1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible Target: Chris Duhon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by emjohn, May 11, 2007.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Maybe this is thinking too small, but I try to be realistic about our means to acquire talent (MLE, draft, marginal trade assets).

Shoring up the PG position is one of our most obvious priorities, and JL3 simply isn't much to speak of as a backup (re: someone who can help take minutes away from Rafer).

Chris Duhon at the moment is racking up DNP's for Chicago, and would be worth a shot, IMO. He's entering his final year ($3.2 mill) and has career averages of 7 and 4 in 27 mpg. An A/T ratio that's above 3, which is fantastic for a PG. Unremarkable as a shooter (38%, 36% 3pt), which is a hot button on this BBS, and iffy on D (main reason he isn't getting PT vs Billups).

Personally, I'm sour on shooting point guards. It's old school conservative of me, but I just don't see shooting point guards doing anything but ruining a team offense. These teams always seem to get exposed early in the playoffs. For example, if offered these choices only to be our PG (only, not swinging to SG), I'd take today's creaky Jason Kidd over Gilbert Arenas 10 out of 10 times. Maybe he racks up points, but Washington's offense consists of rotating isos and they get hammered every year when they face serious defenses.

Sorry for the tangent. Point is, I don't know if we'd be able to work the trade (no way should we dangle our draft pick), but Duhon's a guy I wouldn't mind as a small patch on our PG problem.

Thoughts?

Evan

2. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I've actually thought about Duhon as a target as well as Hakim Warrick. I don't know how attainable either would be, but they would definitely fill some holes.

3. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Right now, I think any backup PG not named V-Span would work for us.

4. Guru

Guru Member

FG% - 37.5
    3P% - 36.3

These are Rafer's stats...why would you want another Rafer, I thought we were trying to upgrade. :D

5. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I'd settle for a backup at this point.

6. conquistador#11

we have a great backup in rafer :D

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

They'd want at least Rafer in exchange making Duhon the starter by default. When he gets heavy minutes, starter minutes his shot is far worse than rafers on either side of the 3P line.

He didn't play in the last game against Detroit but has played in every other playoff game for them. In regular season he hardly gets DNPs.

8. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

The Bulls, like most teams, would have absolutely zero interest in Alston.

9. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

I don't think one can extrapolate what someone shoots on another team
    to what they would shoot in Houston especially in 3-pt land.

Duhon being in Chicago has little to no post presence and I don't believe their main offensive weapon Gordon to be a truly adept passer to give open looks.

The difference is that Rafer is WIDE FREAKING OPEN in his three-point attempts versus these other players are shooting with defenders in their face.

I would think someone that shot the same as rafer for the bulls could raise that quite a bit here with all the double teams that Yao and T-Mac create.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

emjohn, if you wanted to acquire him for the Rockets, who do we have that the Bulls would want?

Duhon looks to me like a classic low cost option at backup PG. I think he would be on Morey's radar.

An Alston/Duhon PG rotation is better than Alston/Head, but it still looks rather lacking.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you really need a change of pace/style guy to go along with rafer and i dont think duhon is that guy. He's certainly a solid player and he's better than what they have but i'd prefer a guy that brings a different skill set than rafer, particularly penetrating and finishing.

12. TMACFORMVP

TMACFORMVP Member

He's solid defensively and knows how to run a team well, but his shooting is something that concerns me. He's real streaky and frankly, that's the last thing we need.

How bout Hinrich! :D

13. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

It's been shown that this team needs a PG who isn't an offensive liability, which Duhon is. I would say pass, but given our limited assets we may end up with something like this.

14. Barkley

Barkley Member

Agree. We nedd a PG who is quick like Rafer but not only shoot the fu*king 3s. He has to drive to the basket draw fouls make easy buckets.

I think Duhon is like Rafer. He only shoots a lot of bad 3s

15. Proz4k

Proz4k Member

Duhon is more responsble PG then Alston, but you guys know that he's not a shooter at all, i mean, Rafer is better at shooting the ball.

16. LFE171

LFE171 Member

True, but when you got battier being the best post passer...then we may need a better pg who can "distribute" besides mcgrady.

i love rafer. but man, when you got him and head doing bounce passes to the post, thats a TO WAITING to happen. Give me someone who can throw it in there to yao!

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If they are swept. . . will Chicago look to blow up there team some?

Rocket River

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

There is certainly a lot of clamoring about reworking the frontcourt in Chicago. They know better than to move Deng or Hinrich.

Evan

19. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

Chris Who?

If you take Arenas over Kidd you are crazy. Washington would still be in the playoffs had Arenas not been injured and the Nets would not.

20. awo86

awo86 Rookie

insignificant piece.....duhon's juz a scrub

we should b eyeing at mike james or better...a scoring (penetrating) PG.