1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron] “Legends” treat fans to trip down memory lane (Mad Max)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Feb 17, 2013.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...-star-in-legends-game-full-of-former-rockets/

[​IMG]

Vernon Maxwell, who helped the Rockets win NBA championships in 1994 and ’95, is 49 years old now, and his routine as a retiree sounds rather ordinary.

Certainly not the doings of a madman.

“I train kids and try to keep my golf ball in the middle of the fairway,” said Maxwell, who lives in Charlotte, N.C. “That’s about it.”

And yet he’s still “Mad Max” when he steps on the court.

Maxwell first earned the nickname for his clutch 3-point shooting, and some of his off-the-court antics made it stick. And everywhere he turned Saturday at the Legends Game, it’s all people shouted.

“Mad Max! Over here!” “Mad Max! Sign my ball!”

“It goes with the territory,” Maxwell said with a grin. “That’s what a lot of people know me by. Instead of Vernon, they’ll call me Mad Max.”

Maxwell was one of nearly two dozen former NBA players who descended on Hofheinz Pavilion for a pick-up game and the chance to reconnect with the fans who still remember them fondly.

“We don’t want the fans to forget,” said Maxwell, who helped put the first event together two years ago during the All-Star festivities in Los Angeles, along with NBA journeyman Anthony Avent.

“Fans still think about the legends, the past guys, (and) they want to see us out here.”

Maxwell’s Red team, which included Shawn Kemp — who showed up at halftime — and Christian Laettner, lost 129-110 to the White team, which featured Sam Cassell, Antoine Walker and Cuttino Mobley.

Cassell and Mobley, former Rockets who played together with the L.A. Clippers, got the White team started, and they led most of the way.

“I love it,” Mobley said. “I just love the camaraderie, all these guys, not seeing them for a long time, and then being able to see them, it was fun.”

Mobley played with the Rockets for six seasons from 1998 to 2004, when he was traded to the Orlando Magic along with Steve Francis — who didn’t play in the Legends Game — for Tracy McGrady.

Mobley, who still makes his home in Houston, said it was hard to leave.

“It was tough because when you’re younger like that you don’t understand the business, so it hurt a little bit, but after a while, the more you grow, the more you understand that it is business,” he said.

Even harder than leaving the Rockets was leaving the NBA in 2008 because of a heart condition. But Mobley said Friday that he did not retire and, in fact, is pursuing a path back to the league.

“I’m trying to get back in now,” he said.

The game also featured former Rockets Sleepy Floyd (1988-93) and James Posey (2002-03) on the White team and Bonzi Wells (2006-08), Sam Mack (1995-97, 1999) and Tracy Murray (1995) on the Red team.

The most recent NBA players included Darrell Armstrong (2008 New Jersey Nets), Damon Jones (2009 Milwaukee Bucks), Derek Anderson (2008 Charlotte Bobcats) and Theo Ratliff (2011 Lakers).

“It’s always fun to come back to Houston,” Maxwell said.

“I always remember the championships, and just the teammates I had, (and) the camaraderie we had together. Sam, Robert (Horry), Kenny (Smith), Mario (Elie), Dream (Hakeem Olajuwon), Otis (Thorpe) – the friendships we built up and the relationships that I had with them, that’s what I miss the most.”

1 person likes this.
  2. tinman

Supporting Member

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

How is Cat going to make a come back? Always been a favorite player of mine but that is kind of hard to believe. Hope he can get the franchise back on track.

4. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

WOW so he was really in Houston, why didn't Cassell mention he was going to play in this game during the interview? Is there any footage of this, I would pay big bucks to see that game. Abdul-Rauf sighting in the picture!!! :grin:

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Mad Max was one of my favorite players from that era of Rockets basketball .... such a competetive demeanor on the court ... and he had MJ's #. They could use a guy like him now.

6. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

now thats a game to see!

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

it looks like nobody was there... I would have gone if I had known about it.

8. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

dammit, I would've gone for Maxwell alone..... :/ wish they'd advertise he was there

9. 713

713 Member

they should have televised this....

10. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

sounds more interesting than the dunk contest.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wonder if Max would make a better TV color commentator than Clyde.

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

Max Headroom would make a better color commentator than clyde.

13. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

He'd probably be better, but he'd be a constant risk of beating someone up

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Even harder than leaving the Rockets was leaving the NBA in 2008 because of a heart condition. But Mobley said Friday that he did not retire and, in fact, is pursuing a path back to the league.

“I’m trying to get back in now,” he said.

Good luck with that!

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Many of whom no doubt deserve it.

16. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Sam Cassell = alien

17. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

18. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I wish they did more promotion for this.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Maxwell looks like he can whip Steve Francis one on one.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tgtwhTiG7I8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>