1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moving to Fort Worth Area

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The_Yoyo, Jul 24, 2015.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No crips and bloods

2. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I'd rather be in Cali any day than Southern Oklahoma. My condolences

But hey at least you're closer to Toyota Center

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Fixed that part for ya. Now both statements are definitely true. Hit up some TCU games this season if you like football.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

the area is perfectly fine - I am actually pretty happy with my location in terms of where I am in relation to shops, restaurants, movie theater and work. The "bad" is just more myself adjusting to the differences of So Cal vs Texas. I mean I moved from one of the biggest metropolitan areas in the world to a large city in Texas. The heat is bad for sure but I expected to give up the weather as a perk for moving here. Keller was definitely better than some of the other areas I Saw.

Lol - traffic here doesnt phase me one bit but one thing I made sure is that I was able to get to work within 15 minutes without having to take any freeways. Thanks for the welcome - I'll definitely hit you up to watch a few games and all. I have no idea what Stop 6 is so I'll make sure to stay away.

I would rather be in Cali of course too - but living there is a different story. The cost of living and how much you get taxed is no joke. I made a really good salary out there and it was near impossible to even think to be able to buy a decent sized place (3bd) in a good area on a single income. On top of that you'll have to probably live somewhere rent free (ie: parents) to be able to realistically save up the $ needed for a down payment. I was looking to settle down in that sense. For example my parents bought the house I grew up in for 190k back in 1989 in a nice suburb about 35 miles east of downtown LA. 4bed/2ba and now that same house goes for just over 700k because my hometown is even more known for its good school district and low crime rates etc. Trying to save like 15% (instead of the normal 20%) of the down payment for that house (100k) is nearly impossible in LA if you are renting unless you are paid a high 6 figure income or are married and have good dual incomes.

I lived there for 30 years - it will always be home no matter where I go but I was ready to get out there and needed a change. The company I work for actually has its corp HQ in orange county so hopefully after a few years I'll head back to SoCal but right now God only knows

I would like to but I heard getting TCU tickets is really difficult.

Looking forward to living in TX and be exposed to a different culture - hopefull my stuff gets here soon in one piece so I feel fully settled in

5. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

One of the things you will like about TX is cheaper cost of living obviously. You will get used to that soon.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

You can watch the NWA movie if you feel homesick.

1 person likes this.
  7. The_Yoyo

already seen it twice

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You're going to love the scale difference vs LA. FT Worth is tiny.

9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I am in the area until February -- plan on going to the Mavs/Rockets game (Dec, I think) -- if anyone in the area wants to get a group together!

10. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

11. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

You're lucky I didn't alert the authorities.

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

My daughter is attending UNT's Health Sciences school in the Arts District. A good place to look for apartments is that area although the rents are a bit on the high side (for us) - $1200 to $1800. There are plenty of nice apts just to the west of downtown especially near the Arts District. You should also look along the White Settlement Rd. area westward. From what I remember, the southwest near TCU gets very pricey.

13. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Sweet, didn't know about that, I'll haev to join up when I get home and have access to FB.

14. Cranberry_Juice

Is Ft. Worth minority friendly?

15. The_Yoyo

well most places compared to LA are tiny - but honestly I was ready to get somewhere far more quiet and far less congested. The grind of that sort of city life just wears on you.

i'll join up as soon as I get home and have proper FB access as well thanks for the heads up

16. tinman

Supporting Member

I heard pecan lodge is a good place for bbq

17. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Where you been GRENDEL? I promoted this all through the playoffs last year brother! We missed you at our watch parties in Addison. Had 35 people at one of the viewings.

18. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Much more so than Dallas. About as much as Houston honestly.