1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should be the 8th man in the playing rotation?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Nov 12, 2015.

Tags:
?

Who should be the 8th man in the playing rotation?

Poll closed Dec 12, 2015.
  1. Brewer

17.6%
  2. Terrence

25.5%
  3. Harrell

45.1%
  4. Terry

2.0%
  5. McDaniels/Dekker

9.8%
  1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Jones took the league by storm two years ago, put together a month or a month and half of great games. The NBA adapted. His three point shot looked to be getting better last season to adjust to how he was being played (though still probably not good enough), but it seems teams are learning to pick on his lack of defensive awareness. His defense still worries me, but he may be useful if he can start hitting open threes consistently.

#21 Joe Joe, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  2. basketballholic

His 3-point stroke is not there. Teams simply don't react to it and they are giving him more and more space to stand out there and pump fake. What has happened now is opponents are using that dead-ball time to reset their whole defense against us while Terrence stands out there pump-faking, hoping to drag some defender out of the paint to cover him. He's become a ball-stopper in those situations.

And even when/if he decides to let it go out there, his release is still a convoluted, elongated, twisted, torqued mess that takes him about 2 seconds to start his windup and release the ball. And then it's off. If he were a QB, he'd set a new sack record.

He's in his 4th season. Yeah, he may become useful if he can hit his 3's consistently. He's 3 years at the very least from that being a possibility though, because his shot needs to be totally rebuilt from the ground up and his muscles have to be totally retrained. That's a 3-year project for him IF he starts today...which he won't.

3. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

6th or 7th? I think that Smoove would be starting right now.

I worry that guarding PF's will take a toll on Ariza... even though it has shown to work at times, I'm not a fan of that experiment.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not a Jones fan, but it was close last season though I agree it wasn't quite there. He shot 38% on open threes. If he gets that to 40% consistently on open looks even if it doesn't get the aesthetic basketballholic seal of approval, his man has to stay within range to challenge the shot. That's all the room Harden needs from the PF.

Defensively, I don't see him taking a dramatic step forward.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Has to be Jones .... That smallball lineup is getting killed on the boards and defensively. They are in the bottom 5 in points allowed per possession.

Howard & Capela as well as they've played cant be your only productive big men. Ideally one of Howard & Capela could play both 4/5 .... so you could go with a 3 big rotation but neither have the range to do so meaning not only do you need Jones , but you need another productive 4 man.

6. Newlin

Newlin Member

It doesn't come down to which ONE player should be playing. We need to think about which combination of players should be playing. Last year we had a nice combination of players coming off the bench with Terry, Brewer and Smith. Now Smith is gone and we now have Harrell. But Smith and Hareell are very different players.

I think McHale would like to play Harrell, but putting Capela and Harrell on the floor at the same time may not be the best fit right now. Part of the problem is that both Capela and Harrell are both players that play in the paint. Another problem is that Capela and Harrell are just very young and inexperienced. McHale has been trying different combinations. I think we just need to be patient and allow the team time to gel.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Dwert , Capela & Harrell .... all limited to playing close to the basket offensively. You cant play any two at the same time without spacing becoming an issue ....

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The first good argument against small ball I've seen despite the downpour of small ball bashing posts. I agree that Ariza shouldn't be playing 40 min/g at 4 in an ideal world due to the pounding he's taking. That said, 12 min/g when DMo gets back against backup 4s should be fine. Jones and Harrell haven't played well enough to give McHale any other option right now.

9. basketballholic

Even if he gets to 40% on open looks it isn't going to work. What you aren't accounting for is the fact that he actually shoots about 10% of the open looks that he gets. The rest of the time he pump fakes repeatedly and finally reverses the ball or attempts to dribble it and winds up in traffic. Terrence flat-out does not want to shoot out there.....even open looks. Terrence has a single-minded focus offensively. He wants to dribble-drive......period. That's all he wants to do. He wants to get the defender to overplay, then pump-fake the defender up on his toes then dribble-drive past him to the hole. A very simplistic move you learn in grade school and junior varsity. That's what Terrence did throughout the entirety of his high school career and that's what he's continued to try to do through 2 years at Kentucky and his first 3 seasons in the NBA.

But.....he's never going to get to 40%. Oh, he may hit 2 out of 5 shots and then not shoot another one. And then some poster on here will say....Hey, Terrence is a 40% 3-point shooter. No, he's not. Terrence could take 8-10 wide open 3-point shots a game if he plays 25 minutes. The looks are there in this offense. And especially now that teams know he doesn't want to shoot and they fade off him when he's outside. But Terrence knows...as do some of us...that the more wide-open 3-point shots he takes, the lower his 3-point efficiency is going to be. And that's the tell-all signal here. No matter how much encouragement Terrence receives from Morey, McHale, Harden, Dwight, etc. to shoot the 3-ball....he shoots it just enough to keep them off his back. The tell-all signal is the fact that TERRENCE HIMSELF DOES NOT WANT TO TAKE THE WIDE OPEN 3-POINT SHOT.

10. basketballholic

A team's "combination" of players that play is the team's playing rotation, Newlin. You're just using another term for it.

Who should be the combination of 8 players that play the majority of the minutes?

11. beardsanity713

With all the depth that this roster has everyone should be utilized... I watch GSW, SAS, Bulls, Thunder etc the good teams go at least 10 deep and use interchangeable lineups in different situations and have no problems playing rookies if they can actually contribute...
    Against Nets we were getting killed on the boards yet Mchale stays with the bs small lineup instead of at least trying out Montrez... Mix the young guys with the starters sometimes so that their mistakes can be covered better. Sam or KJ or Montrez with at least Harden Howard or Ty on the floor will not kill us..
    Brewer has been beyond pathetic so playing these young guys will not make us play any worse...I honestly believe Mchale has lost this team... i see in no aspect of the game has this team gotten better.. we are the same team with the same issues you would think we'd be better equiped but no this team seems disinterested and are not playing for each other ..players have to be held accountable and thats not whats happening on the Rox

12. Newlin

Newlin Member

I really don't know. It seems that right now we don't have any combinations that really work well together. I think we are seeing how important it is to have an effective stretch PF. Last season we had DMo and Josh Smith. This year year, so far, we don't have anyone to fill that stretch power forward role.

I think Harrell has talent, but I'm wondering if maybe he is just the wrong type of player for Moreyball.

Last year it looked like TJones could be somewhat effective as a stretch forward. He shot 35% in three pointers. But he has yet to show up this year.

I guess, right now, it doesn't matter who the 8th man is. The pieces so far, just don't fit. I am hoping that McHale keeps trying different combinations until he finds something that works.