1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] The ( Texas Killing ) Fields

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[Movie] The ( Texas Killing ) Fields (Houston Serial Killer Flick)

I usually don't post movies until there is a trailer, but this one is special- it's about my old stomping grounds- the I45 corridor SE of Houston. More specifically, the Killing Field is in League City. Tons of bodies have been found there. I used to live in a run-down rent house a few blocks away.

Starring Sam Worthington
    Directed by Michael Mann

Link

Sam Worthington Checks into the Texas Killing Fields The Fields (aka Texas Killing Fields) Movie — By Nix on February 8, 2010 Continuing his quest to star in, or at least become attached to every movie ever made by Hollywood from 2009 onward, Aussie Sam Worthington has officially signed on to star in the true-life murder mystery “The Texas Killing Fields”. The film will be produced by “Heat” director Michael Mann, who has given the job of directing the sure-to-be moody (and gritty and haunting and apparently very hardcore) crime film to his daughter, Ami Canaan Mann (pictured left, with daddy), who last directed some movie you’ve never heard of in 2000, and a couple of TV episodes, one of which was produced by her daddy. Oh, Hollywood, you and your shameless nepotism. The script for “Killing Fields” (since retitled “The Fields”) is by Donald F. Ferrarone, and will star Worthington as a local Texas cop who teams up with a New York transplant to investigate two decades worth of disappearances and homicides in the industrial wastelands surrounding Gulf Coast refineries. Or as the article puts it, Worthington and his as-yet-uncast New York cop buddy will be “[waging] a war against the unknown but fierce killers.” Michael Mann expands on the project to Deadline: “Sam read it, met Ami, and he was in. And for me, this is a dream come true to enable Ami to do this. Sam will play Jake, this tough-minded misanthropic Texan, who with his partner Brian wind up waging something of a war against these unknown assailants, a ferocious battle to save each other and the life of this young street kid.” Previous reports had Bradley Cooper playing the “Brian” character, but that hasn’t been confirmed. The film is expected to start shooting this April in Louisiana. Meanwhile, Sam Worthington has outbid my next door neighbor to cut my lawn, and he’ll be hard at work starting tomorrow. Sam mows a mean lawn, let me tell you.​

Here's a link to some info on the Killing Field.

#1 Xerobull, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I'll be the first to admit that I never even heard about this, and I was born and raised in Houston.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'll be the second.

Still, stories like these, especially being in an area I have an interest in, fascinate me. Interesting read.

4. PlanetG

PlanetG Member

Michael Mann films are the win. This should rock. :cool: :cool:

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder how close a reign Michael will keep on his daughter. I mean, it's great to give her a shot, but I imagine the studio is expecting this to be largely HIS vision, not hers.

Not looking forward to hearing Worthington try to do a Texas accent. He can barely keep his Aussie accent under wraps when he's playing your standard American accent in Terminator: Salvation and Avatar.

Still, this sounds like it could be really interesting.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

It is creepy. I thought the Killing Fields was on the other side of the interstate, a bit further down. I didn't know it was off of Caulder Rd. My dad work near there and on the weekends, we'd take our bikes in ride in that area during those years in which that happened. I can't really tell where the actual fields were from the article, but I do remember my friends mom taking us to an old run down ranch/farm about a mile down caulder to meet someone back when we were kids.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Wow, didn't know about this. I work off of 96 and South Shore Harbor and pass by Calder Rd. everyday. I'm still confused where the location is, but I do recognize Calder Rd.

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Wouldn't that serial killer who used 2 teens to gather victims make a better movie?

Either way, just thinking about Sam Worthington trying to use an east texas accent is giving me a headache.

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

This reminds me, if you want to watch a great war movie that never gets talked about, watch The Killing Fields. It's about 1975-1979 Cambodia and the Khmer Rouge's attempt at genocide.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I never heard about there being a lot of murders down in that area either but I haven't lived in Houston in decades.

Reading the plot I couldn't help but thinking of the short lived 80's TV show I think it was called "Houston Knights" that was supposed to be sort of like "Miami Vice" for Houston with a NYC cop teamed up with a cowboy cop in Houston. From what I remember it was way more campy than gritty and threw in almost every Texas stereotype.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just a follow up found the show I was thinking of.
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dzk9hbvUUf4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dzk9hbvUUf4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Holy**** they are seriously making a movie on it!!!!

I live in the brittany lakes area and I would walk to go play basketball and pass by it everyday it is freaky! The thing is they have built houses on a lot of it now.

I'm surprised so little people know about it, maybe its because thats where I actually live its diff

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Do you know where centerpoint is? The tore down the bridge with the construction that goes over to brittany lakes but there is a lot of farmland that is being developed. I took a walk there once just for the hell of it, believe me you'll konw it when you see it.

15. BmwM3

So it's on the other side of the freeway? Not the same side as the Football field? I know the bridge you're talking about that is now League City Pkwy.

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I was under the impression that it was on the corner of Hobbs and Brittany Bay Blvd, which was apparently renamed to League City Parkway. Where the YMCA is now, behind the 'bird streets' houses.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There was a guy convicted a few years back of kidnapping and murdering a girl from a bar in the Clear Lake area. A few of us here on the boards went to high school with him - i'm totally blanking on his name right now. They put him away for life for the murder, but there was speculation that he had killed more than just the one girl. I recall that he was out near areas where bodies were found -- on one occasion he was stuck in the mud out in one of the fields and had to be towed out. I'll try to remember the guy's name, but it was a pretty big murder trial i'm sure someone on the bbs remembers it.

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Was it Ralston? There was a guy by the last name of Ralston (or something close to that) who is in jail for murder (I believe) who apparently confessed to these murders. There was never any evidence to that, however, and the police never charged him. Plus, they figured he would have had to have been around 15 or 16 when the first murder would have occured, which is not impossible but seems a bit unlikely.

19. BmwM3

The only name I could come up on a google search was Mark Roland Stallings.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=2001_3345841

They said he confessed to the murders.

20. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Does the Jessica Cain disappearance anything to do with this killer? I remember reading about that story back in the day.