFL Franchise and last; you are a Texans Fan.