1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN refuses to acknowledge they were scooped

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Willis25, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

Everyone around knows Sheridan broke this story - even though some Houston radio types (610 morning show) saidhe was washed up and doing it for clicks...

ESPN will not give him credit because they are a bunch of D-bags who haven't broke a real story in years...

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2014/07/13/sheridans-top-25-free-agents-july-13-edition-dominoes-have-fallen/

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not sure he actually scooped anything or if he just made something and got it partially correct.

Remember that he said the announcement would come on lebronjames.com not through si.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>.<a href="https://twitter.com/CamJon95">@CamJon95</a> Makes no sense for LeBron to sign one- or two-year deal. Players sign longest possible deal as hedge vs. major injury. See Amare.</p>&mdash; Chris Sheridan (@sheridanhoops) <a href="https://twitter.com/sheridanhoops/statuses/487437022475599872">July 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>.@texasfan2785 Yes, I think Bosh to Houston (perfect stretch 4 for Dwight) and LeBron decision timing enables Morey to match on Parsons, too</p>&mdash; Chris Sheridan (@sheridanhoops) <a href="https://twitter.com/sheridanhoops/statuses/487435159697096704">July 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>LeBron's decision to rejoin Cavs will be announced on his Web site before he leaves for World Cup final in Brazil. <a href="http://t.co/qZ0gqCIZIE">http://t.co/qZ0gqCIZIE</a></p>&mdash; Chris Sheridan (@sheridanhoops) <a href="https://twitter.com/sheridanhoops/statuses/487221847835295744">July 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

ESPN doesn't need to acknowledge anything other than SI.

4. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sheridan is a hack who hedged his bets by doubling down on this prediction. His career is dying and this was a way for him to try to revive it.

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

ESPN also refuses to acknowledge that I predicted Lebron to Cavs. Go ahead, ask any of my friends

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

I thought J.R. broke the news.

7. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Sheridan IS just doing it for clicks. He throws crap at the wall and hopes it sticks. He also talks a lot of crap about better journalists than him, trying to provoke drama. Last summer he 100% guaranteed that the Cavs were going to draft Alex Len #1 and said that Chad Ford, Givony, etc didn't know it because they weren't as good at their jobs. Then he said MKG was going to get traded and called their GM a liar. And so on. That's Sheridan.

He mostly gets ignored.

As to 'washed up', I don't know. Was he ever any good? I remember him being pretty crappy while on ESPN too. He just didn't do as much drama. Now he has to do drama to get attention.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Sheridan seems to have sources in Cleveland and a cpl other places, but no one cared about them the last cpl years because they were irrelevant.

9. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

Heard on vegas sports radio that his source was someone inside LeBron's camp.

10. Willis25

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I only recall him saying he trusted his source & story 100%, not claiming 2 credible sources. And he's been off on so many, that I can't give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. He had a 50-50 chance of being right, and it still hasn't appeared on LBJ's website like he claimed it would be.

12. Major

Major Member

And yet, he was wrong on most of the details. All he got right was the destination, and he had a 50/50 shot on that part.

13. Willis25

Maybe we should have our reporters be part of the story instead of reporting on the story

http://thebiglead.com/2014/07/11/chris-broussard-says-dan-gilbert-letter-is-still-hold-up-for-lebron-james/

Broussard was taking speculation from GMs and reporting it as FACT - that is what a hack does...and EPSN still employs this guy (do see my link above with him "confirming" the SI article

14. chandlerbang21

Why is this even news?

15. Major

Major Member

What is the relevance of this? Chris Broussard sucking doesn't make Sheridan any more or less credible. :confused: He was still wrong on most of what he reported.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Sheridan was only partially right. Plus, there were many who said LeBron to Cleveland. He was just claiming it a certainty instead of a likelihood.

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Meanwhile in Broussard's world...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/y1YXc4k2CPY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This is correct. I saw this coming a million miles away, and the fact that he's making a fuss about getting credit just shows you he is just wanting attention.

It was a 50/50 guess. NOBODY needs to get credit for predicting a 50/50 bet.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't like most of the ESPN people. But Sheridan isn't a choir boy either.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If anybody got the "Scoop" it was Lee Jenkins/SI.

Guess work doesn't count