1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Promote Gersson Rosas to Executive VP of Basketball Operations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Congratulations to Gersson... well deserved.

You might note that "Executive VP of Basketball Operations" is also Sam Hinkie's title with the Rockets, and Sam was <a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=225359">interviewing for the open GM position with Philadelphia</a>... but my understanding right now on this is it's one of those titles that is not exclusive. They both hold that title.

Press release:
    <HR>
    HOUSTON – Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey announced today that the team has elevated Gersson Rosas to the title of Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations. Rosas will also continue his duties as General Manager for the Rio Grande Valley Vipers, which is Houston’s single-affiliation NBA Development League partner.

"Gersson is one of the best basketball evaluators and executives in the NBA,” said Morey. “He has been key to the success we have had in the draft and all personnel moves during his tenure. He is one of the fastest rising executives in the industry. We are thrilled with this move."

Rosas enters his ninth season with the Houston Rockets and his first as Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations. He moves into his current role after working the last three seasons (2009-12) as Vice President of Player Personnel. In 2008-09, Rosas served as Houston’s Director of Player Personnel after working one campaign as the team’s Director of Scouting and three seasons as the team’s Personnel Scout/Video Coordinator.

In his new position, Rosas will assists Morey in all basketball operations of the franchise and will be responsible for the team’s player personnel matters, including the evaluation of draft prospects, free agents and potential trade targets. In addition, he will continue overseeing domestic and international scouting, while also assisting in the coordination of the team’s Player Development program.

In his three seasons as Rio Grande Valley’s GM, the Vipers took home the 2009-10 D-League championship, reached back-to-back D-League Finals, compiled a 91-59 (.607) regular season record and have had nine players earn All-NBA D-League honors. In 2011-12, Rio Grande Valley center Greg Smith was named to the 2011-12 All-NBA D-League First Team and the 2011-12 D-League All-Rookie First Team. Center Jeff Adrien was also named the 2010-11 D-League Impact Player of the Year as voted on by the league’s head coaches. Vipers forward Mike Harris was named the 2009-10 NBA D-League’s Most Valuable Player, while then-Head Coach Chris Finch took home the 2009-10 Dennis Johnson Coach of the Year Award. In addition, Rio Grande Valley broke the NBA D-League single-season record for Call-Ups to the NBA in 2009-10 with 10, including Mike Harris, Garrett Temple and Will Conroy signing with the Rockets.

2. WNBA

WNBA Member

Rockets are more like Rio Grande Valley's NBDL team.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

These titles and duties are confusing. Seems like the only thing that changed is the title. Wasn't Rosas already helping out with all those things?

Does Rosas have any experience in basketball, outside of the Rockets? Can't remember what he did before...

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

After the Marcus Morris and Terrence Williams disasters, they need to add someone from another team who is better at scouting Non-Euro players.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Congrats Gersson!

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

As far as I've read about Gersson, the Rockets are his first and only employer in the bball world, as said in his bio above he started as a video/scout guy for them. UH grad.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Now we gonna get some calls. Good asset acquired.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

From what I understand, its not that Rosas' moved into a whole new job, now he's promoted he's like a mini-GM.

Before that he was the VP evaluator of talent. Now he's the VP evaluator of talent AND he's helping Morey with "basketball operations" (talk about ambiguous job descriptions lol).

As for those asking what Rosas was before, seems like he is a Rockets lifer who rose up the ranks, he started out as an intern for the Rockets, moved on to various coaching jobs, became the Rox video coordinator. Director of player personnel and finally VP of player personnel before his new role. He's also the GM of the Vipers, so my guess is he's tight with Chris Finch. Big picture you know how Morey always says $ball is just half of what they look at, the other half is traditional scouting and standard player evaluations? I think Rosas is the dude who provides that "traditional" view when the Rox evaluate guys.

Maybe him getting promoted was to provide contingency as the other dude might become a GM of another team. I have no idea :confused:

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Did he have an actual coaching position or are you speculating? Can't remember him ever coaching anything, not here anyway.

10. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Is he that good or are we trying to protect some critical proprietary knowledge?

12. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Does this mean the Rockets are hiring? I could use a job with them!

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I would look for a job with the Spurs first, and then when the Rockets see that your about to be hired with them they will snatch you up.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Congrats to Rosas and to Hinkie. I can't imagine them going with 2 execs sharing the same title for very long. They're doing this in anticipation of Hinkie moving on.

15. chizzell

chizzell Member

Never coached here but did Coach lower level. He is a great guy and well deserving!!!

16. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I went to Jr. High & High School with Gersson, really cool dude. I'm very happy for him and his family!

(Dobie Longhorns for life)