1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA 2k5 Reviews

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Icehouse, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Played ESPN 2k5 last night, but only for about an hour. Started easy with the Rockets vs the Bobcats (on the hardest level). They were up by 1 at the half (39-38).

I am very impressed with the game so far. I haven't had a chance to see everything, but definite improvements are:

A) A much better post up game (offensively and defensively). I fed Yao a lot, and he was 5-9 for 14 points.

B) A new playbook. The older verisons had one set play without any variations to it. This playbook is like the typical Live one (one set with various options).

C) Graphics are better of course, especially the default camera angle.

D) It's easier to secure defensive boards.

E) Nice halftime show, where they discuss who has been carrying the team, and they even show highlights of that player from the first half.

Dislikes:

A) I'm used to controlling my player through the regular up, down, left, right buttons. However, in this game you have to use the left analog stick (which I have never done).

B) Isomotion seemed usuless in an actual game situation, but maybe I just don't know how to use it yet.

Overall, great game for only $20.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yikes! I am a + pad user myself. I am not a fan of the analog sticks. Are you SURE you cant use the pad? What is the pad used for then? I just never feel like I have good enough control of the player using the stick. Just feels too loose. I guess I am stuck in my old ways with the pad.

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Wow, after years of using the analog stick, I loathe having to use the dpad anymore. Esp for fighting games.

Didn't think there'd be opposition to it.

4. shawn786

shawn786 Member

U & Me, i HATE using that stick it just dosnt feel right when your running around. Grrrrr thats bad news!

5. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Deuce

I am not 100% positive. However, I did not see any reference to switching over to the pad in the instruction manual. I also went through the controller options, and did not see an option for it either. It's going to take some getting used to, because there were a few situations last night where I was just standing there wondering why my player was not moving.

Oh, and you can use the pad everywhere else but gameplay.

CriscoKidd

I guess we are the old-timers that refused to upgrade. Looks like we don't have a choice now. The analog stick does make my thumb hurt though. :(

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

That's funny, I remember the dpad giving me blisters back when SF2 for the SNES came out. Ouch.

:cool:

7. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

I played about the same amount last night and was satisfied with it, seems better than 2k5. I didn't like to 2k5 at first but the key to it manipulating the game settings such as shooting on the road vs home, defensive stopping effectiveness, etc...Can't beat it for $20.00, but I would have probably gotten it even if it was $49.99 b/c I love the 2K series. Peace.

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Played both games today and 2k5 graphics are much superior to live's graphics. I also felt live's gameplay wasnt as good as 2k5. And one thing live's rosters isnt as updated as 2k5. The live rockets had griffin,pike on them still (Boki wasnt on the default roster, probably on the IR!!:mad: :mad: ) while 2k5 had Deke on the rockets. It is going to take me a bit to learn the new controls for 2k5 but as nazr mohammed would say espn 2k5 is 'head and shoulders above the rest'

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

When I got home from work my wife surprised me with NBA 2K5 (PS2). Awesome! :)

Man, it was REALLY tough to get used to the Analog Stick (being a pad user). But after a few games I am slowly getting the hang of it.

LOVE the new game. The player movements are incredible! That to me is one of the biggest upgrades from 2K4. Just all the movements, the swipe of the ball, drives, moving in the air, everything! I even tied up a guy for a jumpball! Cool! The post moves are nice as well. I am still learning Isomotion. That will take some time.

Another thing that is nice is that dunks are harder to achieve, just like in real life. And it is not as easy to drive down the lane as in 2K4. Another thing I like is the player movement without the ball. Guys dont just stand around, they move all over the place.

Anyway, I am rambling. Those are my initial thoughts after playing a few games.

10. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

This game is sweet...

Yao is incredible in the post...

My gamertag on X Box Live is Drizno

If you want to join a league join up OS2K5 in the LEAGUES section of the online menu...

11. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

same thread in the hangout... much larger, go check that one out.

12. Sean Reynolds

Sean Reynolds Member

One thing that bugged me about NBA 2K5 is the fact that it's quite obvious the Toyota Center is the Compaq Center with a name change. Houston has been in their arena for a whole season, you'd think they could have at least updated it in the game.

I simulated one full season and the Jazz won the NBA Title. :D

13. themocitydon

themocitydon Member

live is better. you have just updated the rosters off the internet.

14. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

See my situation was that i was better than my roommates at ESPN. So much so that when we played, my win didnt count until i doubled their score. So this time i bought LIVE cuz they said i wouldnt be able to beat them in it because they said its a better game. Well after i bought LIVE, my roommate played ESPN and he even had to admit it was a better game this year than LIVE. So in the end i got the crappier game because of them, and i still whoop the crap out of them when we play LIVE.

Anyone know of a way i could exchange LIVE for ESPN? I guess this year ill just live with LIVE, but never again listen to my roommates.

15. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

One of the 1st things i did was get a better PG. It made the game alot easier. The computer will let you trade MoT, Sura, and a 1st round pick for Steve Nash.

16. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

is it available on pc yet and if so where can i get it online?

17. DUDE

DUDE Member

I got it from Best Buy for $14.99.. that is hard to pass up.
    The gameplay was pretty good, I was able to use the ISOMOTION button and do some nice moves (kinda lucky moves)

BUT, I decided to SIM a year in the franchise mode. Boy, that is a pain. I can not STAND the players coming and wanting to talk. The idea is cool, but to have only three choices to choose from really makes it hard to keep up team chemistry. and it drops rather quickly if you choose the wrong thing to say.
    By the way, early in the year Francis was put on the trade block by the Magic, as was Ben Wallace, and DIrk Nowitski so that kinda kills the realism also.

18. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

No kidding - try running the break with Ward - it's enough to make you check the receipt for the store's return policy.

19. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I kind of did the same thing. When I would sub at the beginning of the 2nd qtr., I would have all backups except for TMac. Man, was that hard as they would consistently double him, especially when he drove. The computer would always leave Ward open but he NEVER could hit anything. So I traded Ward, Boki & 2nd rounder to the Clippers for Marko Jaric and talk about a difference. I dare the computer to leave Jaric open now cause he hits it on a pretty consistent basis, plus he is athletic enough to run with. So, Sura is still my starter, but Jaric gets all 2nd & 4th qtr. minutes.

20. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

is this the follow up to ESPN Basketball? The one by sega? if so, i will go get it fast cuz i heard it was like 20 dollars.