1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Embiid out for second season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rlmjdime, Aug 19, 2015.

1. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

2. TheresTheDagger

Greg Oden Part 2

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Time to tank.

Oh, wait

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's a shame. I was really looking forward to seeing him in the NBA. It's really starting to look doubtful. Greg Oden Part II may be dead on.

5. Ratman

Ratman Member

Dang really wanted to see this guy play! Odd how the injuries and surgeries come right after the draft and into their nba career!

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

So remind me. What was his story before the draft? Did he have a history of foot problems and Sixers and other teams simply ignored it?

7. omgTHEpotential

That was an upside-based pick. High risk, high reward decision. Sort of how the Rockets acquired Jeremy Lin thinking that Linsanity might not have been a fluke. :grin:

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He had the first foot injury before he was drafted. It is the only reason he didn't go #1. Sixers were willing to risk it. Looks like this risk isn't going to pay dividends.

9. heypartner

Surgery was just six days before Sixers picked him

2014 NBA draft

On 9 April 2014, Embiid declared for the 2014 NBA draft, foregoing his final three years of college eligibility.[11] On 20 June 2014, he underwent surgery on a broken navicular bone in his right foot and was subsequently ruled out for four to six months.[12] Six days later, he was selected with the third overall pick by the Philadelphia 76ers.[13]

He also missed all of March Madness (Conf tourny and NCAAs)

Buyer beware, for sure. It's as if had he not declared for the draft, he may never have gotten drafted ever, certainly not that high. So, at least he cashed in for himself?!

Better than not declaring and never making any money sitting as injured-reserve for an NCAA team.

10. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Didn't they get Andre Bynum too. Being 3rd in that draft was probably the worst position to be in. A lot of season ending injuries in that draft, Parker (stud) and Randle as well. In hindsight Payton, Smart, LaVine might be better picks but not during on draft night. They must have made a deal with the devil to get Erving, Malone, Barkley, and Iverson because the payback has been a real b****.

11. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Really?

2009 / Round: 1 / Pick: 3rd overall
    Selected by the Oklahoma City Thunder

12. Rokman

Rokman Member

Terrible what these kind of deals do to a teams long-term financial situation. The unions have really screwed teams over. Only in sports can you get paid that level of money without ever being able to perform your job. It's B.S. I know there are people out there living on disability but this is ridiculous! The league ought to change what the teams are committed to on a deal like this to where if this type of situation happens, the first year only 75% is committed, the second year 50% and if a third year and the player is still incapable of playing, they can be cut with no pay.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Other teams didn't ignore it, Sixers and their FO just went full r****d. In terms of talent he was the consensus no 1 but when he had foot problems during the year and then had to shut himself down for surgery prior to the draft everyone was saying he was gonna slip big time (and rightfully so). For some reason (or probably because they wanted to tank), Sixers reached and picked him up at 3 anyway regardless of the glaring red flags. I know they did the same thing with Noel, but Noel was healthy as an ox prior to his injury and torn ACLs are pretty common and you have lots of athletes recovering 100%. OTH Embiid's injuries are reminiscent of the stuff Oden was dealing with prior to getting drafted, Sixers should have stayed well away.

@Rokman, we're talking about Embiid's rookie salary of around 3-5M...in terms of financial impact it has virtually 0 impact on the Sixer's balance sheet or capspace. As for athletes getting paid while injured that's the whole reason you have contracts in the first place wtf. For the Sixers the loss of a top 3 pick on Embiid is 100X heavier than Embiid's actual salary. If a player is not able to play for a long time IIRC the player can retire or the team can appeal and cut the guy directly due to medical reasons.

14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

So is Hinkie still considered a good GM? I fully support tanking but you have to hit on your picks to be superstars for it to work and Hinkie hasn't done that.

With likely two top five picks next year this would be my last season I would allow him to tank.

15. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

The kid has a tax free 5M personal insurance policy if he can't play after his second surgery. So he could collect 13M and never set foot on an NBA court. I'd say he could be set for the rest of his life with 13M.

I thought it was a dumb move to draft him personally, I hope the Sixers pay for their mistake.

16. heypartner

I think he meant worst for the team, not the player.

I thought oooaaah was saying, At 3, you almost have to take Embiid as a huge risk.

17. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

Millions of dollars to never play in the NBA. Some people are just born with good fortune.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Really sucks for him that he won't be able to prove himself.

But yeah - the money aspect is ludicrous.

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I think Sam Hinkie is a terrific GM, and his draft record is actually pretty good:

2013: Sam drafted Nerlens Noel at #6 and Michael Carter-Williams at #11. Both will likely outperform (or at least perform at) their draft position.

2014: Joel Embiid was a no-brainer at #3 according to seemingly every draftnik, even with the injury concerns at the time. Dario Saric would've been a top-5 caliber pick in many drafts, but Hinkie got him at #12 due to his overseas commitment, this after Sam held Orlando hostage by picking Elfrid Payton in order to trade down and get their own future first round pick back. Oh, and he got the steal of the draft in K.J. McDaniels at #32.

2015: Jahlil Okafor was another no-brainer at #3, despite the perceived glut at their big spots.

And these are (mostly) just the lottery picks he's made.

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

He's good at drafting, but it has yet to translate to anything. KJ McDaniels became a second round pick (so he pretty much broke even). MCW got sold high for that nice Lakers lottery pick. However, if things don't start to come together in two or three years, will it matter? Draft picks are great, selling high is great- we, as Rockets fans, should understand that more than anybody - but if the 76ers don't start to really make progress in the win-loss column, it won't matter.