1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Milo Hamilton--Just Plain Terrible

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ima_drummer2k, Aug 13, 2003.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Am I the only one who can't stand this guy's play by play? I can never tell what just happened. Here's an example:

"Here's the pitch...swinging...there's a drive, will it go? Alou back to the wall and...........WhooooOOooo, I'll tell you what! The look on Alou's face really tells the story, he looked like a bull in a china closet!!"

That's nice, Milo but what the hell just happened?!?!? He always does that.

Bring back Gene Elston! He may not be a "Hall Of Famer" :rolleyes: , but at least he painted a picture of what was happening like any good play by play man should!

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I agree 100%. Hamilton always announces the game like folks can see what he is talking about. He'll also be talking about something else and 2 or 3 pitches will have been thrown.

3. Buck Turgidson

He may be the worst radio announcer I've ever heard. Ashby doesn't help things either.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

My biggest complaint, can I please have the score everytime you go to commercial when the teams are leaving the field.

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I have been saying Milo is terrible since he came to Houston. He has gotten worse every year.

Bill Brown is terrible as well. Boring as o-hell. The only TV play-by-play guy worse than Brown is that goof that does the Rangers games, Josh somethingorother. That guy talks about the Brady Bunch and Spiderman during games. A total Nerd.

When you grew up listening to Gene Elston do Astros games, you knew there would never be anyone as good to replace him, EVER.

I gotta throw this in, since getting the Dish and MLB Pass, I have really grown to like Vin Scully's style. Amazing announcer, no color man needed. Vin does the ENTIRE game by himself and is never boring. He tells insightful stories about players in between pitches and the game just flows. He is the last of a dying breed I'm afraid. Enjoy Vin while he is still around.

6. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

God. I remember Vin Scully and Joe Garigiola on NBC.

I couldnt stand them.

Remember Bob Smith from the Cleveland Indians.
    Wasn't he Bob Feller's teammate.
    Yes. I saw him last week and he still looks like he could go 9.
    Great ball player.

7. oscuro

oscuro Member

why don't we put calvin murphy to call astros games with bill?:D

8. Buck Turgidson

True, but he & Deshaies work well together, and JD is funny & insightful enough to make up for Brown's coma-inducing personality.

Brown & Worrell, on the other hand...

How Worrell has an on-air job is something that continues to amaze me.

9. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

How can you hate Vin Scully?? He's a legend. Back then he was sharp, probably not now though.

I think Bill Worrell is a good Rockets play-by-play guy, but with baseball, he tries to be an analyst, and that just isn't his forte.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I was at the last regular season Astro game at the dome and Gene came out a made a little speech before he introduced some of the all time Astros. He said something to the effect of "I may not have been a cheerleader, but.." etc. I think it was a well deserved shot at our current play by play guy. I don't remember the circumstances that led to him being replaced with Milo, but Gene seems a little bitter in the interviews I've heard from him since then.

Gene was The Man.

11. BobFinn*

Vin is just as sharp now as he was back then. He picks up every little thing that goes on during a game. The best out there right now.

Gene Elston was fired by John McMullen after he bought the Astros. He said the reason was "Elston is too boring." In other words, Elston wasn't a cheerleader like Milo is. Also, I think McMullen and Milo were friends. It was a disgrace the way he treated Gene Elston.

Gene Elston posts at this forum:

http://pub45.ezboard.com/fastrosbaseballfrm9

And writes coumns here:

http://pub45.ezboard.com/fastrosbaseballfrm22

12. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Milo style is very repulsive but Jim Deshaies (on the TV side) is very entertaining and interesting. Jeff Hagonou (sp) does a good job calling the Houston Comets games. His enthusiasism and positive personality and approach is contageous and it makes listening to Comets games on the radio fun.

Talking about announcers I hate or dislike, the list include (and not restricted to);

Joe Morgan (MLB)
    John Thompson (NBA)
    ESPN's "Boomer" :rolleyes:
    That bald Caucasian NBA color guy (former GS warrior)
    John Madden
    The annoying 2003 MLB ASG co-announcer (opposite Joe Buck)

13. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Because even back then he and Joe G. would talk about these esoteric insignificant players from 30 years ago.

Pedro Guerrero with a single up the middle.
    Remember Pete Cromwell.
    Yes. Pete Cromwell of the 49 Cubs.
    In 1949 he and Bobby Taylor shared a room. And one day......

14. BALLhog 247 365

bill worell is very annoying...he should stick to basketball...he knows nothing about baseball

15. BobFinn*

Bill Worrell played college baseball at Arizona (or Az State, forget which one, don't get old) Not sure if he was drafted by a MLB team or not. But he does know baseball.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Whoa, all. Milo is the single only enjoyable thing about 'stros broadcasts.

Milo is terrific!

17. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

HOLY TOLEDO, he's right!

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

deshaies brings to bill brown what calvin brings to bill worrell. a little bit of fun. they make a good team. both bills together is a bit boring but i'm used to it.

the part about listening to the radio that bugs me is that it's near impossible to get the friggin score.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

milo was hired prior to elston's ousting -- they both worked scott's no-hitter in '86 (elston's tv call? iirc, "there it is").

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Bill Brown is terrible. Bill Worrell NEEDS Calvin! Deshaies is getting pretty good. Ash is improving to just bad, no longer super horrid.

And what the heck is Lucas doing getting a paycheck?