1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Golden State Warriors and Moving Screens

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dream2franchise, Nov 4, 2015.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Dwight Howard never gets away with those.

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yeah- if this was twenty years ago, you'd get a nice hard foul on a screen like that.

The problem is, the league is so concerned with maintaining a G-rated, white bread image that they will call every hard foul. Not so much moving screens that free up Steph Curry.

Just another reason why I've more or less stopped watching the NBA.

3. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

I'm glad someone put this thread with videos, because I twee about this every single time I see them play. It's crazy how often they do it with not calls. I can't remember the last time they actually got called for a moving screen. It should not be allowed, If the ref sets the tone at the beginning and lets them know with a couple of calls, then they will stop.
    There's a reason Curry, Klay, Barnes, Barbosa, Iggy all have such open 3's at times and drives to the basket, because of all these illegal screens.
    We are just a small voice, maybe Clutch can forward this. I see the Rockets players getting frustrated with their screens and complaining but nothing is done during the game, only if it's Dwight then it gets called. Really sucks from a fans standpoint.

4. dragician

dragician Member

5. dream2franchise

1 person likes this.
  6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

When the Rockets had Yao setting screens, our shooters were getting wide open shots. But Yao was burnt by officiating, and would always be a victim of a moving picks. But have yall seen what opponents do to get those calls? They flop, embellish the contact from the screen, and indirectly keep Yao off the floor by using bushleague tactics.

I have said this before, if Curry ever tries setting a screen...just run through his chest ONCE, hard. Thats all that it will take to ensure that their best player will never set a pick again.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

on the other end. . .. the Warriors flop on Defense

Rocket River

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I have said this before. 90% of NBA screens are moving. They just call it some of the times, a small fraction of the times, quite randomly.

If you are a conspiracy theorist, this is one of the easiest ways to fix games, because pretty much every moving screen call is a correct call. The refs just need to pick and choose when to call it and who they call it on.

Same can be said about traveling calls.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

Pretty much. Same can be said with PI penalties in the nfl.

10. MystikArkitect

We have to watch people run into Dwight and get an offensive foul called on him.

They run screens into folks and don't get offensive fouls called on them.

We had to watch Yao get officiated unfairly for years, and now we watch Dwight get the same treatment. Sour grapes? Maybe, but not without basis.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Its what makes me dislike the Warriors so much. They get away with this stuff ALL the time. So frustrating when the game is called two ways, and it almost always is for them.

12. rocketsmetalspd

To me a team with post up game and can play at their pace is team that has a good chance of beating the Warriors. They must stick to that type of game like Fratello and JVG used to do, slow down the game to a grind it out type of game. The league is a guard oriented league so I don't know if that type of game is what the league wants.

13. dream2franchise

Warriors double drag here, featuring moving screens and holds at:

0:00 - Draymond
    0:28 - Lee
    0:40 - Draymond
    1:30 - Bogut
    1:49 - Bogut

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SFTx1CLUnEA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Chicken wings, hip check, grabs, and the infamous fall on your opponent. The arts of legalizing moving screens.

Team should all copies these moves. Seem the key is, be stationary at the point of the initial contact and once the offensive player move past that point, slow down the defender. Your chance of getting caught is less and in some cases it's legal.

Official rules:
    Once screened, move along the same direction & path and you surely will slow down the defender, legally.

There is also the incidental contacts rules which you can take advantages of.

Come down to --- good coaching teaching the art of screening to the limits. Add that with a player like Curry and a system that involve multiple screens, constant movement and it's deadly. In a stationary system (hello Rockets), it's too predictable and also easier for ref to notice.

15. DFW_Rockets_Fan

DFW_Rockets_Fan Contributing Member

Agree with this. Notice many of these screens are off the ball. Rockets tend to screen for the ball handler. I am not saying one is better than the other, but refs notice an on the ball screen much more.

16. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

That rule there just made the Warriors screens look not so illegal. Sure they do it a lot but if you look closely and understand the rule, they're good at setting screens.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It seems to me that fans of losing teams invariably complain about winning teams setting moving screens.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Karl Malone never in his entire career set a non-moving screen. It is just how the NBA is called.

Now if the NBA refs did call it, I am sure that the players could adapt and set proper screens.

The only new angle I am seeing with Golden State is that they are grabbing with their hands.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Screen door broke

20. sew

sew Member

:confused::confused::confused:

<iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/r4yr" width="853" height="533" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen scrolling="no"></iframe>