1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets should trade this years pick for a good pick in next year's draft!

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by LiLStevie3, Jun 20, 2000.

1. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

This years draft is really deep, but doesn't contain any future big name superstars, but next year's draft is loaded with talent. You have a couple of great high school stars coming out(Eddy Curry, nicknamed baby Shaq). You also have two college big men with loads of potential in Loren Woods and Brendan Haywood. The Rockets need depth in the frontcourt, Cato and Kenny aren't going to cut it. If they go for a SF, they could go for Dermarr, but next year there is a guy by the name of Terrence Morris who has a brighter future than Dermarr. Gerald Wallace may also come out next year. There is loads of talent next year for the Rockets, so if they can somehow get next year's pick from the Clippers, they would be in good shape in a couple of years. I say this, because the Rockets don't intend on being in the lottery next year, so they won't have the chance on this top players coming into next years draft. I say they should somehow get a pick from a bad team for next year like the Warriors or Clippers. What do you guys think?

2. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Keep the (or a) pick by all means. Concensus has this draft deeper and more talented than originally judged. A steady influx of young talent is the only way to keep your club competitive-- unless you live in a marquee market like LA, Chicago, Miami or NY.

We have a shot at Alexander, Moiso, or DerMarr. Any of them make the Rockets a better team. Yahoo! I was hoping we could get Milwaukee's pick also but alas it looks unlikely.

------------------
    There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't.

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

NO ALEXANDER!!

Next year's draft is deeper, most definitely, maybe not with NBA roleplayers, but guys with Star Power.

Morris is gonna be good. That being said, hypothetically if both Morris and DJ reached their full ceiling, DJ would crush him. DJ has a much greater chance of busting, but I have faith he'll come through.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

4. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

The Rockets closed with momentum at the end of the season and the last thing they need to do is sit on their hands and stagnate waiting
    for next year's draft. Keep the pick and keep making steps forward.

Mango

------------------
    Live long and prosper.
    Donate blood!

Now...back to updating
    The Serious Police Files.

5. SlamN

SlamN Member

Haywood and Woods are not future All-Stars. Maybe Woods if he gains 20-30 pounds but definitely not Haywood. He has the body but is not real quick. The #9 pick is pretty good and we should be able to pick up a solid player.

------------------

6. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

LilStevie Wrote: " ...This years draft is really deep ..."

Your first two posts and here I come along and disagree with both of them. Sorry. No plan here to dis you or center anyone. But I have to post this ....

This years draft roster has talent to be sure, but it is not even close to the depth of previous year's offerings.(I personally thought last year was pretty poor also, but it is early.)

The fact that it may have more depth than previousily anticipated (or reported) may have more to do with the "spin" by the teams, the media and the NBA as a whole, in trying to create some excitement for The 2000 Draft. Or, it could be that the talent was not as horribly bad (".... nothing past the six spot ....." )as everyone originally thought. Who knows. The point is, that it is clearly not deep, no matter how much we want it to be.

That being said, there is some excellent talent between the one and the ten spots. But, it drastically flounders after the mid teens.

Thanks for opportunity to post, LilStevie.

------------------

7. Gideon

Gideon Member

Definitely keep this years pick. We have one coming from Detroit and the Magic, and either of them could come next year. I don't think the Magic's will be a good pick, but I think Detroit's could possibly be a good lottery pick. Besides, most of the people who fall in the lottery have the ability to be impact players. Let's draft one (Johnson, Moiso, whoever) and see how they pan out. Besides, if you are hoping to get Haywood next year, I agree with what's already been posted on this BBS and that is that Haywood isn't any better than Cato. He's a big Man with a limited range. Let's try to add to the team someone who will help get us to the playoffs. That needs to be the next step for our team. Getting playoff experience for Steve.

------------------
    He who stands for nothing will fall for anything.

8. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

No way do we trade this years #1 for next years. Who besides the Clippers do you guarantee will have one of the top 5 picks in next years draft.
    Also I can't bare another losing season. We need another young player who can make us into a competitive team next year.
    No more lottery!

------------------