1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jean Pierre Tokoto

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Normalus, May 7, 2015.

1. Normalus

Normalus Member

[youtube]BHiBJBgJgCM[/youtube]

2. Normalus

Normalus Member

[youtube]uEO5GRlVA-0[/youtube]

3. alethios

alethios Member

I think he would make a good pick at #32. Draft Express has a feature I like where they do a head-to-head comparison and in this case, it was between Tokoto and Jerian Grant. Good perspective (I think) of where their individual skillsets are.

<script height="378px" width="672px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#pbid=23b69841d9454479a6f4fcf4a8514588&ec=QxYWNucjpPafeAiKlOufxHGyreOC_J_C"></script>

In case it doesn't embed properly - http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Jerian-Grant-vs-JP-Tokoto-Video-Analysis-4800

4. Normalus

Normalus Member

Only #58 smh, great place to develop and get some PT tho. Robert Covington & JP Tokoto, two of last three years IMO most underrated players of the draft now in Phila. Best of luck!

5. Normalus

Normalus Member

Smart kid!
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">76ers draft pick J.P. Tokoto taking the KJ McDaniels route - agrees to one-year tender - likely a restricted free agent next summer.</p>&mdash; Steve Kyler (@stevekylerNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/640990893621821440">September 7, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but trying to show my scouting ability. I'll go on record saying this was a mistake for this kid.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The way he looked in Summer league hell yes that could turn out to be a huge mistake. KJ was truly someone that should have gone in first round. Same with Carl Landry who went late because of his size. Tokoto is 2nd round talent for a reason.

8. don grahamleone

Late second round too. Even Parsons signed a longer deal to make sure his game developed before contract time came about.

9. Normalus

Normalus Member

First of all he was exceptionally good defensively, he has to improve his shooting, range & ball handling tho. But the point is - next year salaries would be crazy & if he shows any improvement offensively he would be paid. If not, he still would get offers to sign either in NBA or overseas, for better money than rookie deal. How this can be a "huge mistake", huh? Just couple of good games defending Harden may be enough to get a better contract, on a team that would care (76ers going nowhere)...

10. don grahamleone

That's the thing. He's not shown that. He gambles too much, sags off when defending a simple pick, he doesn't use angles, guesses most of the time, but he's a legit rebounder. Being a legit rebounder at the 2 or 3 doesn't get you a contract. The NBA is going to eat this guy's defense alive in my opinion. Defense is about consistency and this guy doesn't have that type of discipline.

I see one NBA skill in him and that's rebounding. A skill that is not sought after at the SG position. His huge mistake is taking a one year contract when he probably needs 2 or 3 years to learn the skills it takes to defend an NBA player that can beat you 30 different ways. But if he wants to play overseas, maybe it wasn't such a bad deal. I would just think that an American player wouldn't dream of playing overseas when they grew up watching the best league in the world.

11. jogo

jogo Member

I don't know much about this kid but I think taking a one year deal is a big gamble for most second rounders. I agree with the point that a 2 to 3 year deal would give him more time in the L to work on his game. A one year deal runs a big risk that he's an NBDL player or overseas casualty.

KJ took a big risk and it paid off. I don't think every player that thinks he is big time (and is a second round pick) should take that gamble. Look at Harrell. He's not even signed, but if we sign him to a one year deal how does he know he gets enough playing time to get another contract? It's a big risk.

12. don grahamleone

I agree. I would try to get at least a 3 year deal if I'm Harrell. I wouldn't settle for less than 2. As much as I like Harrell, he hasn't shown me an NBA mind yet. Like Tokoto, he also lacks defensive discipline, but he has two NBA skills so far. That turn-around/face-up jumper from the baseline and his dunking. Dunking is cool, but pretty much everyone can do it. That jumper is sweet though. That being said, if Harrell takes a 1 year deal, I think he's risking too much. Time is an under-developed player's best friend.

I think the strongest point that Normalus made was that JP Tokoto should have an opportunity to prove his worth on a team with little depth at his position. My argument is that this will backfire and he'll look terrible. I could be wrong and for the kid's sake, I hope I am.

I think this Tokoto kid's upside is PJ Tucker and he was out of the NBA after 1 season. It's something to really consider. A team that has a longer contract for you is going to put more effort into helping you grow. If PJ signed a longer term deal, he might not have ever played those 5 seasons overseas.

Take less for longer and work hard. That's what works way more often than 1 year deals.

13. dmoneybangbang

Summer League isn't a good barometer for much of how a player would fit on the main team. I think he made a smart move as he can carve a role as a role as a pesky defender/rebounder in his first season.

14. Normalus

Normalus Member

Cut by 76ers today, they would cry about it in 5 years. Smart team would pick him up, even if it's overseas.

15. Normalus

Normalus Member

Pick'ed up by Oklahoma City Thunder, would play for OKC Blue in DLeague, my guess.

16. Normalus

Normalus Member

[Youtube]SD2iHn5Swi8[/youtube]

17. Normalus

Normalus Member

his ankles looks weird when he shoots anyway :grin:
    [youtube]s3A3P32xUb8[/youtube]