1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KG to Portland?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LAfadeaway33, Jul 14, 2002.

1. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

this is all from www.oregonlive.com

» Garnett for Wallace and DD? (7/12 - ESPN's Insider)
    Summary: Minnesota GM Kevin McHale confirmed Thursday that he's had discussions about trading star forward Kevin Garnett. Were the Blazers one of the teams McHale spoke with? ESPN's Chad Ford says there are only four franchises in the league (Clippers, Blazers, Mavericks, Bulls) that have the assets (both players and money) to make a deal for Garnett. And you can all but eliminate the Clippers, because they've proven unwilling to pay the big bucks KG makes (two years left on a $126 million deal). Ford suggests a package of Rasheed Wallace and Dale Davis could be enough to pry 'The Big Ticket' out of Minnesota. If Portland was able to pull off this trade, it would need to find a center to plug the middle (unrestricted free-agents Michael Doleac & Scott Williams could be possibilities), while Portland will still make a run at free-agent PG Jeff McInnis says Ford.

2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see how Wallace and Davis would be enough...Wallace is a little nutty and Davis is up there in age. Maybe if Wells was added, I might see Minny considering it. Otherwise, I don't get it.

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't see anyway Minny does that deal unless they get a good Guard out of it. That is easily their weakest position. Stoudemire, Anderson, or Wells would have to go along with the others for it to make any sense.

4. super_mario

super_mario Member

Wasn't the complaint about Garnett that he was being paid so much that Minnesota couldn't afford to get better? With Rasheed, Minnesota gets a very good albeit flaky player with a smaller price tag than Garnett.

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

If Portland was willing to do Rasheed and Bonzi it would be the most perfect deal for both teams.

Minny would be getting two stars for the price of one. Portland would benefit by getting rid of two head cases and getting a stand up guy for a change.

On a sidenote, I bet that Wallace would have an MVP type season in Minnesota. His offensive game is probably better then Garnett and his defesne is not far behind. If he ever matures he could easily be a top five player in the league.

6. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

If Rasheed weren't on the Blazers and weren't competing for touches with about eight other worthy players he would be an all star every year.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree with ROckets03,it would a good deal for both teams provided if Wallace and Wells started clearing up their acts.

8. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Wow, this would be a legit blockbuster trade. In the end, neither team's gettin' past the Lakers though.

9. ScreamingRocketJet

No way Minnesota does that.

Their whole problem is they can't build around KG because of all their cap / Joe Smith drama's.

Taking on RW and DD gets them to the first round and OUT again.
    They desperately need a deal that gets them two young starters and loads of picks.

Chicago would have to be the most likely. Chandler + Rose + first rounders.

Minnesota then gets a chance to build...which is what they want. First round and out is wasting everyone's time. If Chandler developes, he could replace KG in a few years. Rose could be traded for picks + players.

10. haven

haven Member

Hmmm... Portland?

I can't imagine it would be for Rasheed and DD. A package like Rasheed, Bonzi, and Stoudamire would seem more likely. No idea bout the cap dynamics.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't imagine McHale would go for that trade. Rasheed and Bonzi = major talent. They're also major headcases. McHale has shown a tendency toward "conservative family values", i.e., he wouldn't even ask for Francis (not that we'd give him up) when asking for our #1 this year, thinking Francis is a hothead. And don't the Wolves announcers constantly rip on Francis?

The Wolves had their fill of J.R. Rider. I don't see them taking on Sheed and Bonzi.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'd take Sheed over KG if KG demands a raise in his extension... Hopefully sending him to Siberia will cool his hot head.