1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ming won't have to carry the load

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by solid, Jul 11, 2002.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

With all the MingMania going on (and I am a part of it- I am very excited), let's not lose focus. Ming won't be expected to put the team on his shoulders. In fact, it is likely that he will be the lightening rod that draws attention away from the other players. Other teams may be so intent on showing him up, they may become distracted.

Also, Francis, Mobley, Griffin, Taylor, Thomas et. al. must feel really left out of the limelight, and will likely come on stronger than ever. I am up for everyone in the world being focused on Ming while the rest of the team rips through the league. THE PSYCHOLOGY OF THIS WHOLE SITUATION FAVORS THE ROCKETS

2. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Excelent thinking ! Solid Member

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that Ming won't have to. I just people understand that just because, at least early on, Ming won't put up huge numbers, doesn't mean he's bust.

I think Ming signifigantly improves the team, and will grow to be one of the go-to guys on this team. He doesn't even have to be 'the' go-to guy. We've got Francis on this team, and it will still be Francis' who's the main man on the Rockets.

I think it's fine for people to be excited about Ming's arrival, or to even think that he will be a bust in the NBA.

But I hope the fact that Ming may not put up huge numbers, especially early on, won't sour the opinion of those that are looking at him as a savior. I also hope that those that seem to feel Ming will be a bust won't gloat and think that his lack of numbers proves their side of the argument either.

I think Ming will help the team a great deal, and he doesn't have to be the star of this team to be worth the number one selection.

4. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Shaq will be hanging out with Ming at the 3-point line when Griffin, Mo, Cuttino and Francis dunk all over the other lakers.

5. The Fever

The Fever Member

I agree with all the comments about Ming. It seems that most people think that because we have Ming now, that he is our star, our go-to-guy, and the one who will lead us back to the post season. In reality, Stevie is our star, our go-to-guy, and he just needed some pieces to the puzzle so HE can carry us back to the post-season.

The thing this teams needed most is a reliable center. There are none in the league with the exception of Shaq or Vlade, so the Rox best option was to take Ming. The critics can say what they want, but he is the right piece for this team. We just need him to compliment everyone else's talent on the team, and we are back in form. I believe he will do that.

If the national critics expect Shaq-numbers from Ming, they are all crazy. He has been dominate for the last 3-4 years, but it took him 4-5 years to get there. Give that to Ming, and in 5 years when he is 27 (and in his prime), the critics will be looking for the next Ming instead of the next Shaq.