1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight update: Not close to a trade with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t0mdotcom, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Sounds great! That means we are the best option for the Magic but they are desperately looking for better offers. The Magic will not allow the ESPN circus to come to town. Dwight will be gone before August.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think at this point, i'd take a bird in the hand over 2 in the bush. No one really knows what Howard is gonna do next offseason. If the younger Bynum is willing to sign long term in Houston (he has family in Houston), a 24/25 year old Lin/Bynum combo to build around is something to get excited about. Add another max free agent and fill in the rest with talent ...we'll be contending two years from now (when Lin and Bynum are just starting to hit their best years). I just don't see anyone, other than Miami, LA, and OKC contending over the next two years.

only problem is making the lakers better. don't like that. but if Orlando decides that they will either trade with LA directly for bynum, or do a 3-way; Houston should get in on that action and pick up a franchise center.

3. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Jeremy Lin is a good PG , but not big 3 material. Especially if we are going to be competing with OKC, miami, etc.

4. JD88

JD88 Member

I think Lin/Smith/Howard > Westbrook/Harden/Durant

5. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

185 million guaranteed, almost 250 million with the incentives over ten years. He also is in a large basketball market. On the other hand Howard got a little less in a contract with Addidas a 36 million in smaller market Orlando. Howrars contract ends this year so he could get an Addidas contract roughly the same as Rose if he were to play in NY or LA, not in Houston. Think in basic terms and remember it's always about the money. If you could get 200-250 million on a ten year contract with Addidas if you played in New York or Los Angeles and only around 100 with playing in Houston.

Are you going to leave that much on the table? Just for the extra money your team can give you with the bird rights? It's not chump change, but it's not 100 mill either.

Compare it with this. T-Mac had and has an Addidas contract also. He had a six year 12 million deal. When that contract was up he got a lifetime contract that simply paid him royalties for every shoe and sports gear that was sold under his name for the rest of his life. It was in T-Macs best interest to be in Houston because of the China was a new and growing market at the time. Hence he wanted to go where the money was which was

6. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

LOL. Dude we dont have any single one of the 3 on our roster yet. And you are starting to compare them to the WC champs?

7. JD88

JD88 Member

Smiths 19,10,4 + Howard's 21,15, plus that kind of tandem defending the paint is better than westbrook and Durant IMO.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

1. Birds rights contracts multiplied adds up to $57 million over 10 years....and possibly even more. That's the conservative value.

2. It's not like Dwight doesn't have leverage. What's Adidas going to do if Dwight decides to shop for another shoe company?

3. The Chinese market with Yao and now Lin is .......HUUUUUUUGE!

9. JD88

JD88 Member

Dude, the argument was Lin couldn't be part of a big 3 to compete against OKC or MIA big 3.

Keep up...

10. Toast

Toast Member

What a maroon. Hey David Alridge, NOTHING WILL HAPPEN 'TIL AFTER THE 17TH.

We need to figure out what's going on with the offer sheets before we can do the Dwight deal. Dwight's still in Orlando? Surprise! :rolleyes:

11. Hak34

Hak34 Member

Yes I did. Problem is he is using current talent that it is yet to be seen if they win any championships. Also he is using his "own" select group of so called elite draftee's. Is he including Hardin or Westbrook? How about Kyrie Irving, John Wall, Blake Griffin. The book is still out on a lot of current talent.

You could say that from 1980 top five drafted players led to

Magic 5 titles
    Bird 3 titles
    Jordan 6 titles
    Duncan 4 titles
    Hakeem 2 titles
    Shaq 4 titles
    Wade 2 titles
    Lebron 1 title
    Robinson 1 title
    Isiah Thomas 2 titles
    Chauncy Billups 1 title

This represents every single championship from 1980 to 2007 except 2003 when Dr J and Moses Malone (two ABA products so not really a way to include them) won a title.

When you look at it that way Id say its a definate recipe for winning. Of those listed above Jordan, Magic, Bird, Duncan, Hakeem, Wade, Robinson, Thomas all won their titles with their drafting teams. Thats 25 titles with only Robinsons single title crossing into Tim Duncans titles and one of Wades titles crossing into Lebrons years.

So realitically you could say. A team that drafted top three in the draft had a player go on to win a title 25 times out of about 30 years.

12. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

This is sig worthy.....horrible post

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The yang of your point here (which is valid), is that between 1980 and 2007, there were 135 players taken in the top 5. So, what that means is there is a 92% chance that if you draft top 5, you will never win a championship.

The bottom line is to win a championship or championships, you have to have the best player or a couple of the best players in the league paired up together. So, the reality is when you have a chance to acquire that player, you have to take it.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It really changes nothing. Here's what we can be sure about:

1. Dwight will not be in a Magic uniform by the time the season starts. What on earth would that accomplish? Right now their #1 goal is to tank the coming year and rebuild as fast as possible. Dwight on their team completely defies that mission, so they can't let him see a single minute out there.

2. Orlando in trying to trade Dwight is looking for young assets. Picks > young established stars with at least two years of control left in their contracts > rookies with high upside > expiring contracts. You know what is worthless to them? Star veterans or young stars on the cusp who are about to hit a huge payday and cannot be guaranteed to stay on for more than a year.

3. The Lakers' ONLY, ONLY, ONLY asset for trading to upgrade at this point is Andrew Bynum. Bynum will not commit to an extension anywhere he goes because he loses money that way. The Orlando Magic therefore do not want Bynum and must get their assets in any trade involving Dwight to LA from some other teams.

OK. And then here are some things we can be LESS certain about but still think to be true:

1. The Rockets are chalk full of future draft picks (two firsts and two seconds that are tradeable, considering we can't trade our own first rounder until 2015), young players (six drafted in the past two years who will be on our roster if no more trades are made), and one big expiring contract (Kevin Martin).

2. Although it's uncertain whether other teams could beat our offer for Dwight, it is certain that other teams would have to sacrifice proven young stars to do so. Although a high lottery pick is most valuable, I just don't see a bottom-dweller like Charlotte or Washington or Cleveland giving up its future first round pick for a one-year rental of Dwight. So that means that pundits out there who are racking their brains trying to find an alternative to Houston because they hate us so much are having to include names like Al Horford or Stephon Curry in any trade negotiations. Again, color me unimpressed. Why does a bad team agree to trade its future star for a one-year rental?

3. You could ask the same question to the Rockets: aren't we also a bad team trying to get a one-year rental? What makes us different? For a while, my answer was, "Nothing", and I was opposed to any Dwight trades. Unfortunately, however, I've come around. Part of it is due to how our roster has been constructed entirely around making a blockbuster deal. We have a LOT of nice young players with upside unknown, but we can virtually guarantee that most of them won't reach their upside if they have to deal with such huge position logjams as we currently have. So a 3-for-1 or 5-for-3 move is in the best interests of our prospect development program as well. Second, we honestly believe that an acquisition of Dwight Howard would not constitute a one-year rental, in our case.

Argument A: "He might come around." No state income tax. Low cost of living. Lots of NBA players like it here. Big Man Central. Breakfast Klub. Hakeem Olajuwon and Yao Ming in a hottub. He just needs to get his ass in the water and he'll find out it's not so cold. Although in Galveston it's also brown and grimy.

Argument B: "Our front office will know what to do once we get him" We've got the best management for building around a superstar. Morey has proven that he's a master scout at finding bargain bin talents who would valiantly support the championship efforts of any superstar who would happen to be on our roster. Aaron Brooks. Carl Landry. Luis Scola. Von Wafer. Courtney Lee. Kyle Lowry. Patrick Patterson. Goran Dragic. At the day of the press conference where we show Dwight and his jersey off, Morey will go up to Dwight and say, "Don't worry, bro. I got this s***." Additional--because of our nice cap situation right now, a potential acquisition of Dwight opens the door for Big Star #2 to sign outright with us the following summer. I'm no capologist but I'm going to keep telling myself this can happen until someone corrects me.

Argument C: "We've got D-Ho by the balls." Where is he gonna go? Where the hell, is he gonna go? He's stuck. His agent, his posse, his mommy and his daddy, his AAU coach, his shoe company runner, and his high school buddy doubling as his manager all gave him bad advice. Is he gonna shoot his hand to spite his arm? No team currently competing for a title has cap space. They're all taxed out. We will not (and now because of the CBA CAN NOT) sign and trade his max deal to a contender. So what's he left with. Go ahead. Go sign with Dallas or Atlanta then. Lose 30 million, and even hurt your chances at another championship while you're at it. All us Rockets fans hope it doesn't get to this point, but sometimes fear is the most powerful motivator.

So that's where it stands. Morey knows this, he probably even walked the Magic GM through it once or twice. So, while politely parting, he reiterates: "Give me a week or two to sort out these RFA's. It'll be a good breath of fresh air for you. Think about it again. And when I come back and give you a call next time, maybe you'll be of a better mind to do business. OK?" before hanging up. The Magic GM then makes a call over to his pharmacist for a refill on his imipramine. Perhaps he won't wet the bed tonight. He can only hope.

1 person likes this.
  16. JD88

JD88 Member

Make it your sig, then if we happen to land all 3, we shall see.

Westbrook not being able to drive, Durant not grabbing rebounds, Harden not... Well not doing much of anything.

I'm not only looking at the stupid inside presence on offense (41ppg between the two) or the rebounding advantage (25rpg between the two) but the fact that both usually make first or second team all NBA almost every year.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jordan Schultz ‏@206Child
    A source close to Dwight Howard tells me that Dwight is fully prepared to sit out the entire 2012-13 season in Orlando.

Not sure if srs
    Not sure if crdbl

18. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

i think magic will wait till summer league is over to evaluate our rookie's better and hand pick who they want.. plus the asik and lin stuff has to play out..

only ones in a hurry here is us.. magic can move him whenever they want and know the rockets will wait because Morey wants a star..

19. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

If true...you guys want this guy? That's just crazy..he's not worth it

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

if this is true Morey wins again. Hennigan will be fired before even finishes a season. He's lost leverage every month of this dilemma.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.