1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jared Goff

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ItsMyFault, Sep 21, 2015.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Sign me up for Cook too

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Upside as what? A TE? He's simply not a QB prospect for the NFL.

3. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Cook makes too much sense given his religious background which the Texans would love.

4. Buck Turgidson

Black Rex Grossman, all he has is a big arm an nowhere to throw to.

[​IMG]

5. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

dude you must not remmeber Cam Newton at Florida, the dude only came in the game on 3rd and short behind tim tebow

cardele has elite measureables, and elite arm strength, i'm not saying he is cam newton at all, im just saying he may need to sit for a year or 2 before he starts in the nfl, under tom herman he was decent to above above on ball placement and anticipatory throws.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's a lot closer to Tim Tebow than Cam Newton. Like a whole lot. Someone might take a chance on him, but Logan Thomas was a better QB prospect.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Cal junior QB Jared Goff's "rash of interceptions in recent Pac-12 games is concerning," according to CBS Sports' Rob Rang

The 6-foot-4, 205-pound Goff does flash traits that evaluators can fall in love with at the next level. In 32 starts, Goff has put up solid numbers, with 10,347 yards passing, with a 77-29 TD-to-INT ratio on his resume. However, Rang notes that "Sonny Dykes' up-tempo spread offense" has helped inflate Goff's stats. Rang still has Goff as his top QB prospect and believes Goff "offers exciting traits: good anticipation, impressive accuracy on short and intermediate passes, functional mobility and toughness."

Source: CBS Sports
    Nov 13 - 3:23 PM

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

had a nice final game for the season...Still think he is going to be special in the NFL behind the right OLine and a proven NFL head coach. I totally think he would have massive success here in Houston under BOB...and yes it would be a gamble if the Texans decided to move up, but there are things i see in his game that translate well into the NFL. Under the right guidance..he will succeed.

If the Browns take him, I can totally see him struggle...their franchise is just a mess...

My guess, he is the first QB taken, and it will be between Cleveland or San Fran

9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Watched a couple of highlights from ESPN. He made a lot of nice throws. Given our rotating QB situation, I still think tanking would have been better in the long run. The team has made a surprising turn around, but even then, I don't think we're contenders until our offense improves.

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

And you are exactly right.

I think a good running back would also help us out.

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I truly believe that this team has the right HC, and seems to be a guy that gets his players to compete...Even against the Patriots, BOB had a good game plan...until Brady decided to destroy us with Gronk...and Belicheck turned up pressure on Hoyer...

All we really are missing is that guy in the leagues most important position...Brady is just laughing at the possibilities of facing the AFC's gaunlet of backup QBs. vs what the NFC has to go thru...

At the begining of the season, I said this very thing...even if this team finds a way to make the playoffs, we are still left with the unending question of who this team's QB is...Its why I believed tanking wouldve been fine...if the front office believed that said player exists in this year's draft. On the flip side, being a chronically bad team has lasting impacts on moral and future success. Part of what allows the Rockets to attract FA's is a history of success since the title years. The Rockets are a winning franchise under Les' leadership...The Texans however cant claim the same thing. They are forever going to be thought of as a below avg NFL team, one without significant success. This is such a difficult decision to make. The Astros decided losing for a while is the best way to accrue assets and build for the future (looks like they turned a corner). The Rockets went against that mold, with James Harden falling into their lap. Only the Texans remain in the same quandary they've faced since Matt Schaub started falling apart...I just wished that this NFL team would get that this city has been starving for success. And of the 3 major sports, Texans and football will always be king. It would be nice if the Texans reciprocated that love back to the city.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

There's not a can't miss QB in this draft. I think any one of Goff, Lynch, Cook, and Wentz could end up being either a franchise guy or decidedly mediocre if not a bust. No real way of telling which it will be. From that perspective, it doesn't seem worth it to tank. In a draft without a clear top QB (Luck, Winston/Mariota), putting yourself in position to take that first QB off the board could net you a Christian Ponder or Jake Locker while the 3rd or 4th QB taken could be a Joe Flacco or Russell Wilson. Given the prospects available, I'd rather win now and take my chances with whoever falls to us.

The worst case scenario is not making the playoffs and missing out on a franchise QB in the draft because of it. The worst case scenario is halting momentum, taking a step backwards, and tanking for a QB who doesn't end up being the guy. In that scenario, you still don't get your QB of the future and now the rest of the team sucks too. That might be a move you risk taking if there's an Andrew Luck in the draft, but not when Goff and Lynch (as much as I like them) are the top 2 guys.

#312 Cannonball, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Have a game, Jared Goff!
    <a href="https://t.co/a78DVAz5ts">https://t.co/a78DVAz5ts</a></p>&mdash; SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/682007578633613312">December 30, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Most TD Passes in a Single-Season - Pac-12 History
    2015 Jared Goff 43
    2014 Marcus Mariota 42</p>&mdash; ESPN Stats &amp; Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/681976796569546753">December 29, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In today's Armed Forces Bowl, California QB Jared Goff became the fifth player in FBS history to throw 6 or more TD passes in a bowl game.</p>&mdash; ESPN Stats &amp; Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/681975996711440384">December 29, 2015</a></blockquote>

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jared Goff broke Cal's record for most passing yards in a bowl game, surpassing a current NFL star <a href="https://t.co/kZOdzIls6r">pic.twitter.com/kZOdzIls6r</a></p>&mdash; ESPN Stats &amp; Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/682029757530247169">December 30, 2015</a></blockquote>

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Goff and Lynch are almost locks to go to SF and Cleveland.

16. Cannonball

They might. But this time a couple of years ago both Manziel and Bridgewater were expected to go roughly Top 12 and they ended up going in the latter part of the first round.

In the last few drafts, teams have been more patient in drafting QBs unless it's a top guy. There haven't quite been the reaches like when Ponder, Gabbert, and Locker all went top 12.

In 2014, which is somewhat similar to this years draft, Oakland needed a QB but waited until the 2nd round. Cleveland needed a QB but used their 2nd pick on one instead of their first. Likewise, Minnesota used their top 10 pick on a different position and got their QB by trading back into the end of the first round.

It would not shock me to see something similar happen again this year.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

if you believe the rumors, unable bob wants to trade up. if you think you can get your guy then trade this years 2nd and next years 1st and see if that's enough. probably not but won't know until you try.

18. Cannonball

I wouldn't trade up for any QB in this draft. Maybe just a couple of spots to keep someone from jumping in front of us again, but I wouldn't try to leapfrog Cleveland or San Fran.

Not that I think somebody like Goff or Lynch won't be good, I just don't think they're enough of a sure thing to warrant giving up a lot to get them. If they go high, I'd be fine with staying put and taking Cook or Wentz.

BOB may want a QB, but he's not the kind of owner who's going to give a hard order to draft one no matter what. He hired people to make exactly these kinds of decisions and apparently has enough confidence in them that he's not going to make any changes to the power structure this offseason. So while he might express a desire for a QB, Rick and O'Brien are going to be the ones making the call. And if there's not an opportunity to move and/or it's not worth it (asking price too high), then we're not going to move up. And if there's not a QB worth taking at #21, we might not take one in the first. Despite McNair's comments, I don't think we're going to force anything or reach on a QB.