1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Golden State Warriors: on pace for 4th best team ever

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by kevC, Jan 22, 2015.

1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

According Basketball-Reference.com's SRS, which combines scoring margin and strength of schedule:

Link

All 10 of the top 10 teams went to the NBA Finals and 8 of them went on to win it. The only ones that lost were #5 '72 Bucks who lost to #3 '72 Lakers and '13 Thunder who lost to Lebron being all Lebron.

This is a special team we're witnessing. I hope this makes their sweep of us feel a little more bearable. :(

2. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Well good for them I guess.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Okc will beat them in the first round, mark my words

4. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

If OKC gets in at the 8th seed they have a real good shot at beating the Warriors.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

And I still don't think that would mean the Warriors are a bad team or even any worse than the 2nd best team in the league.

6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

It appears that jackson was holding them back.

I hate them less than when Jackson was their coach

7. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

That would be an amazing series. Much better than easts 1-8 with the nets

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No offense to the OP, but that is the worst Top 10 ranking I've ever seen in my life. It is horribly bad. I would never have posted that. I would have said, "Might be fun to use SRS across eras, let's see. Uh, well that's not right. Forget that."

There is something wrong with using that stat the way you are.

SRS is primarily used in the middle of a season as a predicting tool, and it does a great job. But using it to compare one season to the next is very flawed. At best it would tell you which teams were much better than the competitions. But it doesn't say anything about how good that competition was that year vs other years. Someone has to win games, so strength of schedule is not a good indicator for comparing the 2013 Thunder to the 1985 Lakers.

The stat says that the 2013 Thunder are better than any Magic, Bird, Duncan or Moses team. And it says the best Boston team ever was 2008. lols very flawed.

#8 heypartner, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  9. what

what Member

I'm not saying anything about the stat: but I will say this Golden State is going to be tough to beat. They have the top 2 backcourt players in the league in Curry and Thompson and add to that a collection of defensive players and wing scorers.

They are routing people for a reason. However once those rookie deals start to trickle down and fa hell begins they will have to do what okc did. However this year, not sure anybody can beat them.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I agree that the OP posted the wrong title and came to the wrong conclusion; best team ever qualifications shouldn't be drawn.

BUT... it is very interesting the correlation between SRS and Championships, right?

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

That's great and all but how much flexibility do they have?

2 people like this.
  12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It was always funny to me that a team with so many good offensive players was so mediocre on offense. Have to credit Mark Jackson: He could shut down the Warriors much better than the Rockets can.

1 person likes this.
  13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It's no better than the correlation between #1 and #2 seeds winning the championships. Are you assuming SRS is better than Wins based on the link the OP provided.

Check out this link of most wins in a season

B-R.com link of Most Wins ever

In the Top 20 ever, we have this

• 13 won the title
    • 5 lost to the team who won the title
    • 3 lost to the team who won the title AND the victor was #1 seed having the most wins in the NBA
    • The only two left was a Lebron team that lost to Dwight and the Dallas choke job losing 1st round

So, that stat is not any better than Wins/Seeding. People just love stats and like to find something that is better than Wins

my notes
    Bos ECF lost to NY winners
    MIL WCF lost to LAL winner the #1 seed that year
    DET ECF lost to Miami winners
    UTAH Finals lost to MJ the #1 seed that year
    SEA Finals lost to MJ the #1 seed that year

Lebron lost to ORL in ECF

DAL choke job losing first round

14. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

When the playoffs come around let's see if they can keep it up.

15. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

All I know is I don't want the Rockets playing them in the playoffs. Bad matchup for us obviously.

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Same. Mark Jackson made me hate that team.

Now, the only two people I hate on that team are Bogut and Green who are both jerks.

If Rockets are out, I would rather have warriors win it.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Right, I get that the correlation between teams that are really good in the regular season and teams that win the championship is likely high.

I am curious if it is a better correlation... maybe it is slightly better.... maybe not...

good feedback... my comment was pretty useless!

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

#NotThatGood #SwagChamp

19. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

Some of their guys got a lot better at the right time. They are strong af this year. Wouldn't mind seeing a Warriors Hawks finals. Never thought I would say that in my life time.

20. lalala902102001

People are still underestimating the Warriors. They are playing great basketball and they've got the best backcourt in a league where the backcourt dominates these days.

You are mad if you don't think that OKC will do whatever they can to try to get to the 7th seed to avoid GS in the first around. There is a long way to go till the playoffs -- the Rockets could drop all the way to the 8th seed if they don't start playing better.