1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to shut Harden down for the rest of the season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Mar 23, 2016.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Though I'm not cheering for this team one way or the other at the moment, pulling for them to make the playoffs shouldn't be mind boggling at all. The chances of this team drafting or using that pick to gain anything of value are just as slim as the team's chances of making a deep playoff run.

This is a lose-lose scenario. So we all get to stand at the window and watch others eat huge steaks at Del Frisco's or we can stand and watch them eat at Pappas Bros, either way we ain't getting none and we're going home with our stomachs growling.

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Exactly

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This year, I'm not so sure.

There's definitely a lot of value in not making the playoffs and getting a lotto pick. And heck... there IS a CHANCE that lotto pick could be top 3 via it being a lotto.

That said, a playoffs where Clint gets more experience, where Ariza can show he's a valued player, where we can see Beasley a bit more... might be useful.

Because it might increase Clint and Ariza's trade value... and at least keeps a little playoff momentum going. Consider that although they didn't take a step backwards like the Rockets have, the Warriors went 2nd round, then first round loss, then new coach and championship. The Spurs have had first round exits, etc.

There is "something" about playoff momentum.... where it makes some sense to proceed. Moreover, there is no way this team just decides right now to tank anyway, so its a useless argument. Also while the immediate upcoming schedule isn't easy, the last 4 games of the year are Suns, Lakers, TWolves, Kings.

I think the best thing is that the next 6 games will decide it for you. Raptors, Pacers, Cavs, Bulls, Thunder, Mavs. 1-6 or 2-5... with one of the losses against the Mavs... might decide it for you.

Still, if they are 2, or even 3 games out, with 4 to go, and decided to sit Harden and Dwight, when mathematically they are still in it, that'd be an interesting message they'd be sending their players, fans and league.

The Jazz have some tough games, but they're mixed in with easier games. Tough game, easy game, tough game, easy game type thing. The Mavs play the Warriors next, but then the Kings, Nuggets, Knicks, Pistons, TWolves and Rockets.

The likely scenario is they are 1/2 games behind the Jazz for 8th with 4 games left, against teams they can beat.

If I'm a betting man, I bet they miss the playoffs. Hopefully if that happens the Pistons Bulls and Wizards continue to win, so the 9th seed in the West gets the 12th pick. 12th pick has about 50% higher odds than the 14th pick to get a top 3 via lotto.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I hear you overall, but the quoted equivalence is where I fundamentally disagree with some of you.

I think we have zero chance at a deep playoff run. Last year's deep playoff run came from a great season and the 2 seed. It still surprised people, given our gimmicky system. Now we would be a low seed, playing poorly, with our "system" in shambles, with Harden hobbled. Good lord. That is a zero % chance of a deep playoff run.

A middling first round pick could easily be low value, but at least you could package it with a player and move up in the draft, etc, etc. Even if it's a 3% chance of something good, that's orders of magnitude better odds than our team advancing in the playoffs this year.

Just how I see it, but yeah, probably a lost cause either way. In your way of viewing things, I guess we have to view the Harden Howard project a failure and get ready for the nasty next phase, probably a few more frustrating years, at least.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There is some hard data that shows the worthwhile FAs usually stay put or move to a playoff team. The rich get richer is usually the way FAncy works.

Besides, if you really want a 1st round pick, a good playoff performance by Beasley will be worth a lot in draft-day trade at his price. Or DMo. Or Capela. There is a ton of "hard data" that shows just one or two eye-opening games by a role player in the playoffs increases value in trade to the point of overvaluing them (for a brief period of time).

But, you don't want to increase the value of those assets via playoffs. It can't possibly be worth the value of a 12th pick, right?

You will never convince me playoffs have no value.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's best for the Rockets to try their best to make the playoff and see how exactly they do in the playoff. After all, the whole purpose of the regular season is to make the playoff and it's the playoff that count. If the Rocket give up now, they can still have a mindset that they just didn't gel, but that they still have plenty to make a playoff run. That mindset should be obliterated and set to rest with how they actually perform in the playoff.

7. B-Bob

I really like your way of seeing this and agree on the next 6 games. Also the value of playoffs to some of our younger players and more important assets. I guess, as an emotional Rockets fan, I just hate to see the torture prolonged, but if it could create some good for some of the players, so be it.

heypartner, not trying to convince you of anything. And all of our opinions are irrelevant. The team is clearly going to kind of sort of, in its shambling way, "try" to make the playoffs. We'll see how it goes.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I know. Likewise. Fun to share takes with you in the GARM. But if you *ever* disagree with me in D&D, don't bother talking to me, again.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Clint Capela is exactly the type of player that could have a really good playoffs and someone overpay for him in a trade.

Granted, if he has a really good playoffs, especially with the intending Dwight departure and Clint's cap hit/salary, the Rockets will probably want to keep him.

But if Ariza (who would be tradeable by virtue of signing a Durant, or a Nicolas Batum) could be trade bait, and including Clint gets you back an all-star, that's great.

10. R=$

R=$ Member

Harden is going through his , " does - not-play-well - with - others " stage. Hopefully he grows out of it soon! :rolleyes:

11. B-Bob

Deal! :grin:

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Might as well rest all of them. Forfeit the remainder of the season.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A first round pick that is 10 or later is not that valuable for at least 2 to 3 years.

DD

14. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i'd rather us sit dwight.

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Again 9.5 assists per game this month. What games are some of you watching?