1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Carmelo trade talks heat up that the Rockets and Lakers want in on the sweepstakes.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thevirus, Sep 21, 2015.

1. basketballholic

We just need to wait for DeMarcus or Jimmy B.

2. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

For such a clearly gifted offensive player, I've always been troubled by Anthony's assist averages. With all the attention he gets, I would expect him to get at least 5 APG, but he's always been around 3 APG even when he was young. I can't think of another elite scorer who is not a big man who gets fewer than 5 APG.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Melo is a has been, he cant even lead a team to the playoffs in the pathetic East. Scoring 25 is nice and all, but if your fg% is bad then that just means you just chuck the ball more than the average person. And the guy makes 22M! You'd have to gut your team just like what NYC did just to fit him in. Pretty sure this is just a smokescreen to stir up some Melodrama :rolleyes:

I mean the Rox has been rejected by Melo like 3x already. How many more times do they want to chase the guy?

4. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

It's more plausible that we are a third team in a deal that keeps Melo out east. Maybe Morey wants in n the sweepstakes in that sense.

eg. Melo to the Bulls. What could Morey pluck out of the Knicks and/or Bulls to make it worth while for us?

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

All I see is you putting up things he's done in the past. That was never the discussion to begin with yet you want to post attributes and achievements before the obvious downfall in NY. There's nothing you can say that shows Carmelo Anthony today is a superstar in this league. He is not a superstar. He's done absolutely nothing in the past 4 years with the Knicks. He can't even get the Knicks to the playoffs in the east where you don't even need a winning record to get in. He obviously doesn't make players better. People like chandler, smith, shumpert, Lin have even gone on to playoff teams after they left and become significant contributors without him.

Again, stop bringing up the past because that's not what is being discussed. So if you're having a hard time understanding it's your own fault for assuming were not talking about melo the player as of today. Also you never answered the question of Kevin love being a superstar or not. Since you consider melo a super star still Kevin love should be in the same category.

6. gdinamite

gdinamite Member

I think Lawson + Brewer + Jones + Dekker could be a deal

We can keep Ariza and Beverley and play Melo at PF.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Please for the love of God let the Lakers trade the farm for Carmelo Anthony

Kobe and Melo chucking would be Grade-A comedy

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

From our perspective, I don't see how a trade could be possible. Obviously, it would have to happen down the road and it would involve us gutting our entire roster to match his $22M salary. It's in DM's nature to always shop around and capitalize on "buy low" opportunities, but this is an idea that will very likely never happen due to practical reasons.

That said, on a more general note: you guys are crazy for being so dismissive of Melo. Make no mistake about it, when healthy and whenever his head is screwed on properly he's one of the best basketball players on the planet. Definitely top five. Nearly unstoppable one-on-one and automatic double-team whenever he's hot. A guy that rebounds the hell out of the ball, draws a ton of fouls, has an impressive resume, is tough and very competitive. He's good enough to be your 1a or 1b option on a championship caliber team.

9. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

Really?, he is 1A now and the team is a lottery team. He was 1A last year and that team was trash.
    I understand your view of him, Melo is such a fantastic scorer. I would of loved him here, had he signed with us in FA, but he didnt. I wouldnt gut the team for him.

10. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Ariza, Brewer, Decker, KJ, and Jones could work, right?

Please correct me if I am wrong..

11. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

I dont think its a matter of gutting the team, in reality, the "gut" would be 1 PF, 1 SF, and 1 PG, plus 1 young player who wouldnt play for the next two years. You would compensate this, by plugging Jet or Marcus in at the 1, and Marcus would still backup Harden at the 2. Ariza would still be the 3, and Melo would "most likely" soak the final SF minutes, while playing the 4 slot the rest of his time. DMo being given the rest of the 4, and Howard/Capela all the 5 minutes.

Terrance Jones + Ty Lawson + Corey Brewer + Sam Dekkar for Melo would leave Houston with 1,895,000 in salary cuts, which adding the 1,270,000 left of the MLE and 1,500,000 under the Apron, gives us close to 4.5 million to add 3 veterans we would be missing in the trade.

You would end up with:

Beverley / Terry / Thorton
    Harden / Thorton / McDaniels
    Ariza / Anthony / McDaniels
    Anthony / Motie / Harrell
    Howard / Capela / Harrell

and then 4 players at vet minimum / rookie DLeague minimum.

For anyone who would state, 4 vet minimum or Dleague junkies would do nothing for this team, well, come playoffs, you are only 9 or 10 guys in rotation, so it wouldnt matter who the extra 4 on our team are. The question comes, do you value the trio of Ty Lawson, Terrance Jones and Corey Brewer over Marcus Thorton, KJ McDaniels and Carmelo Anthony.

There is a reason Morey signed KJ, they obviously believe in him, because his paltry deal with not be landing us anyone significant in a trade. Carmelo Anthony would give this team wildly better playmaking than Ty Lawson, imo. I dont care about his bad rap, i've not been the greatest supporter of Melo for sure, but Melo in the post or wing is a double team glue, Ty Lawson is not that. It would give Houston 3 players demanding Double Teams, no team in the league has that kind of power.

TL/DR: Carmelo trade would not "gut" the team, it would just shuffle the deck to give players playing time that Morey feels deserves. It still is "most likely" that he wants to pillage a player or two as a third team. Our team is pretty set.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Generally in favor in adding Melo to this team, but not at the cost of Lawson.

Top ten PG entering his prime > Melo.

Brewer / McDaniels / Jones / Beverley.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So many worrisome things when it comes to Anthony.

His shooting. It's ok but it's horrific in the playoffs. When you are shooting 42% overall, and 32% from downtown and scoring 20-something a game - you are a good players on a very bad team.

Speaking of teams, he has been on good teams in Denver but I have never really seem him play great team basketball. For as much as he handles the ball, it's shocking he hardly gets 3 assists/game. That says he doesn't break down defenses but takes a lot of jump shots and isolates for himself. That's not what this offense needs. His usage rate goes up and Harden goes down. We have a ball-dominate player already who is far more efficient.

That knee. Big risk there.

His defense is kinda a joke.

And what gives me the most pause - he just reminds me so much of Tracy McGrady.

Houston fans will not like him. Don't trade for him - or we will have Tinman yelling at him in 10 years about how horrible of a player he was.

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

The 1a/1b comment was regarding Melo and Harden in this hypothetical scenario -- however it would play out. But it hinges on the idea of two players being so good that there's little gap between the two of them. Melo obviously doesn't have that in NY like he would here in Houston.

15. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

3 way trade. Would much prefer Jimmy Butler.

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm not sure if you are messing with me or what. What is there to discuss but the past when speculating about the future. You are really losing it, bud. Everything is history if you're not living in the moment.

I don't see any evidence that compels me to say he's lost a significant step. He was injured last year and scored 24 ppg. He was also the focus of the defense. He would not be the focus of opposing defenses if he played with Dwight and Harden.

Only one player in the history of the NBA could have replaced Carmelo and led those scrubs to the playoffs: Hakeem.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

fully agree, butler would be a perfect fit next to harden. but CHI would be dumb as rocks to swap him for melo..

18. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

I guess Dwight is suppose to do all the rebounding and defense? At some point there are only so many balls to go around and the delta on offensive efficiency can't improve enough to justify completely ignoring the junkyard dog aspects of the game, defense and rebounding.

1 person likes this.
  19. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Yes, we would all drop our panties for Butler