1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Drew_Le, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

2. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Can someone post keith law's mock draft posted today on espn insider?

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

http://www.orangewhoopass.com/forums/index.php?topic=116963.msg519405#msg519405

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You could at least post the link...

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft/mock/?season=2015&version=1&source=Keith-Law-Mock-Draft

1. Dansby Swanson, Vanderbilt HT: 6-0 WT: 190 POS: SS
    Analysis: The Diamondbacks have looked at a ton of players this spring, but two things are becoming clearer: They're focused primarily on Swanson and Dillon Tate for this pick, and they've already decided internally whom they're taking (I've heard from two independent sources that they have settled on their guy, but of course won't disclose it to anyone, not even the player in question). There's also a rumor that they're considering Carson Fulmer at a significant discount. The Snakes don't pick again until 43, so while they may be able to save a million or two when signing whomever they take at 1-1, they will have a hard time maneuvering another player they like all the way to their next pick.

2. Alex Bregman, LSU HT: 6-0 WT: 190 POS: SS
    Analysis: The Astros are taking two hitters at 2 and 5, and would love to get Swanson here. For whatever reason, they're less interested in Brendan Rodgers (my top player) than most clubs, citing underwhelming performance this spring (even though his performance last summer was outstanding).

3. Dillon Tate, UC Santa Barbara HT: 6-2 WT: 185 POS: RHP
    Analysis: The Rockies would love to take a pitcher here, but I imagine they'll have quite a debate internally if both Tate and Rodgers get to this pick. I'd heard they were interested in Mike Nikorak, but he hasn't had a strong spring, especially in terms of control, and would be a reach up here.

4. Brendan Rodgers, Lake Mary (Fla.) High School HT: 6-0 WT: 195 POS: SS
    Analysis: The Rangers would probably take Walker Buehler here if Rodgers and Tate goes ahead of them, and I've mostly heard them on college players for this pick. Their usual philosophy of taking higher-upside prep players is more likely to come into play with later picks.

5. Kyle Tucker, Plant High School (Tampa) HT: 6-4 WT: 175 POS: OF
    Analysis: I've also heard the Astros with Trenton Clark and Daz Cameron here, and if they get Swanson at pick 2, they could come back and take Bregman, but it's more likely they take a prep bat. They could also take Daz Cameron at 2 and probably still get Bregman here, as opposed to taking Cameron here and possibly having to pay him over slot.

6. Kolby Allard, San Clemente (Calif.) High School HT: 6-0 WT: 175 POS: LHP
    Analysis: If Allard's medicals check out -- he had a stress reaction in his lower back but was shut down before it progressed to a fracture -- he seems like the Twins' target. I've heard them with Cameron, although rumor has it he wants more than the slot number here.

7. Daz Cameron, SCHOOL: Eagles Landing HS (McDonough, Ga.) HT: 6-1 WT: 190 POS: OF
    Analysis: If the Diamondbacks take Tate, the Astros would take Swanson, and the Red Sox might get their top target, Bregman. They also like Andrew Benintendi as a backup to the backup, and if they are comfortable with Brady Aiken's medicals they might end up taking him.

8. Carson Fulmer, SCHOOL: Vanderbilt HT: 5-11 WT: 195 POS: RHP
    Analysis: The White Sox appear to be highest on Fulmer and Tyler Jay, either of whom could pitch in a major league bullpen this fall. I've been told Fulmer doesn't get past here.

9. Trenton Clark, SCHOOL: Richland HS (North Richland Hills, Texas) HT: 6-0 WT: 200 POS: OF
    Analysis: I've also heard the Cubs with Garrett Whitley, Andrew Benintendi, Jon Harris and Carson Fulmer, and possibly Cameron too. They may replicate their so-far successful strategy from last year, taking a bat they love with their first pick and going over slot for arms in later rounds, such as 6-foot-7 prep lefty Bryan Hudson from Alton, Ill., who has one of the better curveballs in the draft.

10. Walker Buehler, SCHOOL: Vanderbilt HT: 6-1 WT: 160 POS: RHP
    Analysis: I've heard them with Kevin Newman, No. 2 on my big board, and while I always argue that teams should target the best player available, with J.P. Crawford apparently their shortstop of the foreseeable future Newman's value to the Phils might be blunted. They're also among the teams on high school catchers Chris Betts and Tyler Stephenson.

#264 juicystream, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
  5. juicystream

11. Tyler Jay, SCHOOL: Illinois HT: 6-1 WT: 175 POS: LHP
    Analysis: Jay might have gone in the top 5, even 1-1, had he started all spring, but national scouts and directors haven't had enough looks at him because he's worked in the bullpen and has even had one weekend series in which he didn't appear. The Reds appear to be highest on Jay and Carson Fulmer, both of whom could pitch in a major-league bullpen this fall, although Jay has a slight advantage there as he will throw about half as many innings as Fulmer will before signing.

12. Garrett Whitley, SCHOOL: Niskayuna (N.Y.) High School HT: 6-1 WT: 195 POS: OF
    Analysis: Tucker also probably stops here, as would Clark. This is Phil Bickford's first possible landing spot. If the premium high-school bats are all gone, they might switch to a college hitter like Ian Happ or Newman.

13. Andrew Benintendi, SCHOOL: Arkansas HT: 5-10 WT: 180 POS: OF
    Analysis: The Rays also appear to be high on Whitley and Clark, and may be the highest possible spot for college arms such as Kyle Funkhouser, Harris or James Kaprielian.

14. Tyler Stephenson, SCHOOL: Kennesaw Mountain HS (Kennesaw, Ga.) HT: 6-4 WT: 215 POS: C
    Analysis: I expect Atlanta to take largely prep players, and of course they're being linked to every kid in Georgia other than Cameron; Cornelius Randolph might be their preference here if he gets this far. I also believe they're on Jalen Miller for their second or third pick.

15. Kevin Newman, SCHOOL: Arizona HT: 6-1 WT: 180 POS: SS
    Analysis: I've heard the Brewers with Tristan Beck, probably for their second pick, and perhaps Ke'Bryan Hayes if he gets that far. Scouting director Ray Montgomery had success in Arizona by taking whatever fell to him in the draft, like Braden Shipley, and I believe the Brewers are hoping for a similar windfall here.

16. Chris Betts, SCHOOL: Wilson High School (Long Beach, Calif.) HT: 6-2 WT: 220 POS: C
    Analysis: I've heard the Yanks with Whitley; Donny Everett, who might be available again at 30 as an over-slot guy; as well as Drew Finley at that later pick. This is my own speculation, but I wonder if they're a landing spot for Cameron if he's looking for an over-slot deal.

17. Ian Happ, SCHOOL: Cincinnati HT: 6-0 WT: 205 POS: 2B
    Analysis: Cleveland tends to be a true "best player available" team, landing Brad Zimmer last year when they didn't expect him to get to them in the first place. Happ or Newman would fit that bill here, or Jon Harris, with Nikorak as something of a longshot.

18. Jon Harris, SCHOOL: Missouri State HT: 6-4 WT: 175 POS: RHP
    Analysis: I think sometimes folks just assume the Giants are taking a starter, since they've had success with them, even though they've taken a bat in the first round four times since I started doing these (Buster Posey, Joe Panik, Gary Brown, Christian Arroyo). I've also heard them linked to Cody Ponce and Nikorak.

19. Cornelius Randolph, SCHOOL: Griffin (Ga.) High School HT: 6-1 WT: 200 POS: SS
    Analysis: The Pirates might be the high team on Ponce, who has finished strong after a midseason bout of shoulder soreness. They were also very high on Joe McCarthy, who missed most of the spring with a back problem, coming out of last summer.

20. Donnie Dewees, SCHOOL: North Florida HT: 6-0 WT: 190 POS: OF
    Analysis: Oakland's been very heavy on Dewees of late, comparing him to Brett Gardner, and active on Bickford and USD shortstop Kyle Holder.

#265 juicystream, May 21, 2015
  6. juicystream

21. Phil Bickford, SCHOOL: College of Southern Nevada HT: 6-0 WT: 200 POS: RHP
    Analysis: The Royals had great success with their first-round pick last year, taking TCU lefty starter Brandon Finnegan and using him in their major-league bullpen in September and the playoffs; they could do the same with Bickford, who can reach the upper 90s in relief, this fall.

22. Kyle Funkhouser, SCHOOL: Louisville HT: 6-2 WT: 220 POS: RHP
    Analysis: I've also heard the Tigers with Jacob Nix, Ashe Russell, Hayes, and Stephenson, as well as possibly Jahmai Jones with their second pick.

23. Nate Kirby, SCHOOL: Virginia HT: 6-2 WT: 185 POS: LHP
    The Cardinals are one of a few teams with two extra picks (one via the competitive balance lottery, one for failing to sign their third-rounder last year), so they have the flexibility to go well over on a player who falls here but wants a top-10 bonus.

24. Ke'Bryan Hayes, SCHOOL: Concordia Lutheran HS (Tomball, Texas) HT: 6-1 WT: 205 POS: 3B
    They're among teams rumored to be interested in Mike Matuella, the Duke right-hander who missed almost the entire spring after Tommy John surgery, and was in consideration at 1-1 had he stayed healthy and pitched well.

25. Cody Ponce, SCHOOL: Cal Poly Pomona HT: 6-6 WT: 240 POS: RHP
    Analysis: The Orioles are also in on Hayes, one of the draft's premium defensive players.

26. Scott Kingery, SCHOOL: Arizona HT: 5-11 WT: 175 POS: 2B
    Analysis: I've heard the Angels are mostly focused on college players here.

27. James Kaprielian, SCHOOL: UCLA HT: 6-4 WT: 200 POS: RHP
    Analysis: I've had a few scouts tell me they think Kaprielian goes in the teens or early 20s, but if some higher-rated college arms like Kirby, Funkhouser and Ponce slide a little into the back half of the round, that may push Kaprielian into the sandwich round, where I know the Rockies like him, as well as Spencer Nevin (son of Phil).

28. Drew Finley, SCHOOL: Rancho Bernardo High School (San Diego) HT: 6-3 WT: 200 POS: RHP
    Analysis: Finley's market probably starts here and runs to the top of the second round. Atlanta is also on Nikorak and could take him here, pushing Finley to the Yanks at 30.

29. Eric Jenkins, SCHOOL: West Columbus HS (Cerro Gordo, NC) HT: 6-2 WT: 180 POS: OF
    Analysis: The Blue Jays are also on Richie Martin, Justin Maese and Brady Singer.

30. Mike Nikorak, SCHOOL: Stroudsburg (Pa.) High School HT: 6-5 WT: 205 POS: RHP
    Analysis: I also heard the Yankees connected with Everett/Finley, as mentioned above, as well as Jacob Nix, who probably goes in the 25-35 range.

#266 juicystream, May 21, 2015
  7. juicystream

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

From his chat

[rquoter]Ted (NY)
    Did you make the Astros pick at 1.2 (Bregman) with the assumption that Correa would be sliding over to 3B under this scenario?

Klaw (1:15 PM)
    Teams rarely if ever draft with that in mind - just take the best player available or you'll likely regret it - and it's just as likely that Bregman moves to 2b as it is that Correa moves to 3b. They want Swanson more than Bregman, and P(Swanson = SS) > P (Bregman = SS).[/rquoter]

[rquoter]Danny (New York) [via mobile]
    Based on your mock it's clear that there is a lot of different scenarios in play in the top 10, which, if any, projected pick are you most confident in ? Any in the outside of the top 10 that you are particularly confident about ?

Klaw (1:35 PM)
    Astros/Swanson (if he's there), Red Sox/Bregman (same), White Sox/Fulmer, Twins/Allard all seem to have more basis than, say, what I have on the Cubs. I do think the Dbacks are really on Swanson and are just sending out more smokescreens than a medieval army to try to negotiate a better deal with him.[/rquoter]

Houston Astros
    First pick(s): 2 (and 5)
    Bonus pool: $17.289 million

System strength

Shortstop Carlos Correa is one of the best prospects in baseball, and the organization is packed with arms who throw exceptionally hard. Mark Appel and Vincent Velasquez you probably know, but Michael Feliz (who almost fell through the Rule 5 cracks in December), Josh Hader and the newly promoted Lance McCullers have high-octane arms as well.

System weaknesses

Appel and Velasquez both got mixed reviews in the Arizona Fall League, with scouts claiming Appel's easy-to-time delivery makes his mid-90s fastball play as if it were in the upper 80s. Both he and Colin Moran might go bust, depending on what your definition of "bust" is.

Draft strategy

It's all hands on deck this year for the Astros, who have four of the first 46 picks in the draft. They've shown a willingness to weigh both talent and monetary cost in the past and did a terrific job of manipulating the bonus-pool rules in 2012 before last year's Brady Aiken fiasco. They need to sign every one of their first four picks, so don't look for them to take anyone with signability concerns unless they've clearly saved a Brinks truck's worth of money at either No. 2 or 5.

Recent top picks

2014: Brady Aiken, LHP, No. 1
    2013: Mark Appel, RHP, No. 1
    2012: Carlos Correa, RHP, No. 1
    2011: George Springer, CF, No. 11

Notable No. 2 picks

1966: Reggie Jackson, OF (73.8 WAR)
    1985: Will Clark, 1B (56.2 WAR)
    2004: Josh Beckett, RHP (41.4 WAR)

Possible fits

Dansby Swanson, SS, Vanderbilt: If Swanson doesn't go No. 1, he seems likely to go here as a solid defensive shortstop with more pop than Kevin Newman and a better chance to stay at short than Alex Bregman.

Alex Bregman, SS, LSU: If Swanson is off the board, then Bregman makes sense as a quick-moving second base type with maybe the best track record of any prospect in the draft. Houston is one of the more stat-oriented clubs and Bregman tests well in the metrics, including favorable strikeout rates and isolated power.

Daz Cameron, Eagles Landing HS (McDonough, Ga.): Cameron is more likely to go to Houston at No. 5 than at No. 2, but if Dillon Tate goes first and both Swanson and Bregman are on the board, Houston could pop Daz at No. 2, let Brendan Rodgers and one of Swanson or Bregman go three and four, and pick up whatever middle-infield goodness is left at five. That scenario makes sense if Houston views Bregman and Swanson in the same light and really wants to make sure it lands Cameron. This could also be Kyle Tucker.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/insider/stor...league-west-team-needs-targets-2015-mlb-draft

9. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

the mock drafts are pretty much all over the place. The Astros have been tied to any number of guys ranked 1-10 by different mocks for the 2 & 5 spots. crazy. guess its a big crapshoot this year

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Allard has really shot up the board.

He is a Cali HSer.

He is a LHPer.

He has medical issues.

What could go wrong?

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

From what is called a weak draft, I have a hard time seeing Fulmer go past the Astros 2nd pick, No. 5 overall. I don't know the high school players and I am only basing this on the notion that the draft is weak. The only thing going against Fulmer is that short pitchers that throw hard spontaneously combust post-draft and MLB prohibits smoking in stadiums.

12. Dankush

Dankush Member

People say every draft without Harper or Stras is weak. It really is just a crapshoot.

The 2013 draft looks especially awful though. I think we just end up going with 1 position and 1 prep player and hopefully hit.

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

No change in Baseball America's mock; they still have the Astros taking Swanson and Tucker.

14. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Whoever takes this kid also takes Jacob Nix. That'd be kind of funny.

1 person likes this.
  15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Dansby Swanson is on an absolute tear at the SEC tournament.

The more I see of this guy the more I want him, unfortunately I think his stock has risen so high that he's gonna go number one.

16. awc713

awc713 Member

The more I watch him, the more I think the Zobrist comparison is a tad inaccurate. IMO, he looks like Rafeal Furcal 2.0.

17. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

it would be nice if this offense could really erupt for 10 or more runs...we are way overdue

18. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

whoops. wrong thread...this was in reference to the major league team :cool:

19. Buck Turgidson

His arm isn't that strong, is it? Furcal had one of the best ever at SS.

20. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Well it seems that this draft is not as strong as previous, but there should be plenty of fringe allstars in the top 10. Maybe not any MVP or CY Young level players, but finding the allstars would be excellent.