1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Portland Trailblazers, Greg Oden Debut

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Shroopy2, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I'm speaking a lot about a mere preseason game. But from this highlight video I was very impressed by all the young talent and athleticism of the Blazers. They are deep and are going to be a fun team to watch. And might come around sooner than later. Can already tell they might be tough to beat at home.

Though keep in mind its a Blazers video of mostly dunks and good plays. And no Kevin Martin or Brad Miller for the Kings. Oden might not be as good as Bynum yet, but he already looks equally as beastly. Really he better be against Mikki Moore. Donte Green led the Kings in scoring.

Rudy Fernandez is good with the backdoor baseline oops and delivered some nifty passes. All their other guys got in on the dunkfest as well, even old man Pryzbilla. Martell Webster led them with only 15 which means it was a balanced attack. Also notable was who DIDNT play: Steve Blake, Channing Frye, Raef Lafrentz, Luke Jackson. Ike Diogu doesnt even show up in any highlights and he got double figures in scoring off the bench. Again, its preseason...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pWqSjBYqZio&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pWqSjBYqZio&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

NBA.com highlights
    http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.p.../recaps/recap09_pre006_sacpor.asx&video=blank

2. worzel gummidge

fernandez would've given alston some competition at pg if the rocks had been able to get him...

3. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

I am in love with rudy fernandez

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

thanks for posting it.

Oden sure looks beastly. Interested to see how he plays against taller guys like Yao, Bynum. Who did the Kings put on him, was it Brad Miller?

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The Kings had a damn Skinny (Brad Miller didn't play) lineup. Oden was guarded by a 2007 draft pick Spencer Hawes. This game is hardly enough to show how good Oden really is. When Oden goes against proven teams, then I'll start judging.

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the blazers are going to be scary good very soon.

7. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

wow....this team is scary.

oden is excellent, he's a dwight howard type player, but only better. and fernades....lets just say the suns shot themselves in the leg by trading that pick away.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It looks to me like Fernandez might have a better shot at ROY than Oden.

9. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

call me crazy but I wasnt impressed by Oden.
    I will believe when I see more out of his game and against real competition.
    Im not saying hes not good but I am not into the hype that I keep seeing everywhere else.

10. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

I agree. Running over Spencer Hawes, while all well and good, isn't hugely impressive. Rudy Fernandez was the guy that really impressed me in those highlights.

11. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Oden looked fatter and slower than I remember in college. Obviously he still has athleticism, but I remember him being more mobile than that. Rudy looks like a stud.

12. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I don't know that he looked fatter. He did look a little slow and is still getting his stamina up though.

I think he will be good, but it may take a couple years. I admit that I only watched a bit of the first half though... he may have looked better in the second.

13. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

this team is scary, im glad we have their number

14. opticon

opticon Member

Rudy is just sick. If Rudy is not the starting point guard by the end of they year nate needs to be fired.

15. FFz

FFz Member

is that a full house for a preseason game?! Man they got some nice fans in portland...

16. tomato

tomato Member

The Blazers are going to win their divison

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you can't name one thing oden is better than howard at. that's a beyond ridiculous statement

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Greg showed some low post footwork which was intriguing. He will get better over the years.He is going to have problems against Yao,Bynum but I wouldn't be surprised if he adjusts against them quickly.
    The NBA needs successful centers and Oden can become one of them.

19. opticon

opticon Member

I agree that the statement is outlandish so early on. But the smarty pants in me had to mention that oden is a better foul shooter then howard. :p

20. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

poty!