1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Dragic Hopes For Return To Rockets, Wants To Be Starter"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by QazQay, Jun 21, 2012.

1. QazQay

QazQay Member

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...ragic-steve-nash-houston-rockets-phoenix-suns

"Goran Dragic, set to enter unrestricted free agency, would prefer to return to Houston.

“That is what I would want to have,” Dragic said. “I really like the Rockets, it is a great organization. I really liked playing for Kevin McHale. He’s a great coach, great guy. He was a player so he has had a lot of experience. He helped a lot with me this season, taught me how to run a team. I hope that in the future, I am still going to be with him.”

Dragic wants to be the Rockets’ starting point guard, a role he filled ably when Kyle Lowry was hospitalized with a stomach virus.

“Definitely, I want to be a starter in the NBA,” Dragic said. “I think I showed I can do it. I am really happy I got the opportunity to show what I can do and that I belong here. Still, you know, hopefully next year I am going to run the team. I know I can be a first point guard – it is something I can do"

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is why Lowry is gone on draft night, because I don't think Dragic will sign until he is gone.

DD

3. Classic

Classic Member

I'm over Lowry. Like him, but ready to hand the ship over to Dragic.

4. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

True, he won't sign here if a team like Portland is offering him a starting position with the same pay. I think trading Lowry is the first step to getting Dragic to re-sign with the Rockets. It will show other teams the Rockets are committed to him and we will pay whatever it takes. The Rockets have cap space so they're not a team other teams in the league want to mess with.

Finding someone who will trade close to Lowry's value when Dragic is an UFA will be a challenge. I think other teams know the Rockets situation and that both players want to start.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i think they are both really good players, but Dragic + Lowry trade return > unhappy Lowry.

6. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I knew you'd be the first comment.:p

7. anchel

anchel Member

I still prefer Lowry over Goran, of course ecognizing that the best chance to improve the team is moving Kyle. All said, if we start next year with Kyle being our starting PG (that means we let Goran go for free), I won't be pissed off or something. You could use that cap space to sign another good player for a different position.

8. amaru

amaru Member

Doesn't really matter too much.....neither player is going to get this team out of mediocrity.

But.....I think Dragic probably gets the nod.

9. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

THIS IS WHY KEVIN MCHALE IS ESSENTIAL AS A COACH!!! trollolol. Dragic : McHale :: Martin : Adelman

10. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Goran>Kyle.

All day.

Next topic.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Goran hopes to get paid, wants to start on any team.

12. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

This is great to hear from Gogi! Surely hope we could sign him and be our starting point guard for years to come. He definitely loves the Rockets.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I vote Dragic over Lowry.

According to ESPN, in 28 games as a starter, he averaged: 36 minutes, 18 points, 8.4 assists, 3.5 rebounds, 1.8 steals, shooting 49% overall and 38% from three. Also 3.2 turnovers.

Lowry, in 38 games as a starter, averaged: 15.9 points, 7.2 assists, 5.3 rebounds, 1.8 steals, shooting 42% overall and 39% from three. Also 3.2 turnovers.

They both got to the line about the same number of times a game. Lowry is obviously a better rebounder, but Goran is a better playmaker and more efficient scorer. People may point the the Rockets constant switching out. I view it as upgrading.

In 2009-10, AB was our starter all season and averaged: 19.6 points, 5.3 assists, 2.6 rebounds, 0.8 steals, shooting 43% overall and 40% from three. 2.8 turnovers.

AB was a dynamic scorer, no doubt, but less of a playmaker, a worse defender and still not particularly efficient. Maybe Goran's sample size is too small. Certainly a possibility. But if we could keep him as the starter and get something of value for Lowry, that'd be fantastic.

1 person likes this.
  14. CertifiedTroll

I pray this is true, and he will be reasonable in his bargaining. But although the situation is bitter, this kinda sweetens it.

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

but I thought no one wanted to play for a team run by cheapskate Morey and coached by mcfail?

16. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Wait!!! Nobody wants to play here because we treat our players like assets!!!

17. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Trade Lowry, Patterson, Morris and the 14th to Kings for Evans, Garcia, 5th. Draft Beal. Draft Teague with the 16th. BOOM.

Dragic/Teague
    Martin/Beal
    Parsons/Bud
    Scola/Donuts
    Camby/not Dalembert

Or, of course, find some way to acquire Thomas Robinson AND trade Lowry. That'd be beautiful. And lovely. And ideal... and beautiful.

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

But he prefers the Rockets!

19. Mariachi ROCKET

Lets give him a Rashard Lewis contract :))

20. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

The team always looked to just run better with Dragic. I felt like other players became more efficient. Does that mean Dragic > Lowry as a player....on this team and the style McHale wants. Yes.

1 person likes this.