1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White skips game and practice (UPDATE: White issues statement)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 13, 2012.

1. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Does it matter whether I, some random forum goer that you don't know about, whose opinion honestly doesn't even matter in the grand scheme of things, had personal and mental problems in the past? Everyone has their own story and my experiences made me offer my opinion on how Royce is handling the situation. Other members have shared their own experiences. Just because I almost committed suicide in my early 20s BECAUSE of a job, does that make my opinion more right? Does me being institutionalized because of that mean my opinion makes me an expert? Does forcing myself to go see a psychologist when I stopped eating for weeks and couldn't even control my ******* bowel functions because I went bonkers, does that somehow lend MORE credence to my ideas? What the hell do you even mean, bro? I'm not any more right because of that, nor are any of us. I don't think your life was a basket of roses, either. No one's is, that's the thing. How we respond to it is makes us who we are, and just based off what I personally think I think Royce is a goddamned baby that isn't seriously going crazy because if he was he'd be getting help right now instead of broadcasting to the world all his thoughts and how RIGHT and TRANSPARENT he is and making those with mental disorders after him look like psychos. He doesn't speak on behalf of all those with anxiety but he sure thinks he does.

Frankly only medical professionals have opinions that matter here, but that doesn't mean we can't express our own thoughts. I am honestly shocked that you feel my insignificant personal life matters at all when we're talking about some random pissy basketball player that always acts like he's victimized. And me reacting so strongly to your post means I "lose" I guess.

3 people like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

No idea if this is pertinent or not to any sort of PTSD issue, but I've seen it mentioned in a few articles as the sort-of genesis of his anxiety:

White traces his first encounter with anxiety to long before his diagnosis. At the age of 10, his best friend, LaDream Yarbrough, collapsed after wind sprints during basketball practice. Drool trickled down his face as White looked on. Yarbrough, who was suffering from a previously undetected heart abnormality, was rushed to the hospital and survived. But White was never the same. After that moment, he lived in constant fear, a fear that he, too, would one day collapse on the court. His anxiety was constantly creeping.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8096247/on-road-nba-draft-prospect-royce-white

I really hope he seeks out some professional help. Soon.

3. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

this!:grin:

4. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To those criticising posters for being "mean" to Royce by telling him to "Man Up"....

People with his same condition have to "Man Up" every ******* day or they don't eat.

The only difference is that they were not born with his talent, so instead of having the privilege to play a game for a living they join the Military.

If only we could see how Royce would handle being in the Marines....now THAT would be entertaining!

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i think he has a greater probability of collapsing on a twitter run.......homey is relentless he don't even take a breather.....i mean at least let t-will sub in for you a few minutes

4 people like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

He will get that money back if the it is the Rockets' appointed therapist who is responsible for the non-face to face appointments.

Rockets fining White for not meeting sufficient standards (phone vs. in-person) but it appears to be Dr. Fink who was setting up the phone appointments. That is beyond White's control. Hence, wrong is wrong. White's behavior is certainly odd but he's right about that.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Why exactly is Royce White not going to practice? The games? The D-League assignment?

To me that is the real question. Because he feels like a number and not a human? Because the NBA treats players like commodities?

Have the Rockets locked him out of the Toyota Center or is he just refusing to go because he is not getting his way?

I have followed this whole thing and Royce is so very vague on his issues with the Rockets. He says the team is inconsistant with it's attention to Royce's issues but does not say in what way.

I guess at the end of it all I really want to know what Royce's intentions with the Rockets are? Is he willing to work like the rest of the players and earn his playing time? Is he willing to show up for practices? Is he willing to go to Rio Grand Valley? Is he making an attempt to show up for work and do what his employer requires of him?

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To the people who are saying Royce can't have PTSD.... Sadly you have no idea what you are talking about. It is entirely possible for him to be suffering from PTSD without ever having gone to combat or having seen any military action.

It's very possible for White to be suffering from PTSD. If you aren't a mental health professional or don't have the mental health issues that Royce White has, then your opinion about White jerking the team around, being manipulative, being lazy, having an ego problem etc. mean less than nothing. The fact is that you have no clue.

I don't have a clue either. So I'm not going to say that White is doing everything perfectly or doing everything horribly. I'm guessing he's made some mistakes. It's also very likely that his decision making that lead him to make those mistakes was in part due to his mental health issues.

What I'd like to see is Royce White take the Rockets up on their offer of seeking mental health care professionals that they've made available to White. I wish that he'd do that and it would have great success in helping him deal with all of his issues.

While that isn't happening, I'm disappointed, but I don't think it's necessary or even makes sense for me or anyone else on the outside to assume they know every motivation and thought process that's lead White to where he is at the moment. I'll just wish him well, and focus on the guys on the team who are playing and available to play.

9. Raven

Raven Member

If Royce thinks this is tough, just wait until he plays on the road in places like SLC.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

How about the part where he has skipped practice and games? Is that not reason enough alone to fine him?

11. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the majority of fans feel this way, but, due to the longevity of this tirade, it is very difficult to just look the other way.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

FWIW
    And as you said, feels the Rockets are inconsistent.

We can only speculate(and even that might not be safe, ha) but seems at least 2 of his beefs are playing time and his doctor vs their doctor.

#1992 J.R., Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

more like wait till he plays in guangzhou and chengdu with t-will

14. kinein

kinein Member

Everyone needs to relax. When he is ready he will disappear off our radar until he gets to play a game in the NBA. For now he has a lot of work to do - to get into the right frame of mind and proper head space.

15. ApuN

ApuN Member

This is what the less gullible amongst us have realized. The guy blasts out a million tweets but doesn't specify what the Rockets are not doing to make a "safe environment"

They sent him to the D-League and he doesn't like it. For the first time in his life nothing is being handed to him so he decides to throw a twitter-tantrum.

2 people like this.
  16. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

After catching up in reading the last few pages of this thread I went to this thread http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=229330 and read this paragraph...

“It was definitely hard last year,” Morris admits. “I was definitely questioning myself because anytime you come in being one of the top players in the country in college basketball you think that you ought to come in and play right away and do what you want. Then when I got sent to the D-League, I took it hard. This summer I just put it in my head to never let it happen again, so anything I needed to do – practice, getting in shape or whatever – I just did it.”

D-League and adversity led to some humility which led to self awareness which led to him reevaluating himself and his basketball shortcomings which led to watching tape and working on his game which led to him being a better player which led to rediscovering his love for "the game" which led to happiness...

How refreshing to read a quote from a young man who developed his character which resulted in being a better player, instead of the stuff that we are reading from Royce's tweets?!?

For those using your twitter account to attack Royce, why don't you just ignore him and use your account to commend Morris for his development as a man and a player.

The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand. - Vince Lombardi

2 people like this.
  17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is what the less knowledgeable amongst us of have presumed, and assumed to be the truth without any real insight or knowledge of what the situation is and what issues he faces.

1 person likes this.
  18. DreHNIC

DreHNIC Member

I agree with THIS!!!!!!!!!

19. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

I can only be with you to a point. The problem is that a lot of people apparently look up to Royce as an example, and he is engaged in a large scale passive aggressive public rant. He's preaching honesty and transparency, while he offers neither of those in his communications. There's a reason we don't know what this is about. It's because he he himself is putting some pretty strong stuff out there in a clouded form that makes it impossible to fairly evaluate or refute. He says just enough to antagonize and confuse. Yes, everyone should be a little less bitter toward him, but he knows exactly what he's doing in fueling the fire.

Look, it's troubling enough to hear reports that this all began over a lack of playing time, and that his communication with Morey was essentially "play me or my anxiety will be an issue." Maybe this is true, maybe not. On a bigger scale, though, there are people out there who have come to see White as an inspiration, and he is modeling some very destructive behavior. That can't be good.

20. joegoroxy

joegoroxy Member

just cut this guy his check, and cut him from the team.

i have anxiety on planes, but u know what, if i have to ride a freaking plane i do it!