1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets after Greg Monroe?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

Not sure if this is legit or not but I definitely would welcome this move.<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>SOURCE: Detroit Pistons are actively working the phone lines. Looking to work a sign &amp; trade w Greg Monroe. Pelicans &amp; Rockets in the hunt.</p>&mdash; DYST Now (@DYST_Now) <a href="https://twitter.com/DYST_Now/statuses/488702197719658496">July 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Why would the Pelicans be after him after getting Asik and having Davis?!?

3. thejav

thejav Member

he would be a good backup for dwight..

4. bmd

bmd Member

Why in the world would the Pelicans be looking to trade for Greg Monroe?

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

First, I'm pretty sure that NYDN just throws stuff on the wall hoping something sticks.

Second, we may help facilitate a deal for Monroe, but we certainly won't acquire him. He would be a terrible fit with Dwight.

6. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

Could it be they want him as a backup to Davis or Asik? Isn't Jason Smith a free agent?

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

Sorry, DYST, not NYDN. Got my acronyms all mixed up.

8. vator

vator Contributing Member

I wonder if Josh Smith would actually be a better fit. Josh Smith is more athletic and plays defense. Just keep him away from the 3 point line.

9. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

Why Greg Monroe? He doesn't really space the floor and I thought that's what the Rockets were going for.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

1. If you're not sure a source is legit, then it's probably not.
    2. If Morey didn't believe Parsons was a third piece, I doubt he believes Greg Monroe is. (And same for Josh Smith. For the love of heaven and earth, stop the Josh Smith talk.)

11. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Which cannot be done!

12. vator

I don't love the idea of Josh Smith either, but that was when I thought we were going for the 2015 free agency plan. That is pretty much out the window now in my opinion. Smith is a better player than Chandler Parsons in my opinion other than 3 point shooting. His advanced stats are far superior. He'd be an upgrade. We'd have 4 plus defenders in the starting lineup.

13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Morey would encourage him to shoot more threes especially at the 4. we know how he loves his stretch 4's.

14. BinBinRingRing

If true Rockets will so dominate the paint.

15. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I don't know about his jump shot. I've only seen him shoot just a little. I will say this though the dude can make plays on the break and on the defensive end.

16. vator

Jones only hit at a 30% clip and he did very well offensively. I'm sure if he can figure it out, Smith could. I definitely think we need a stretch 4 on the roster too, but McBob, Frye and Patterson are all off the market now.

17. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Terrible midrange percentage, he's basically only efficient in the paint and close to the basket. Would be a terrible fit next to Dwight. Also slow on his feet.

19. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

A legit starting 4 and backup 5, people that like Millsap would also like Monroe.

20. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I have been watching his youtube tape and it looks like he has vastly improved with his midrange game and footwork.