1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Random Astros Trade Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, May 2, 2015.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Kazmir seems interesting. He is probably due a more manageable contract than Cueto, and would likely desire to play here, although I doubt we would get very much of a discount. If we were to trade for him, he could help us win this year and possibly stay. If he were to leave via FA, we would be compensated with a draft pick to help offset what we traded.

If we were to simply go after him in free agency, we would likely lose our first round pick, our early negotiating advantage and we wouldn't have him for a possible playoff chase this year, so there is reason to try to acquire him via trade.

The same principles apply to Cueto, I just believe our likelihood of re-signing him is extremely low, and he would probably require better prospects.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

IIRC, Astros would not get picks for players acquired after opening day that become free agents. Astros don't likely lose a pick signing either Kazmir or Cueto in off-season as they both likely get traded before deadline.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Didn't realize they made that change, it's been years since I even paid attention to the FA market.

That would certainly decrease the value of going after him via trade, I guess it depends on just how big the asking price is.

4. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Luhnow does seem to be poking around everywhere, perhaps to create a little leverage. It'll be interesting to see which one he actually wants.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

What are the current rules about draft compensation for free agents lost if the team trades for the free-agent-to-be in the last year of his deal?

6. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Compensation will only be given if the player was with the team for the whole season. That's why the A's couldnt get compensation for Lester since they traded for him midseason

7. Buck Turgidson

Additionally and obviously, if you trade for a guy and re-sign him, you don't lose a pick.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Those guys beat me to it but I believe they don't get compensation.

If they trade for, say Kazmir, he walks, the Astros are not subject to draft compensation.

9. Buck Turgidson

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/41560...t-compensation-rules-impact-free-agent-market

Highlights:

Under the terms of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, the structure has changed. The old Type A and Type B designations are gone. When a player reaches free agency, his former team may make him what is known as a qualifying offer, worth the average amount of the previous season's top 125 salaries -- $13.3 million this [2012-13] offseason.

If the player accepts the offer, again he is considered to be signed to a contract for the next season. If he declines, the team that signs him gives up a Draft pick, while the team losing the player gains one -- though not the same pick.

The signing team gives up a first-round selection, unless it possesses one of the first 10 selections. In that case, the team gives up its next selection after that. The team losing the player, meanwhile, gains a sandwich pick at the end of the first round. This applies as long as the player signs before the start of the next Draft.
    Additionally, as of this year, a player traded during the season before he reaches free agency cannot receive a qualifying offer. A team can no longer trade for a player during a season and be compensated with a Draft pick if he signs with another team.
    [T]he new system has reduced the number of players who end up subject to compensation. Players who might make much less than $13.3 million were often offered arbitration. Last winter, 37 players (13 Type A and 24 Type B) were offered arbitration. The year before, it was 35 (14 Type A and 21 Type B).

By comparison, nine players received qualifying offers this winter

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

Colby won't be here after the season which will open a spot up for Tucker in left. No way they trade him or at least I hope not.

12. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Yup! Please hang on to Tucker. He's already a pretty good hitter and would make sense as Rasmus' replacement after the season.

13. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Luhnow doesn't strike me as the type to let a good, young player on a team controlled contract get away to keep a more expensive veteran who is already at his ceiling, but I could be wrong. They did let JD Martinez walk, after all...albeit very different circumstances that PTuck.

14. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

I'd hate to lose Tucker, but if they feel Santana is the future LF I could see him getting moved. Either way I see one of them getting moved (unless they move two of Gattis/Singleton/Carter).

Would love to keep Tucker though but he could be overvalued right now because of his hot start.

15. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Depends on the return. I seriously doubt Luhnow is going to undervalue Tucker in a trade.

If they can trade Tucker as the main piece in a deal for a solid #2-3 starter will a couple years of control that's probably worth it. It'd be a lot cheaper to make that trade and resign Rasmus than sign a #2-3 starter on the FA market.

16. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Anyone else completely fine with doing nothing and just continuing to promote the young guys?

17. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I am perfectly fine with that. If the right deal does not present itself, there is no reason for us to be desperate and make a bad deal. If a good deal presents itself, we should not be scared to part with young talent though.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not I. Astros have guys that will be coming up that need space on 40-man. Astros either need to consolidate talent or trade AAA guys for A or less guys.

19. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I'm a lot more comfortable with the hitting depth than pitching depth. I like McCullers long-term (even as a starter) but expecting him to step into the rotation and be an impact starter is too much.

It's very murky after Keuchel and Mchugh and the combination of Hernandez, Feldman and whatever else we have filling the 3rd and 4th spots in a playoff rotation does not fill me with confidence.

If they add another MOR or TOR starter I see them winning a playoff series.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Aaron Harang, who could emerge as a trade target for many teams, has at least been discussed by the Astros, who will need to lengthen their rotation ... While Cole Hamels is probably out of their reach financially ($24M per), Johnny Cueto is at least on their radar. But one executive says it'd be interesting to see Astros GM Jeff Luhnow and Cardinals GM Walt Jocketty do a deal (they weren't especially close when they worked together in the Cardinals front office), "It might have to be (Jim) Crane and Castellini doing the talking," that executive suggested of the owners

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer...possible-spots-for-ryan-howard-and-more-notes