1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Chris Paul

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by gr8-1, Dec 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

His numbers are very impressive, but what's amazing is Steve had better numbers as a rookie. You guys see any similarities? I think chris is the more natural pg and may be more valuable some day. He even wears #3.

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Chris Paul is a true PG who is also can score. Similar to Steve but a way better passer and better shooter IMO. Can't believe the Hawks passed him up for Marvin Williams when they may have the worst starting PG in league in Tyrone Lue.

3. binhie

binhie Member

steve also had a better team his rookie year

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Sorry, but Paul is having a better year than Steve's rookie season. More assists, more rebounds, better FG%...but most importantly, a 2.8 assist/turnover ratio

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That's very debatable. Barkley's career ended after game 20 and Rudy was debating whether to start Olajuwon or Cato (depending on when Olajuwon could play)

6. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

Chris Paul impresses me more than any other rookie because I've been following the Demon Deacons as much as I can, and although he was great, I really didn't think he was going to be this good. I thought he was going to be one of those special combo guards that are roleplayers at best (ala Mobley) but the dude is just straight out balling like a superstar. He's making me eat crow for calling Diener the best pure point guard of his class :D

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I never thought he would be a combo guard, he's just a very good pg who happens to be able to score.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

He looks good for certain. That the Hornets have been playing so well speaks volumes. The last couple of years, Baron Davis was massaging the ball and the thought was he had to in order for the Hornets to stay afloat, but it now looks like he was simply ball-hogging.

Paul is very effectively running the team and distributing the ball around. Hawks were straight-stupid for passing him up for Williams.

He does have a couple things he needs to work on, though. His FT% and 3PT% are pretty bad for a point guard. Hopefully that comes after a good summer or two of work.

Evan

9. binhie

binhie Member

Can't deny the Rocket's commercials back then were awsome though :cool:

10. lalala902102001

I love SF, but Chris Paul is already a better PG than he was, is, or will ever be.

11. KHimmatramka

KHimmatramka Member

francis was a lead player
    paul is a great role player

i do not think paul will become an all star player
    but he is going to be one of those "Elton Brand" players who deserves to be a all star, but isn't

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I don't know many "role players" that lead their team in points, assists, steals, and minutes played. I guess McGrady, Kobe, and Lebron are all role players, then...

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

LOL, he'll be an all star. Just watch.

14. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Does Paul actually compare more to Andre Miller or even Baron Davis? note-I know Andre and Baron are completely different, but bottom line, who does the kid remind you of?

15. sbyang

sbyang Member

What's an all star player?

Chauncy Billups has never been an all-star but Gilbert Arenas was last year, who would you rather have leading your team?

Why compare SF3 to Paul, one's a 2 guard and one's a PG

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Chris Paul has heart.
    Steve Francis has no heart.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

That's bologna. Francis has plenty of heart. You apparently didn't see the layup he put in over Shaq to win that playoff game or the games he played in where he had a lump on his elbow the size of a baseball. Francis has plenty of heart.

18. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Let's see how they progress in three years.

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

:rolleyes: i hope you're joking.

i don't really look at chris paul and see steve francis but they both have the ability to fill up the stat sheet. paul is a more natural pg but steve is a better more explosive scorer.

it's funny how after all this time people still have this unfounded animosity for francis. he was a very good player for the rockets but it feels like he left here on a sour note and that wasn't really the case. any chance someone has to put him down they take it.

20. KHimmatramka

KHimmatramka Member

francis is one of the best things that ever happened to the rockets
    don't diss him