1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

We HAVE to develop Steve Novak

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by flamingdts, May 5, 2008.

1. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

After watching Novak play this season and some of his college Highlights. We really need to develop Novak. He is like a taller version of Steve Kerr. He has such a accurate quick release, and has the ability to shoot off balance jumpers yet they are still really accurate.

Novak only needs to improve on his defense and his strength and he is good to go isn't he? His shooting is too good to be wasted. Also, his style fits Adelman's system perfectly. Adelman's kings never had size and strength. It was all a pass and pass then shoot style offense. Novak is a fast, tall player with a very good shooting stroke, which fits Adelman's system well.

Anyone think Novak will finally crack the rotation next year? He is our only consistent and reliable 3 PT shooter.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p85vUMWtMz0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p85vUMWtMz0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Don't most people use digital cameras now??

3. poprocks

poprocks Member

You know if he came off that baseline reverse screen the same way Reggie Miller did, he could be very dangerous.

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

if novak develop into a kyle korver type of player, we'd be a very very dangerous team.

then if you add a mike miller to that group, it's a wrap.

5. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

he's the real deal.

6. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

LOL!!!! Good one!

But yeah- if they keep him they need to bulk him up and give him whey protein... i think aaron brooks could beat him up right now.

7. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

I don't think it's a lock that Novak even makes this team next year. He should, but he's not getting the love from the coaching staff the way that Luther and Hayes have gotten. They clearly don't deserve any more time than Novak, but continue to get it. I could easily see him not being here next year.

8. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MNgpXz2JyUY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MNgpXz2JyUY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Yea, Novak needs to get some time. He's way to good of a shooter not to. I mean, Peja, Kapono, Korver, etc. are great defenders either, but they play.

He also has an advantage on most small forwards being 6-10.

Like the second play in the video above, he needs some plays ran for him and of course McGrady will make some plays to get him open shots.

9. snappyd

snappyd Member

I would hate not to give him a chance because of his shooting ability, but at this point, maybe it has to happen.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what the Rox think about it.

10. dookiester

dookiester Member

novak is incredibly slow. he makes those guys (peja, korver) look like purebreds. novak is an incredible shooter no doubt but he must improve his defense and ability to get open to garner real minutes. as it is he can't get a shot off if there's a defender in front of him, though maybe that ability to keep defenders honest and close is worth having him in the game anyway. i would definitely have him ahead of luther in the rotation though.

11. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Right now, Novak > Luther. NO doubt about that. I think Novak has yet to receive enough minutes, so experience wise RA thinks Luther is better. RA should be working on Novak during the off-seasons. I'm sure the entire Rocket team knows how good a shooter Novak is. His size make him deadlier. He also has an incredibly quick release. A combination of this is basically a taller and more accurate version of ray allen :eek: .

Also, he isn't slow like Nowitski. He is pretty fast. If he can bulk himself up a bit, then its Holy Crap for other teams.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The third year is generally THE year for young players, they either prove they belong or they drop off the charts.

Luther...well.....let's just say it was not a good 3rd year...

Novak looks promising....got to resign him and get him on the court with Yao.

DD

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Despite being the son of a coach this dude's bball IQ is low. Either that or he is so nervous on the court he looks like a chicken with its head cut off.

I know everyone is in love with this guy's shot but he seems to make it at a higher clip when the game is already decided. More often he makes marginal rotation players on the opposing team look like All Stars.

I just didn't see enough improvement in his game. He can't even do the basics defensively like close out of shooters or keep an eye on his man when they cut to the basket. He is always going to get abused defensively so unless he is surrounded by athletes and a truly elite shot blocker to erase his mistakes then I don't see him as a rotation player on a contending team.

14. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

Hopefully after this series, if RA saw the same series I did, then Novak is ahead of Head in his rotation.

15. DaDakota

Still waiting on Peja to close out on defense.

:rolleyes:

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Steve "Ray" Novak. LOL. At the most he could be another Matt Bullard,don't overrate him,he is never going to be a star.

17. lastmanstanding

Yeah I HATE his no defense. Luther's crap but at least he has some semblance of D. But Novak has come up clutch. Man why can't he defend? I remember him running away from an opposing player in the Warriors game we won when it was just him and the player one on one.

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Peja is a bigger, stronger guy who can handle the ball a bit, has a quicker release and has actually hit shots in big games on winning teams. Novak and Peja should not be mentioned in the same sentence.

Novak is what Matt Bullard probably was in 10th grade. The guy is actually horrible at EVERYTHING but shooting.

19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Took a while before players like Peja or Nowitzki became truely known don't ya think?

If I were you I'll blame JVG for dropping him on the bench for so long. He lost confidence. I feel sorry for Novak, JVG has been wasting away his abilities.

20. DaDakota

Peja is shorter and weighs a total of 10 more pounds than Novak.

Now I am not saying Novak=Peja, but with a shot like his...nearly 50% from 3pt range, you HAVE to find him some time and live with his defensive liabilities.

Hell, Tmac doesn't play any D....and we play him.

:D

DD