1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Would Memphis Move Gay To Pay Gasol?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Brandyon, May 1, 2011.

1. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I have been extremely annoyed by all the Rudy Gay posts in the past. Whether it be people saying we shouldn't have traded him for Battier, or the random unrealistic trade scenarios to get him back. However, with this run that Memphis is putting together his value to their team has to be dropping.

There has been a lot of talk about Marc Gasol on these boards due to the fact that we need a center so badly, but so does Memphis. I'm begining to think that if this Memphis team makes it to the next round, especially in the fasion in which they have been winning these playoff games, keeping this squad intact would be a priority.

The further they go in the playoffs, the more expensive Marc Gasols deal is getting as well. Would Memphis move Gay to free up space to resign Gasol? We need a 5, but if Gasol is off the table, we can address our second largest need at the 3. I've never been one to spark up Rudy Gay trade scenarios, but it never seemed realistic until recently.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Gay is overpaid. I wouldn't want to take on his contract.

Besides, we really need a defensive 3.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

How does tradition free up cap space, unless they trade him to a team under the cap? Which could be the rockets, but enough under to take on his contract, I'm no sure. And nobody knows about the new cba. Withou even considering whether you'd want to do it, not sure the rockets could. From Memphis' perspective, I think they will explore trading Gay, less to save money than to get back better fitting player(s), even if not as talented.

4. thekad

thekad Member

Memphis' continued success in the playoffs makes the Thabeet/Battier trade look worse and worse.

Remember that we helped their salary situation by taking on Thabust's terrible contract, which will allow the Grizz to keep their core in tact this summer while keeping us stuck in mediocrity. Good job, Morey!

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Rudy Gay isn't a bad defender at all. Think Trevor Ariza without the idiocy.

6. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I have a feeling we will have to overpay any boarderline all star to sign with us. I don't know of another 3 out there who would be a better option. At least not one that will be on the FA market, or being moved by their team.

I think getting Gay without having to give up too much via trade (Since they need to move to to make spave) would be enough to lure a larger name free agent as well.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

since when is a rookie scale contract ever considered "terrible"?

8. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I've been thinking about this since the grizzlies beat the spurs in game 1.. PLEASE!!!

9. Mr. Clutch

I was thinking the same thing.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

getting to the next round isn't enough...they'd have to push the Lakers (?) to the limit or win. Otherwise, they need gay.

11. thekad

thekad Member

$5 million for a D-Leaguer is terrible.

1 person likes this.
  12. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Since Thabeet was taken with the 2nd pick and has had more meaningful time in the d league than in the actual league.

Typically you would be right, but Memphis paid Houston a future 1st round pick to take the 5 plus million dollars Thabeet is getting off their hands. It would have been even harder for them to find the money for Gasol next season if they were paying Thabeet that 5 million to sit on the bench like Houston now has to.

13. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

It isn't exactly a rookie scale contract is it? I think he's getting nearly 6 million dollars (5.8 sticks in my mind.) It seems like I remember reading a story last year about Memphis being too cheap to give big contracts to Thabeet and others before they had to, and Memphis almost immediately afterwards giving them big contracts. It's not like some of the 20 million dollar contracts or anything, but it's a fair chunk of change.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Your credibility has been shot.

Rudy Gay is one of the worst perimeter defenders in the entire league...

15. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Likewise. Your credibility has taken a hit for the overstatement on the other side of the spectrum. He was defend fairly well earlier this season. Far from Ariza, but still nowhere near one of the worst in the league like he was his first couple seasons.

16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

You know where I stand. Although it might not be a good idea. As he would probably be a very unpopular player with a short leash with Battier fans waiting to jump on him at the first sign of a bad play or two. Not a good idea anymore. Some people hold grudges. :grin:

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Forget Rudy Gay. Gasol is the guy on the Grizzlies I want and it won't happen.

18. Beavis

Beavis Member

trading for Gay is Rockets management way of conceding defeat in going after real allstars. For the 100 million you pay gay, id rather sit on that cap space until a cheaper better player comes along. Even if it takes a few years.

19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...not sure how Gay would make us a significantly better team. Maybe a little, but I don't think we are anything above a 6 seed with Gay. What's the point in being marginally better? An annual first round exit and low first round draft picks, less money to spend on FAs...and we still don't have a face for our franchise. Mind as well use the money to try and get a star to come via FA or get worse so we can maybe play in the lotto and get a legit star. The road to a title(eventually) does NOT go through Rudy Gay.

20. Mr. Clutch

Gay is barely better than Shane Battier.

Give me a freakin' break.