1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Since the Nets and Nugs are good offensive rebounding teams, that means we should play Jones even LESS.

2. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Man we really need that stretch 4. I think Morey and McHale know this too

Wish we could land Ryan Anderson. Him and DMo would be a great 1-2 punch from the PF spot

3. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Analytics master can't count. Behold the god who bleeds!

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

How professionally traumatic for you today?

Tougher for Kevin McHale. I want to thank him for all the great things he's done. This is a tough day. We're about winning. We know this group can win and win at a high level. In the west, you have no time to turn things around. I made the tough call that I think this is the best way to turn things around. That's the bottom line. We're gonna win, we're about winning and keep at it until we're winning.

Train in the building Monday night?

In the NBA, head coaches get fired and it's never just about the head coach. Players are on the floor and have to play. They know they have to look in the mirror to see what they can do better. I need to look in the mirror to see what I can do better. They talked about how they can each do better. When you're playing as bad as we are and the way we're losing, you have high level conversations with the owner. It wasn't until late last night that I felt it was the right time to make a change. It's such a big decision. The owner thought we should sleep on it, we did, talked in the morning and made a change.

Did you solicit player input?

We stay above that. Getting through the day, I had people trying to blame this guy or that guy. That couldn't be more true and untrue. Untrue in that it's bad business to have your players involved in that decision. It doesn't work so they're not. It's true that if the players were playing great and responding like they did last year and years prior and we're winning, yeah, he'd still be here. In a way, they're involved. Without them playing poorly, this is not something we're looking at. The actual decision, that's on myself and the owner signs off on that.

What do you hope J.B. instills first?

He's a young forward thinking coach. Players respond to him. He has great relationships with them. He has a ton of experience. He understands both the modern NBA and realities of day to day how to manage players. It's a players league and it's a constant effort level and diligence to work with them to get the most out of them and I think he'll do that.

Any outside names contemplated?

We like to be careful with our decisions. Our head coaches, we've not made a change in season. I don't believe in in-season coaching changes. When we make a coaching commitment, we carefully do it and it's usually for 4 or more years. We do this carefully. People wonder why now and so quick. It's a combo of things: 1) We know this group can win. 2) We have big aspirations. We have Dwight for at least this year and hopefully longer but the reality is he's a FA at the end of the year. We have to show to him a commitment he deserves at this stage. Harden is also in his prime. We did not see any signs of how we'll pull out of this if we'd stayed the course. The hard choice was made. We believe this group can win and think this is the right thing.

Is the sense of urgency getting clearance for Dwight moving to the forefront?

We want that but we let the doctors take the lead. His body and career are too important for us to do that. His body has been responding well. When he first started the season, he had some just getting back to playing intense level show on his body but since that and since he hasn't played back to backs, no issues. We'll talk to doctors tomorrow. If they give clearance, it's something we'll look at. Right now, they have not.

James Harden, with super-duper stardom last year along with team success, further scrutiny and responsibility. Poor start. Is there concern that he did not have the best offseason of preparation? No USA basketball. Or just a lousy start, simple as that?

He's had a poor start. He knows it, he owns it. He's not the only player. Frankly, the only player playing at a high level is Dwight Howard. It shouldn't just all be on James. In general, our players, many players could have had a better offseason. Unfortunately, it's something that comes with maturity. We have a younger team that had success that even with success not being what we want but as we thought of relative success, was not handled as well as it could but I would not single out James Harden.

Golden State, when will they lose?

When we play them.

Does anyone stop them? Can they mount a challenge to 72?

I wish we were playing them. If I were them, I wouldn't want to challenge 72. The key in this league is playing great right when the playoffs start. When chasing a record like that, you do things like playing guys longer than you want. Bulls were an all-time great team and Warriors can be and were last year. It'll be tough.

Pre-Steph Curry, best all time shooter?

Nash.

Message to the fans?

We'll turn this around. We're not hoping. We know this group can win. We had least turnover in the league. We owed it to the city, the fans, our players, everyone to do whatever we can to get back on the winning track and thought this was the right change.

2:18 mark
    <iframe allowfullscreen width="670" height="377" scrolling="no" src="https://media.iheart.com/player/embed.html?autoStart=false&useFullScreen=true&mid=26522165&siteid=589&share=http://www.sports790.com/media/podcast-the-drive-home-with-charlie-pallilo/kevin-mchale-rockets-matt-bullard-daryl-26522165/&podcastFeed=pallilo.xml&podcastName=The Drive Home With Charlie Pallilo&programName=podcast" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" ></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

So ... they did it now in order to have a chance to keep Dwight?

6. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

wow... that sends the ABSOLUTE WRONG MESSAGE! :rolleyes: I want to be optimistic but its apparent Dwight isn't the player he once was

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Morey is full of BS. He's a salesman who's pride will never let him admit fault or that he's made mistakes.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This taunting ******* needs to be sitting on the bench right behing Bickerstaff. Make him eat all his vomit.

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

To Morey: Quit the BS speech and hire a real coach and let him do his stuff

Swallow your pride and admit you made a mistake hiring and renewing McFail and instituting Maury ball with a bunch of mediocre shooters and trying to play the game on an excel spreadsheet

Quit thinking you've solved basketball

10. VivaChelseaFC

VivaChelseaFC Member

DA Beard is back!!

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

"Many of our players could have had a better offseason"

That is really the problem I think. Guys just didn't work on their game.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

JVG interview, starts at 5:00

<iframe allowfullscreen width="600" height="150" scrolling="no" src="https://media.iheart.com/player/embed.html?autoStart=false&useFullScreen=true&mid=26523138&siteid=589&share=http://www.sports790.com/media/play/jeff-van-gundy-on-pgs-111915-26523138/" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" ></iframe>

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Doesn't get talked about enough....but USA Basketball last summer was SOOOOO huge for Harden. It kept his skills sharp and he was able to grow as a leader. Coach K noted this many times. The Basketball tournament and practices with the top NBA players allowed Harden to enter last season IN TOP FORM from the go.

This offseason, there wasn't any of that and thus Harden's sluggish start. Sluggish offensively which then leads to sluggish defense. And as a LEADER, playing bad defense does not set a good tone for the team. It is a domino effect.

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Attitude reflects leadership. That's proven everywhere you go.

Coach K has EVERYONE's attention because he consistently wins and when the best players in the world shuts up and listens to him, Harden better listen.

15. NOLArocket

NOLArocket Member

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Also, when you are TALKING up a players leadership, you are basically ASKING this to happen or trying to encourage him to respond.

This is what a good motivator/coach does.

DD

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

rite on cue, after a win

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

-(Last night's win) I'm doing better and the team is doing better.

-(Looked like team of yesteryear) Ty played better. A lot of players played the basketball we envisioned going into the year. We didn't play strong defense. We still have a lot of work to do, as anyone watches us knows. Yesterday was a great step.

-(Bench play) We sorta been below par up and down the roster. Bench hasn't given us a lift. We've been against teams with a bench where they have guys barely in the league or fringe NBA players and we couldn't build a lead or maintain a margin. That's been disappointing. D-Mo coming back, he's already been doing full contact. He'll be back to full everything in practice and hopefully not too long from there. Anytime you add a player of his caliber, it bolsters everything.

-(March 25th last game; long layoff; how much rust factor?) It'll be a factor and he'll try to do too much. He's motivated. The back doctor said he's the most diligent guy he'd ever seen on rehab. He's been making 80%+ from the NBA three on thousands of 3PT shots. He has to translate it to the game. We've been telling him come back, play your game and don't try to turn the team's subpar play around by yourself. He'll make a big difference. A big like him who can get the ball when James is doubled team in space, make a play, to the basket or a teammate, that's been big. Defensively, he's underrated in terms of being in the right spot, make the right rotations. High hopes for him but I agree, a lot to expect for a guy coming back.

-(Double big lineup to change?) Donatas will play and Dwight will play. Clint is really coming on. So far with his play, which would be hard to maintain, he'd be on the short list of top performers at any age under 22-23. High hopes for him. With Donatas coming back, that'll squeeze minutes across the bigs. Our bigs, once Donatas comes back, will be one of the strengths of the team.

-(McHale gone, Bickerstaff in. He made some rotation moves. Thoughts as a whole?) He's done a great job. He's trying different things. He's changed things up on offense & defense. He'll keep working at this until we get back to winning ways we expect. Expectations coming into the year were a good thing. We have the ability to play at a high level. We're positive with what J.B. has been able to do.

-(Philosophical standpoint, we know it, but don't have a team that shoots good FTs, don't have classic 3PT shooters - that has puzzled me. You have a set way of what will work from a numbers and basketball standpoint but don't have those guys who are deadeye gunners from the perimeter. Is that a matter of there's only a certain number of guys or...? Take us through that.) All else equal, those would be better guys to have. Yeah, there are very few in the league. Shooting is something we'd like to improve and it will improve as the season goes on. Shooting is extremely important. If we can get 'em, we'll get 'em. The issue is it's a short list. Often teams go buy shooting and end up shooting poorly. Detroit is a good example this year. Having better shooters is something we'd love to have but they don't make them easy to acquire.

LZ: I made 9 of 25.

DM: You might fit right in right now. ... If you make that percentage, you can fit right in with our roster at this moment.

19. ibm

ibm Member

do you have a voice recognition software or do you just type really fast? either way, kudos to you.

and why are you always "off" while clearly you're signed in? :cool:

1 person likes this.
  20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

:eek::eek::eek: