1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official unofficial Josh Smith Dwight Howard campaign thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, May 6, 2013.

1. mockster

mockster Member

Alright so playoffs are going on strong right now still but Rockets are out of the loop. Let's talk about free agency rebuilding and let's think of some logical rebuilding here.

The best free agency rebuild and logical rebuild would be -JOSH SMITH AND DWIGHT HOWARD-

Why would this be the best free agency bet?. First off Dwight and Smith are friends I beleive if Houston maybe made a campaign for a Josh Smith Dwight Howard combo I think it may do a little charm for smooth n howard.

Alot of people are thinking that Dwight and Smith would be a goofy combo compared to others but actually this is the most deadliest.

Look at teams like Memphis. Marc Gasol and Zach at the 4 and 5 are awesome downlow presence. Teams these days are lacking size and big men. We would add Size and not only just size but big men who are skilled, athletic and are great at defense. Ok so I know teams like Memphis are not winning championships but do they have the youngest squad in the nba and James Harden on there team?. Not to mention Chandler Parsons at the 3 spot and J-Lin and Beverly are solid and good enough PG's.

Imagine this starting lineup

J-Lin
    James Harden
    Chandler Parsons
    Josh Smith
    Dwight Howard

As for the bench there is no guarantees for these fellas besides Beverly. I am guessing will lose most of our bench just depending on how much Howard and Smith decide to take because it's obvious if there going to be together there gonna have to take some pay cuts.

If we do end up keeping some players I think Delfino and Beverly would be some nice keepers. Also if we end up signing Smith and Howard we might be able to get some min vet signings like Marion and etc. Stars tend to bring old solid vets for min sign salary example Miami.

Josh Smith and Dwight Howard is the only logical best case scnerio we have for a run at a championship or at least a top 3 threat in the Western Conference.

So here is a rundown how they we would improve.

-Our Defense would be top notch considering Mchale is kind of already heavy in this category. We would have two great rebouders and shot blockers. They can play transition D and there big bodies in the lane are awesome. Another great thing about Howard and Smith is there athleticism. They are quiet quick and mobile compared to most big men and there fairly young if not hitting there prime. J-Lin and James Harden actually have pretty good hands on the defense of ends whether is picking passing lanes or stealing the ball straight up. Chandler Parsons does just as good as job as any other defender against All-Star players and he will be just as solid.

-Our Offense would be the best well rounded offense in the league. We would have major fastbreaks which Lin and Harden are very good at. J-Smith would fit in nicely. We got scoring on the wings, we got good passers. We got 2 down low dominate presences and with J-Smith possibly hitting jumpers mid range for a multiple threat. We got Parsons who is very well rounded.

So, let's just stop with all these Chris paul D-Howard threads and focus on something semi realistic. Obviously to get this done is not a walk in the park or even a big chance but if Rockets were serious about getting 2 more stars this would be the logical answer. If worse comes to worse Getting J-Smith or just Howard by themselves is more then a major upgrade and huge western conf threat.

As far as people saying J-Smith and Howard are basket cases. There barley any problem. Media makes a big deal out of things for the drama. Metta World peace and Cousins are basket cases but even then they never really hurt there team from winning besides 1-2 games in the season.

2. mockster

mockster Member

Also backup if rockets are serious about 2 stars backup combos would be nice such as

Paul Millsap and Dwight Howard

Josh Smith and Al Jefferson

Pau Gasol and Dwight howard

Obviously it's not the 2 all star combo we wanted but if Josh Smith and Dwight Howard fails what options do you have.

3. RocketPowerNick

It's a nice pipe dream, but I'd rather keep Asik and spend on a top PF (like Smith) and more depth.

4. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

I actually like the idea. Smoove can still (somewhat) space. Teams will be afraid to leave him completely open, even if his jumper can be shaky. Even Dwight taking but one step out the post would give Harden enough space to work. Then, if bugs come to stop the open layup, he could give it off to Dwight for a wide open dunk. Fast breaks would be amazing.

Everyone should tweet Morey a hashtag for this: #dwightsmoovehtown

5. mockster

mockster Member

@RocketPowerNick, It's a somewhat a pipe dream but I don't think it's as far fetched as it may seem. If I told you couple years back lebron and bosh were joining wade in miami you would laugh and this is no where as big of as a deal as that. I like the idea of Rockets going "BIG" downlow as I said even if worst comes to worse and we just end up signing Josh Smith. I like Smith and Asik downlow. The size is what will make us win because we already got the perfect Sg and sf and good enough PG.

@RedDynasty Thanks and that would be nice idea hastagging that I think I may start

1 person likes this.
  6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I prefer Paul Millsap Dwight Howard

7. Swishh

Swishh Member

a little off topic, but can someone explain how someone who just registered has access to make threads but some people who have been here for a few months like me have never been given access?

8. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Psh.. Imagine THIS starting line-up man

Beverly
    James Harden
    Chandler Parsons
    Josh Smith
    Dwight Howard

;O

9. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Most logical rebuild is Chris Paul and Josh Smith

Best PG and top 3 SG, Top 10 SF, PF and C

10. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

So we get worse at the PG position? :rolleyes:

I'm in fully agreement with you, mockster. That's the big 3 I'd love to see: Harden, Howard, and Smith. We'd have arguably the best defensive frontcourt in the entire league. Howard and Smith both can run the floor and actually catch the passes thrown to them. Howard is a defensive anchor with some offensive game, while Smith can stretch the 4 and run in for a posterization. Lin just needs to feed them the ball and be able to knock down the 3. Harden....well, he's the top SG in the game. :grin:

If we sign Howard, can we S&T for Smith using Asik, T-Rob and assets?

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Dwight, Paul, Smith, Milsap, Gasol, Jefferson... I'd be happy with any of them...in that order. Also im calling it first, keep an eye out for Dcousins this summer and at next seasons trade deadline. He's a free agent next summer, and with the attitude/kings to seatle ordeals, things might get messy. Greg Monroe also a free agent next summer, i haven't herd on thing that would indicate him leaving but he is on the pistons. Last but not least don't forget we might make a run a bynum.

So, if we make any moves for impact players, that was my list. If morey pulls somebody else out of his hat this summer like he always does i think ill finally give up on spectation of who me might go after. lol

12. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

This.

13. The Stig

The Stig Member

#lebron2houston

Wait what?

Paul and Howard should be our primary objectives.

14. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Yay another smith/Howard thread! I'm just going to patiently wait until I see what Morey has in store for us

15. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Since we are talking about pipe dreams. Why not get a 3 team deal where Dwight goes to the bulls and Noah comes to Rox.

Then we trade for Horford instead of Smith. Horford and Noah is a proven winning combo.

16. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Great post mockster. Some people are dismissing this as a pipe dream but it is far more likely than people give it credit. I think Dwight is 50/50 chance to come to Houston.

One thing I disagree with you on is resigning Delfino. His injury will keep him out 4-6 months and is the same as what ended Yao's career. I love Delfino but the Rockets have to make a decision on him in June and I think they just can't bring him back under those conditions.

17. mockster

mockster Member

Thanks Firebomb525 and Fair Dinkum for agreeing with me.

I don't really understand how this is a so called pipe dream?. *Also I love the guy that yelled out pipe dream and said we should get Chris paul and Dwight Howard*

If this is a pipe dream then the Rockets lied to our faces. The rockets specifically said were going after 2 more stars and were going to do it soon. Going based on that comment I picked the most logical free agents. I never said it was a homerun and also viewed different opinions.

Why is J-Smith and Howard more logical then other free agents let me explain further detail.

1. Josh Smith and Dwight Howard are good friends. Targeting them in a campaign to acquire both is sure to raise eyebrows between them. On top of that they might actually be happy playing together which means good chemistry and seeing as Rockets Have a good squad hope in there hearts they can actually get something done in H-Town.

2. Rockets are only just of a few teams with cap space this season, we have a ton of more freedom then most teams. Obviously they will have to take pay cuts just like D-Wade and Lebron did but considering they are friends and it will be potential huge threat in the Western Conference kind of seems to make the money thing not as big as a deal.

3. We have James Harden and Daryl Morey. Daryl is an awesome guy. Even though some of his past deals have gone to crap only because of bad luck and injuries he really get's things done. We have James Harden a good selling point to any player a top 3 SG that isn't Kobe Bryant and isn't 30 years old. James Harden is already top 3 SG and is an awesome player who can only improve. Any player is going to raise eyebrows.

5. Rockets are the youngest team in the nba this is their first year together, they made it to the playoffs and gave OKC a hard time and even had potential to win the series considering 2 games were real close. I mean that's impressive. I even think with the same squad Rockets could be even better and win a playoff series or two. Players are looking at this and going wow this is a team this young and already doing work that means we got young players who are good who are going to be in the league a while.

Fact of the matter is Josh Smith and Dwight Howard is the most logical first choice. Chris Paul is not what we need and I am 80 percent sure we won't even waste our breathe on him because he is not going to fix anything. We need to go big and I was open minded around other idea's but this is best case scenario that I mentioned and I was clear it wouldn't be easy but it's not far fetched at all. We need to go "BIG" and this would be the ultimate big for us. We got the PG, SG and SF covered as far as main squad. Lin and Beverly are quite capable and good enough for our needs and will always improve because of there youth.

The fact of the matter is our main targets are Josh Smith and Dwight Howard that is a given and we need to go for both. We need to take advantage of their friendship and high profiles because were one of the few teams that can offer them the most money *together* with a good squad on top of that. I mean that's like the icing on the cake.

Think about it Hmm Play with my good friend Josh Smith in Houston, only 3 other teams can offer me just as much if me and smith go there but then Houston already has a playoff squad, Youngest team in nba and a superstar. Hmmm What would be more logically here.

18. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

i would honestly take chris paul and josh smith.. we already have a center... although he is no dwight howard

19. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Dat defense doe

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Lin is not better than Beverley that's just apparent screw numbers during the season rockets are in championship mode now not marketing mode.