1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luol Deng is probably out for remainder of the series

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by outlaw96, May 10, 2013.

1. outlaw96

outlaw96 Member

Luckily for miami, deng will probably miss the remainder of the series.

Full article here:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/chi-chicago-bulls-luol-deng-20130509,0,2397214.story

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

The Heat's championship this year, assuming they win it all, will forever have an asterisk.

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

4. Saado

Saado Member

Please. The Heat were heavy favorites as it is. Just because everyone else dropped like flies doesn't invalidate their wins.

5. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I think someone's sarcasm detecter is broken.;)

6. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

I think someone's spelling mistake detector is broken :p

7. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

8. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Had a dream arose suited up for game 3. Talk about freaking random dream, that's how much his coverage is on ESPN.

9. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Fixed

10. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Damn. I've heard about this, but what sort of illness is he dealing with? Sounds really serious.. The guy's been an ironman during his career, so this is strange to see.

11. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

12. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Is there any Aspirin, Tylenol, Advil or doctor medicine he can take? Or did Miami paid him money so he can miss the series?

13. WAYFARER713

WAYFARER713 Member

Deng just lost 15lbs...The rapid weight loss in trippin' him out..This dudes in panic mode..

God Bless Deng..

14. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

this is hard to hear. deng is one of my favorite players, i hope he gets better soon

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

I'm surprised that an illness got him first. One would think, given that he plays 40 minutes a game and is the main defender (and 2nd option) that he'd strain his body out with more injuries.

16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

If they truly believe that this is viral meningitis, there really is no treatment. Just time and patience. The complication from the spinal tap has likely extending his recovery time.

Think about having baseline symptoms along the lines of a mono (weakness, vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, fever), but you can also have muscle spasms, loss of control of your body, and headaches which feel like lightning shocks or someone drilling into your head.

Given that he is already extremely stressed and pushing his body to its limits from the grueling NBA season/playoffs, this probably the worst time for him to get this type of illness, because his body was already using any reserve strength, immune systems, etc to just deal with his day-to-day regiment.

17. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

No. All of his symptoms are major side effects of having a spinal tap done. 95% of people who do a spinal tap experience headaches that increase when they move and the rest of the symptoms he described.

I still can't believe they stuck a needle in his spine and pulled out spinal fluids over meningitis. If I were him I would have said you know what? I'll miss the rest of the playoffs. Just don't do that. The doctors knew the side effects. I'm sure Deng didn't. Otherwise, I doubt he would swing for it knowing it would cause him to miss the playoffs.

That spinal fluid stuff sounds like it's worth money too.

18. summitts20

summitts20 Member

Via MayClinic:

Spinal tap (lumbar puncture). The definitive diagnosis of meningitis requires an analysis of your cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), which is collected during a procedure known as a spinal tap. In people with meningitis, the CSF fluid often shows a low sugar (glucose) level along with an increased white blood cell count and increased protein.

CSF analysis may also help your doctor identify the exact bacterium that's causing the illness. If your doctor suspects viral meningitis, he or she may order a DNA-based test known as a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) amplification or a test to check for antibodies against certain viruses to check for the specific causes of meningitis. This helps to determine proper treatment and prognosis.

I'm pretty sure he'd rather have the spinal tap done to make sure he doesn't have meningitis; which could kill him if detected too late.

19. summitts20

summitts20 Member

MayoClinic*

20. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Depends on the type of meningitis. Viral type is rarely lethal unless you are a child, the elderly, or have some other pre-existing condition. Also, it is the type in which a spinal type can not conclusively rule out all the time.