1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Houston Dynamo / MLS Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Beavis Stiffler, Jan 11, 2014.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I agree with you... they wouldn't. But I think I was asking about a different fanbase, a new one, mind you. I think you're talking about die-hard fans of one team to like their rival's name in another country, and I don't think that will happen, man. You're right, they wouldn't... but if they DIDN'T have a team already, and needed a home team, I think they would.

I'm a die-hard América fan and it's not that I hate Chivas USA, but if that was in Houston, I'd root for them. On the other hand, if either one of those comes to play the Dynamo, I'm not going to root for them. I see your point, but I was talking about "Mexican" or "Mexican-Americans" without a team(or just the one that don't hate Chivas). :cool:

2. Beavis Stiffler

^How about calling it "El Tri USA"

That's a better name. Mexican-Americans and Mexican-born people will embrace it.

3. SwoLy-D

LOLs. :grin:

Love it.

[​IMG]

4. shsu33

shsu33 Member

After living in Orlando I have to disagree. The Orlando area is booming, I was there for their new downtown soccer specific stadium announcement and there was a huge Orlando City Lions soccer crowd around city hall. New stadium will be right next to the only 4 season old Magic stadium which is awesome.
    Many of my friends from there are still pissed MLB picked Tampa Bay (actually St. Petersburgh) over them and with the Rays bad attendance in crappy stadium, they look to be vindicated. Since the Marlins chose the Miami title over Florida, my Orlando buddies are hoping they can get the Rays franchise to move there and name them Florida Rays. Not Rays as the marine creature but as sun rays you get from being in the sunshine state.
    The city is spending the money to upgrade & renovate their close to downtown football stadium, Citrus Bowl, that doesn't even house a college team. They just want college football playoff games and maybe the preseason neutral site games that are getting popular. UCF fills its 40k stadium near Winter Park as well.
    Point is, Orlando is a safe bet, their demographics are almost perfect for both soccer & baseball and more importantly they would support it. I get that other than NFL & NBA the state of Florida hasn't supported its franchises that well but Orlando hasn't really had an opportunity outside of Magic which does well. You could safely move the Lightning and Bucs there as well but they actually draw well in TB, the Forida Rays in Orlando is a great idea though.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Thanks for the info, fellow Bearkat. I guess we shall see how it works out. You have your center mid and now a goalie. Hope it works out there but I'm still a skeptic.

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. leroy

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Oh God. That guy from Cardiff city?

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Figured I'd ask this here...

I need some recommendations for some good soccer trading cards...which specific brands and collections out there are the best? Worst? Mid level?

I want to buy a a couple boxes for my nephew. He's young, so the mid level may be best, for now. Thanks, in advance.

10. Beavis Stiffler

I can only think of Topps and Panini. They have trading cards from the FIFA World Cup, English Premier League, La Liga (Spain), MLS, and Liga MX.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Rio Ferdinand looking to move to the MLS, exactly the type of player the Dynamo need

but probably won't spend the money

12. Beavis Stiffler

Any chance on Jozy Altidore in the winter transfer window or maybe in the summer transfer?

13. leroy

Most rumors have him either returning to the Eredivise or possibly to France (Lille was hot on him over the summer). Highly unlikely he'd move back to the U.S. right now.

There are rumors that Mix Diskeruud might be looking to leave Roseborg and could be keen on coming to the U.S. I'd absolutely love him in that central attacking mid role.

14. Beavis Stiffler

http://www.woai.com/articles/woai-local-news-sponsored-by-five-119078/big-league-soccer-on-the-agenda-12927000/#ixzz3I3baSHZW

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Awesome, yet another team that would have better ownership than the Dynamo.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Down to 3-5 candidates per Mark Berman.

In other news, they just hired a GM.

[rQUOTEr]Houston Dynamo announce Matt Jordan as Vice President/General Manager

The Houston Dynamo today announced the appointment of Matt Jordan as vice president/general manager to oversee soccer operations and the technical areas of the club.

Jordan joins the Dynamo after four seasons with the technical staff of the Montreal Impact, most recently serving the role of technical director. The 39-year-old enjoyed a 13-year professional career highlighted by eight years in Major League Soccer as well as time in the Danish Superliga and North American Soccer League. The Clemson University product was a two-time All-American, an MLS All-Star and finalist for Goalkeeper of the Year in 1999 with the Dallas Burn.

“I am pleased to be adding one of the brightest young technical minds in Major League Soccer to our staff,” said Dynamo president Chris Canetti. “Matt is hard working, experienced, intelligent, passionate, and committed to winning. I am confident that he is going to elevate our club’s technical operations to a higher level.”

With Montreal, Jordan’s duties included all areas related to the soccer operations, including contract negotiations, player scouting, strategic planning, salary cap management and technical operations budget. During his stint with the Impact, Jordan was involved in the process of signing several notable foreign players including Italians Marco Di Vaio and Alessandro Nesta and Argentine midfielders Ignacio Piatti, Hernan Bernardello and Andres Romero. Jordan also led the initiative to launch a new USL Pro franchise under Impact management, FC Montreal, for the 2015 season.

“I'd like to thank the Houston Dynamo for the opportunity to join one of Major League Soccer's most successful clubs,” said Jordan. “The Dynamo have a strong history of success, a dedicated and knowledgeable fan base, a beautiful, state-of-the art downtown stadium, an excellent training facility and a strong commitment to youth development, all key elements as we look to implement our vision into the future. I look forward to working with Chris Canetti and his dedicated staff, whose passion is evident throughout the club. We look forward to the challenge of putting a team on the field and in the community that the city of Houston can not only be proud of, but that is also a reflection of our dedicated supporters.”

Jordan will report to team president Chris Canetti. He will oversee all aspects of the soccer operations, including the establishment of a club vision, the creation of a worldwide scouting network, the development of a sports science program, the integration of data analytics, management of the team’s salary cap and contract negotiations, and the addition of a USL Pro franchise.

Jordan was offered a position with the Impact’s technical staff upon retirement as a player in 2011 after four years with the club to help Montreal’s successful transition from the NASL to MLS. Montreal won 12 games in its inaugural season, the most by an MLS expansion team since Seattle (12) in 2009. The Impact totaled 49 points in 2012, the most by a Canadian club until Vancouver this season. Jordan helped guide the Impact to the MLS Cup Playoffs in 2013 as well as two Amway Canadian Championships (2013, 2014) and two appearances in the CONCACAF Champions League, including advancement to the quarterfinals of the 2014-15 edition.

The Aurora, Colo. native’s playing career included stops with the Dallas Burn (1998-2002), Columbus Crew (2004-05) and Colorado Rapids (2006) in MLS, Odense BK in the Danish Superliga (2003-04) and with the Montreal Impact (2007-10).

Jordan earned a degree in marketing and a minor in sports marketing from Clemson University.[/rQUOTEr]

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think I'd be pretty surprised if the coach isn't Wade Barrett or maybe Paul Dalglish

18. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

You're having a laugh right?
    I love Rio. There is no bigger Rio fan in the world than me and there hasn't been any since his West Ham days except his family and close friends imo but no. The Dynamo don't need Rio. They need an experienced defender who can give them more than 2 or 3 years before retirement. Rio can't do that. Then we get to ability on the field too.

Or Spenny. But I think you're right, It'll probably be Wade. Paul would be interesting, isn't he still coaching in Austin?
    I just figure given Spencers history with Dom and the team, Canetti will have him in consideration.

19. Beavis Stiffler

20. SwoLy-D

Just get someone with REAL coaching experience and a proven coach... F#(@$* these experiments. :eek: